Many thanks and the inevitable new player question

• Faila
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 173
31 Jan 2013 16:44 - 31 Jan 2013 16:45 #1 by Faila (Faila)
First, I wanted to thank everyone for the great time Alexander and I had at our first event last Friday and Saturday (I had to put on my "mom" hat and take him home after feast Saturday night - he was sick and I didn't think a another night with 4 hours of sleep was the best choice). I very much appreciate all of the kindnesses, large and small, that were extended. From gifts of chocolate, to lessons on bargaining, to patient "clarify" explanations, you made us feel welcome. Gus, Alex, Carla and Renee (and several others), thank you for so graciously sharing a room with an oldster and younger, and James thanks for your help with accommodations. The kid has been feverishly debating professions and races for the last 5 days -it is safe to say you will see us again soon.

A couple highlights for me:

- when the Avatar sneered at my NPC's short sword and snarled, "Ha Ha - That is no sword!" I am sorry I can't remember your OOG name but it was great fun watching you.
- playing an NPC corrupted dire bear, and realizing with amazement as I downed a young Nyad that I actually remembered to call "bite, 20 decay" as I hit him (is it wrong to like whacking other people with sticks so much, especially with two sticks ).
- watching my 11 year old's face as he watched Gideon perform a ritual. His eyes were huge.

Now a few practical questions.

1. Is it allowed for people to come to events for only part of the time? If we wanted to come just on Saturday from 10:00 am until after feast to NPC or help in the kitchen would that be okay?
2. I know people usually come into game with a profession already selected for their character, but is there a penalty if you start in game as a commoner and select a profession at a later event? For example, I have a solid idea for my PC, but she needs to decide between two paths, and it makes sense to me that she would make that decision IG after speaking with some people. But if it messes up my build dramatically or something like that, it would be good to know in advance.
3. Finally, I would appreciate some OOG feedback on some character questions, but would prefer to not post a bunch of IG info here. If there is someone who is willing to PM me with some assistance (primarily about crafting and spellcraft), I would appreciate it.

Once again, thanks for the great fun.

Crystal

IG: Faila Stormshard Steelson
Owner of Steelson Smithing and Culpepper Drumworks
"May your heart be brave, your mind fierce, and your spirit strong."

Alt: "Gigi"
Dealer in rare books and librarian

OOG: Crystal G.
Last edit: 31 Jan 2013 16:45 by Faila (Faila).
  • Matthias
  • Thank Yous: 7
31 Jan 2013 16:56 #2 by Matthias (Matthias)
Replied by Matthias (Matthias) on topic Many thanks and the inevitable new player question
Heya! Glad you had a great time, as did I :-)

An answer to one of your questions, according to the rulebook if you choose to start as a Commoner you are given 10 extra Build (which is the Build cost to open a Profession). So you aren't penalized per se, but it is true that the Skills on the Commoner List tend to be more expensive than on other lists, unless you stick to Commoner only skills like Trade to start with :-)

OOG: Nicholas B.
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
31 Jan 2013 17:06 - 31 Jan 2013 22:28 #3 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic Many thanks and the inevitable new player question
Hey. Name's Conor let me see if I can help, and expand on Nick's explanation.

1: Yes, However if you PC you still pay the full amount.

2:(As per Rulebook) Beginning characters start with their first profession free and they receive 10 build to spend on starting skills. Players may also choose to start their character as a commoner. Such characters will begin with no profession list and an additional 10 build that they are allowed to spend at character creation. These characters can only buy skills from the Common list, and cannot buy body, caster, or career points. See below, point 6, for more details on determining starting build.

So ordinarily you can start with 10-13 build for skills (normally 10 the other 3 is coming from SP or bought build) but if you choose Commoner to start AND ONLY COMMONER you get 20 to start with the possibility of 23 (again the other 3 coming from SP or bought build). You don't have to spend it all at once. Like Nick suggests the 10 build is what it costs to open a list, so I would save that 10 so that you can open a list eventually and not worry about the build cost of opening that list.

3: I'm a New Player Marshal and help new players with these type of questions, you can shoot me your questions, and I'll help you out.

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
Last edit: 31 Jan 2013 22:28 by Caelvan (Caelvan).
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.449 seconds