Calimacil vs. Latex

29 Aug 2012 22:57 #1 by Horace Aemains (Kromulus)
Calimacil vs. Latex was created by Horace Aemains (Kromulus)
If i were to by a new sword, should i go with calimacil or latex? Im a little wary of latex as i bought a latex sword last march and the foam is begining to split apart under the latex coating. Conversely, calimacil weapons that are 37" and up are difficult to control when I use one hand. If someone could maybe list the pros and cons or something that would be much appreciated.

Horace Aemains
(Kramer Kwalick)
OOG-Kramer K
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
29 Aug 2012 23:12 #2 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic Calimacil vs. Latex
If a latex weapon is of good make, it can last you for years of constant play. I had one set of mine for 6 or 7 years, and while they show some wear and tear these days and I had one repaired last year, I think that's pretty good for consistent use, especially when for a couple years in there I was using them at two larps a month. I will back latex over Calamacil every time, as I find Calamacil to be too hard and two heavy. I don't like fighting with them and I absolutely hate getting hit with them. A good latex weapon, on the other hand (and it depends on your brand, there can be drastic differences between them) usually has a better weight and balance, and if you know how to pull your blows hurts a lot less to be hit with. So that's my two cents. In the end you really need to be able to handle whatever weapon you plan to buy, or at least one of similar make and model, so that you can see if the feel is right for you. :)

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt D (MattD), Horace Aemains (Kromulus)
29 Aug 2012 23:35 #3 by Horace Aemains (Kromulus)
Replied by Horace Aemains (Kromulus) on topic Calimacil vs. Latex
How can I tell if a latex weapon is of good quality?
The sword I am considering is:http://www.larpexchange.com/larp-oriental-katana-p-308.html
It is made be epic armoury i think.

Horace Aemains
(Kramer Kwalick)
OOG-Kramer K
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
29 Aug 2012 23:42 #4 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic Calimacil vs. Latex
I find that the ones from larpexchange/Epic Armoury are pretty good in my opinion

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Horace Aemains (Kromulus)
29 Aug 2012 23:52 #5 by Horace Aemains (Kromulus)
Thanks caelvan. By the way, what should I call you in game? Since you are Squire to Sir Colin McKraegar, that makes you my superior.

Horace Aemains
(Kramer Kwalick)
OOG-Kramer K
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
30 Aug 2012 00:39 #6 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Calimacil vs. Latex
i concur with Kristens evaluation of Calamacil being too hard. I also agree with her on latex - i had a latex staff for three years of hard use and it had no problems, still have two daggers from 6 and 3 years, and am quite pleased overall. Get yourself a good means of carrying the sword (frog.sheath/scabbard) that will not have it dragging on the ground.

As to a squire being anyone's superior...

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adairis (Adairis), Horace Aemains (Kromulus)
30 Aug 2012 01:34 #7 by Horace Aemains (Kromulus)
Aren't squires better than vassels? I'm not entirely aure were vassels rank actually...

Horace Aemains
(Kramer Kwalick)
OOG-Kramer K
30 Aug 2012 01:54 #8 by Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
Replied by Sean Moulson (Moulson13) on topic Calimacil vs. Latex
were all important

Anhil Shadesar, Knight of Kaladonia

Storyteller
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sindarion (Steven SA), Tatsuya (Darkweave)
30 Aug 2012 02:43 #9 by Horace Aemains (Kromulus)
Is playing in snow/rain/really hot days a problem when using latex? Also, silicon spray is really important right?

Horace Aemains
(Kramer Kwalick)
OOG-Kramer K
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
30 Aug 2012 09:00 - 30 Aug 2012 09:00 #10 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic Calimacil vs. Latex
Let's not start any IG fights here - remember this is an OOG board. :)

Just to note, Squires are lesser nobility, and would be addressed formally as Squire <:Last Name>, since for whatever reason KR uses that convention rather than the standard <Noble Title + First Name> typically used historically. Don't ask me why, its just the way its always been, and as many of us veterans will tell you, you never know how terrible that last name you made up as a 16 year old is until you are made a noble, and suddenly everyone is using it....ugh....

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
Last edit: 30 Aug 2012 09:00 by Elawyn (Elawyn).
  • Kelly
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thank Yous: 134
30 Aug 2012 10:29 #11 by Kelly (Kelly)
Replied by Kelly (Kelly) on topic Calimacil vs. Latex

geezer wrote: As to a squire being anyone's superior...

