New guy with questions concerning Psionics!

• Kett
  • Thank Yous: 0
31 Dec 2012 19:05 - 31 Dec 2012 19:08 #1 by Kett (Kett)
New guy with questions concerning Psionics! was created by Kett (Kett)
First and foremost, happy new years!

I'm planning on joining y'all (no red squiggles? Bravo, spell check) for the next January event, possibly with a few siblings in tow. While I'm probably going to NPC my first event, I'm throwing together concepts for a character I'd eventually like to roll. I've been browsing the rules for a little while, and I'm a little confused on the psionic abilities. More specifically, how they function. I've searched the forums, but the answers I saw only made it more confusing. Perhaps I'm just missing a nuance in the wording due to my unfamiliarity with the game, but I could use a little clarification.

"Psionic Disciplines of 1st to 3rd rank produce no visual or audible effect."

"Psionic Attachs use Surge Casting instead of the normal Concentration method when cast."

"The Psion must still throw a spell packet and connect with the target for the effect to work, and the target may attempt to dodge the spell packet."

However, I also saw this:

"All Psionic Attacks are "visible" in the same way spells, prayers, or other casted effects are."

"Psionic Disciplines require 10 seconds of concentration to cast, regardless of rank."

"Psionic Attacks automatically hit their target, and have a maximum range of 20 feet."

So if anyone's willing, I could use a little clarification. Does a Psion need spell packets for their abilities, or do they automatically hit? Do they utilize the surge casting or the concentration method? Are the attacks visible / audible or no?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to meeting everyone in a few weeks!

PS: Oh, and how chilly does it get up there this time of year? We're down in VA, so we're not really accustomed to the insanity that is northern winters.
Last edit: 31 Dec 2012 19:08 by Kett (Kett).
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
31 Dec 2012 19:48 - 31 Dec 2012 19:49 #2 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic New guy with questions concerning Psionics!
All schools of psionics need a spell packet to hit their target. ONLY psionic attacks hit their target automatically within the 20 ft range.

10 second concentration part refers to all schools EXCEPT for the attacks, that is the surge casting method

the attacks are visible, the other schools(ranks 1-3) are not.

Hope this cleared it up. Name's Conor by the way. I help with the player cards for new PC's. Hope to see you soon!

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
Last edit: 31 Dec 2012 19:49 by Caelvan (Caelvan).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kett (Kett)
  • Kett
31 Dec 2012 19:52 #3 by Kett (Kett)
Replied by Kett (Kett) on topic New guy with questions concerning Psionics!
Ahh, I see. Thanks for clearing that up!
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
31 Dec 2012 19:54 #4 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic New guy with questions concerning Psionics!
We have a weather forecast link on the website. A week before you arrive, you can check the link & see how the weather maybe. We have had very mild winters, & we have had snow storm apocalypses. Usually we'll post warnings before an event if we think it'll get bad.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
01 Jan 2013 09:28 #5 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
Replied by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042) on topic New guy with questions concerning Psionics!
What part of Virginia are you coming from? I'm in Sterling.

Joe H.

Gunnar Gunnarson, Medicine Man
--
OOG: Joe Hines
Former Development Officer
01 Jan 2013 16:03 #6 by Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
Replied by Sean Moulson (Moulson13) on topic New guy with questions concerning Psionics!
It will be cold. If this January is anything like the last one bring layers, extra socks, boot warmers, long johns, extra blankets. Over packing in the winter months is so much better then under packing and getting frostbite.

Anhil Shadesar, Knight of Kaladonia

Storyteller
  • Kett
02 Jan 2013 22:12 #7 by Kett (Kett)
Replied by Kett (Kett) on topic New guy with questions concerning Psionics!
Thanks for the heads up, we'll pack accordingly.

I'm coming from the southside of Richmond, myself. Gonna be a little bit of a trip but we're hoping it's worth it!
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.519 seconds