Barbarian Beserker

• Jorik
  • Thank Yous: 45
26 Nov 2012 23:04 #1 by Jorik (rjvanscoten)
Barbarian Beserker was created by Jorik (rjvanscoten)
I'm thinking about making my character a barbarian beserker. I'm trying to strategically map out how I would spend my initial build, and I was wondering how prudent it would be to enter the game with Strength +1. My way of thinking is that even though its alot of build to spend on a starting skill, it will leave me with a very large selection of skills to spend saved up build on once I actually enter the game. I was just wondering if this kind of move is unorthodox, and what the "pros and cons" may be from some more experienced players.
-Jeremiah

Jorik Wulfsbane
Man of the North
Private of the Baronial Guard
Vassal to Pendarvin
OOG: Jeremiah V.
  • Kelly
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thank Yous: 134
26 Nov 2012 23:06 #2 by Kelly (Kelly)
Replied by Kelly (Kelly) on topic Barbarian Beserker
I can't tell you if its a good idea or bad idea. I can tell you that if you do it and decide after your first game that you're not so keen on the decision, you can work with Goley or Jason or re-writing your card to spend your build a different way.

Dame Zafrin Yhatzi
Knight of Drega'mire

OOG: Kelly Osborne
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
26 Nov 2012 23:22 #3 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic Barbarian Beserker
I write the player cards so maybe I could shed some light on this. Str +1 is a good skill to have and the first purchase of this skill costs you 8. However that only leaves you with 2 build remaining for any other skill(s) that you want, this includes weapon skills. Ultimately it is up to you on how to write your character. Kelly is right though. If you don't like your character after your first event you can rewrite.

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
27 Nov 2012 07:43 #4 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
Replied by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042) on topic Barbarian Beserker
I am a relatively new player and I have been looking at lots of combinations to help a friend make their first character.

If I were to make a starting Barbarian Berserker I think I would not get Str +1 at character creation. Since it is on the Barbarian Racial skill list you can learn it without needing to find a teacher once. At your first event you can probably earn the 8 build needed to buy it and then you would have it at your second event ready to learn all of the skills it opens up.

Good luck with whatever build you do decide on and we'll see you in Travance!

Gunnar Gunnarson, Medicine Man
--
OOG: Joe Hines
Former Development Officer
The following user(s) said Thank You: Uhtred (Erich Lutz)
  • Sindarion
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • "I hope you all enjoy iambic heptameter."
  • Thank Yous: 318
27 Nov 2012 10:42 #5 by Sindarion (Steven SA)
Replied by Sindarion (Steven SA) on topic Barbarian Beserker
Considering all the weapon profs for Berserkers are 4 build, having +1 strength won't do much if you don't have a weapon to use!
Also, don't forget to look at the commoner list! There are some pretty good skills off of there. and trades can be very useful to have\!

~ Knight Morgan "Sindarion" Sinclair
[strike]Vagabond[/strike] Harper

OOG:
Steven Sebastian Amore
  • Jorik
  • Thank Yous: 45
27 Nov 2012 11:44 #6 by Jorik (rjvanscoten)
Replied by Jorik (rjvanscoten) on topic Barbarian Beserker
this is all good feedback. I wasn't aware that racial skills could be learned without a teacher. My plan was to accumulate some build by NPCing for a while, that way I could spend up to 13 build at character creation on the strength +1, and then the 4 build for the 2HE, leaving me with a pretty open slate to spend whatever build i had left on learning combat skills my first event. I'm gonna have to rethink it and come up with several skillset combinations. Thanks!
-Jeremiah

Jorik Wulfsbane
Man of the North
Private of the Baronial Guard
Vassal to Pendarvin
OOG: Jeremiah V.
  • Gustav
  • Thank Yous: 7
27 Nov 2012 13:45 #7 by Gustav (Whitt)
Replied by Gustav (Whitt) on topic Barbarian Beserker
If you are thinking of full time NPC'ing for a bit first, then you might not want to put any racial skills in your initial 10(13) build. Unless I am mistaken, you can create your character with your starting build and then learn additional skills while you are NPC'ing as long as you already meet the pre-reqs for that skill and don't need a teacher (eg Racial Skills and dupes of skills you already know).

So in your case, get your weapon skills, a prof, and some rp skills from the commoner list. Then, keep on NPC'ing to earn the build for the +1 Strength. Enter your first event with both? If I got that right. I hope I got that right.

=====
OOG:
Mark Whittaker
Noob
=====

"There's a fine line between love and hate. I have very wide feet."
  • Odo Garaath
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Back and Ready For More!
  • Thank Yous: 12
27 Nov 2012 15:25 #8 by Odo Garaath (Odo)
Replied by Odo Garaath (Odo) on topic Barbarian Beserker
Hello!

I can tell you from experience as a Berserker, that a big weapon will definitely help you in combat. At that level, having a strength prof will be optional, but become required after a few games.

That said, I suggest looking into saving for a "Critical Attack" or "Throw" or "Body Block". All three have been invaluable for me and my characters 8 years as being a Berserker.

Berserker is fun and you'll like it when you're mowing down foes among your lower level peers!

"Praise be to Enax, and blessing to his followers."

(Tom Senger )
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
27 Nov 2012 17:08 #9 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic Barbarian Beserker

Whitt wrote: If you are thinking of full time NPC'ing for a bit first, then you might not want to put any racial skills in your initial 10(13) build. Unless I am mistaken, you can create your character with your starting build and then learn additional skills while you are NPC'ing as long as you already meet the pre-reqs for that skill and don't need a teacher (eg Racial Skills and dupes of skills you already know).

So in your case, get your weapon skills, a prof, and some rp skills from the commoner list. Then, keep on NPC'ing to earn the build for the +1 Strength. Enter your first event with both? If I got that right. I hope I got that right.

I believe you have to pay for the event, while NPCing to learn any new skills on your card however, racials or no racials. If I am wrong someone correct me on this.

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
  • Chris G.
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Our Life is Made by the Death of Others...
  • Thank Yous: 95
27 Nov 2012 17:34 #10 by Chris G. (Cross)
Replied by Chris G. (Cross) on topic Barbarian Beserker
This is incorrect.

You can only learn skills while you are PCing. This goes for Racials, Skills you already know or otherwise. Your character must be present in the game and you must be dressed as your character and paid to PC to learn any skills under any circumstances except for the Ball or Banquet Self-Teach.

[hr]
Squire Lucas R. Brand
Squire to Lord Antrim Ardentfyre
--
Tanis Rily'anna
--
OOG: Chris Goley
Mook
  • Gustav
  • Thank Yous: 7
27 Nov 2012 22:42 #11 by Gustav (Whitt)
Replied by Gustav (Whitt) on topic Barbarian Beserker