Just racking up friends in-between games I see :P

Dame Zafrin Yhatzi
Knight of Drega'mire

OOG: Kelly Osborne
The following user(s) said Thank You: geezer (geezer)
  • Tom P
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 124
30 Aug 2012 12:25 #12 by Tom P (Father Ridigan)
Replied by Tom P (Father Ridigan) on topic Calimacil vs. Latex
As someone that uses calamacil, I can agree with the above in regards to weight. But, as I went from heavy boffers, to calamacil, it was a switch to a lighter, more wieldy weapon to me. As far as the hardness, it really seams to depend on the batch of foam being used. I've seen two identical weapons that have very different levels of hardness. You generally have to pull your swings a lot more with a harder calamacil, though using the flat of the blade generally helps mitigate it a bit.

Now on to the pros.
It does not shred from using it as a walking stick(in the case of a staff or polearm). You pretty much have to cut the foam with a blade to damage it. Also, if you leave a weapon in your car durring the summer, it doesn't melt.

Tom P

Father Ridigan

Robert "Dirge" Morgan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elric_Ashby (Elric_Ashby), Horace Aemains (Kromulus)
07 Sep 2012 15:05 #13 by Ehlenathelasa Blacktree (ehlena)
Replied by Ehlenathelasa Blacktree (ehlena) on topic Calimacil vs. Latex
*Disclaimer: I used to work for Calimacil*

In terms of sheer durability, realism, and bang-for-your-buck, I would absolutely back Calimacil every time. The cores are virtually indestructible, and as has been pointed out, you have to basically rip them with something sharp to damage the foam. They're impervious to temperature changes (don't freeze up in the winter, don't melt in the summer), and with good care (or even not good care) you can get 3-5 year minimum life out of the weapons easily. Also, they're really lovely and realistic looking. As far as your worries about 37" and up, calimacil's weapons actually start at 32", and I believe they even carry some 28" blades now. As far as hardness of the foam, the current formula is MUCH softer than the original that many people here are familiar with, and it also depends on whether or not you're using a thin blade (a la the "Captain Deep") or a thicker hitting surface (a la the "Tarkasis Sabers" that are very popular at KR).

As far as weight... that's a personal preference. I know I enjoy the heavier weighting of calimacil weapons as it feels more realistic, but whenever I use the super-light latex on my NPC shifts it's hard not to notice what a difference being able to swing so quickly makes. Personally I know I sometimes wish that the people swinging at me couldn't move so fast, because there's sometimes something very panic-inducing about it.

Latex might be the way to go if you're worrying about being able to handle a large weapon safely and well, but if you intend to go small (under 37"), I find the heft of the calimacils to be very pleasant at that size. I've mostly stopped using my 36", 2lb cutlass (it was becoming unwieldy, and I was receiving too many complaints about injuries), but you couldn't convince me to give up my 28" for anything.

All hunters die. But not today.

OOG Jenna L.
Main: Ehlenathelasa Blacktree
Alt: Hazar Bint Sha'Haban
Alt: Erim Walker [Retired]
07 Oct 2012 16:33 #14 by Horace Aemains (Kromulus)
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the palnatoke squire series and the ragnarok series? Palnatoke seems like the inexpensive version of calimacil so i will prolly go with one of their swords, i just dont wanna by one of the ones for little little kids.

Horace Aemains
(Kramer Kwalick)
OOG-Kramer K
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
07 Oct 2012 20:45 #15 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic Calimacil vs. Latex
I wouldn't say that the Palnatoke line is a more inexpensive form of Calamacil. Maybe in durability, but not construction. The Palnatoke line has a kevlar reinforced tip to prevent it from puncturing through. Mine finally broke after 6 years of constant use, and only because the person using the sword fell wrong. If it wasnt for that, i feel it may have lasted another year or two easily. The only other problem I experienced with mine is the latex bubbled. I had accidentally left it in the car one weekend, and the heat caused the latex to bubble and get sticky. Outside of that, i love it, and will probably be replacing it with another Palnatoke.

As far as the Ragnarok line you mentioned, I suggest staying away from them. They are the ones designed for ages 6-12, and while more inexpensive, they are much softer and a lot less durable. I personally purchased one as a backup weapon, and it only lasted me a year and a half. They are also all much shorter than a standard length one handed weapon, bordering on 30" at best. Also, the big difference between the Squire and Classic lines if I remember correctly is that the Classic is balanced and the handle is weighted, whereas the Squire line is not.

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.563 seconds