Keeping track of time

• Jorik
  • Thank Yous: 45
29 Oct 2012 13:30 #1 by Jorik (rjvanscoten)
Keeping track of time was created by Jorik (rjvanscoten)
How does one keep track of time during the course of the weekend since wrist watches are modern technology and I'm assuming OOG?

Jorik Wulfsbane
Man of the North
Private of the Baronial Guard
Vassal to Pendarvin
OOG: Jeremiah V.
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
29 Oct 2012 13:59 #2 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Keeping track of time
Because there are OOG responsibilities tied to keeping track of time (NPC Shift, Period change, timing for spells & crafting, etc.), a discrete time piece - a watch, a cell phone in a pouch, etc. - is acceptable. As long as it's not blatant, it's fine to use.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • Kelly
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thank Yous: 134
29 Oct 2012 14:26 #3 by Kelly (Kelly)
Replied by Kelly (Kelly) on topic Keeping track of time
There's a clock in the kitchen too.

Dame Zafrin Yhatzi
Knight of Drega'mire

OOG: Kelly Osborne
  • Kleidin
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 152
29 Oct 2012 14:39 #4 by Kleidin (Kleidin)
Replied by Kleidin (Kleidin) on topic Keeping track of time
Nope, it got stole

unless returned since last event

Lady Kleidin du Tenkukai Weaveforger Laurent-Belmont of Kaladonia
Master Witch Hunter, and Elder Druid
OOG: Diane Sodher
  • Chesta
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 134
29 Oct 2012 14:59 #5 by Chesta (Kevin)
Replied by Chesta (Kevin) on topic Keeping track of time
Ok i know there are thieves in Travanse but really!!? A clock! thats just riduculous!!!

Chesta Hartwick MazoKisei
29 Oct 2012 17:04 #6 by Ehlenathelasa Blacktree (ehlena)
Replied by Ehlenathelasa Blacktree (ehlena) on topic Keeping track of time

Dominic wrote: Ok i know there are thieves in Travanse but really!!? A clock! thats just riduculous!!!

Time = money

All hunters die. But not today.

OOG Jenna L.
Main: Ehlenathelasa Blacktree
Alt: Hazar Bint Sha'Haban
Alt: Erim Walker [Retired]
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt D (MattD), Eden Heimdell (amalthea), Sir Takouri Ringi (Takouri Ringi), Croínamara (Jen), Annora (Karen)
29 Oct 2012 23:20 #7 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
Replied by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042) on topic Keeping track of time
I think that the Inn needs a water clock.

The following is courtesy of Wikipedia en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time#History_of_time_measurement_devices

A large variety of devices have been invented to measure time. The study of these devices is called horology.

An Egyptian device that dates to c.1500 BC, similar in shape to a bent T-square, measured the passage of time from the shadow cast by its crossbar on a nonlinear rule. The T was orientated eastward in the mornings. At noon, the device was turned around so that it could cast its shadow in the evening direction.[29]

A sundial uses a gnomon to cast a shadow on a set of markings calibrated to the hour. The position of the shadow marks the hour in local time.

The most precise timekeeping device of the ancient world was the water clock, or clepsydra, one of which was found in the tomb of Egyptian pharaoh Amenhotep I (1525–1504 BC). They could be used to measure the hours even at night, but required manual upkeep to replenish the flow of water. The Greeks and the people from Chaldea (southern Iraq) regularly maintained timekeeping records as an essential part of their astronomical observations. Arab inventors and engineers in particular made improvements on the use of water clocks up to the Middle Ages.[30] In the 11th century, Chinese inventors and engineers invented the first mechanical clocks driven by an escapement mechanism.
A contemporary quartz watch

The hourglass uses the flow of sand to measure the flow of time. They were used in navigation. Ferdinand Magellan used 18 glasses on each ship for his circumnavigation of the globe (1522).[31] Incense sticks and candles were, and are, commonly used to measure time in temples and churches across the globe. Waterclocks, and later, mechanical clocks, were used to mark the events of the abbeys and monasteries of the Middle Ages. Richard of Wallingford (1292–1336), abbot of St. Alban's abbey, famously built a mechanical clock as an astronomical orrery about 1330.[32][33] Great advances in accurate time-keeping were made by Galileo Galilei and especially Christiaan Huygens with the invention of pendulum driven clocks.

The English word clock probably comes from the Middle Dutch word klocke—which, in turn, derives from the mediaeval Latin word clocca, which ultimately derives from Celtic and is cognate with French, Latin, and German words that mean bell. The passage of the hours at sea were marked by bells, and denoted the time (see ship's bells). The hours were marked by bells in abbeys as well as at sea.

Gunnar Gunnarson, Medicine Man
--
OOG: Joe Hines
Former Development Officer
  • Aemorniel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • In Truth, all things are Bound.
  • Thank Yous: 108
30 Oct 2012 20:51 #8 by Aemorniel (Aemorniel)
Replied by Aemorniel (Aemorniel) on topic Keeping track of time
I wear my watch openly at the game because it is a tiny charm on a charm bracelets so there's lots of ways you can get away with it. The most common way I've seen is to hide your phone in your pouch/bag/pocket. I think there are some watches out there available that are really discreet because they are disguised as a locket you can wear around your neck.

Loremaster Aemorniel Estelwen Silverbow
The Quill of the Witch Hunter Academy of Travance
Apprentice to the Baronial Small Council
Court Scholar of Pendarvin
Assistant Editor and Columnist of The Travance Chronicle

While Others Succumb, We Overcome
~~~~~~~~~
OOG--JJ G.

The past cannot be changed, forgotten, edited, or erased. It can only be accepted.
  • KaT Adams
  • Thank Yous: 25
02 Nov 2012 15:59 #9 by KaT Adams (katadams)
Replied by KaT Adams (katadams) on topic Keeping track of time
There's also the old hand to the horizon method, though it is not at all very accurate. Extend your arm fully, put your palm out and turned sideways, and measure the number of palm widths from horizon to sun, and that's --approximately-- the number of hours til sun down (or since sun up). It's one of the least accurate methods, but it is very in-period, especially for those who spent a lot of time outdoors, and it's a nice guideline when you're in scene and need a guestimate without breaking the atmosphere. Since Periods change at the six's, and that is --roughly-- when you get sun up and down, it is at least accurate enough to warn you that the period's running out. Admittedly, this is a very by-the-seat-of-your-pants method, but it's gotten me back to camp before dark may a time! (when I stupidly left my watch at base)

KaT Adams

"His name meant 'Glad Voice,' and once again had meaning."
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.496 seconds