Greetings from a future Londwyn!

23 Jul 2013 15:58 #1 by Meander Correlis (SarahBrand)
Greetings from a future Londwyn! was created by Meander Correlis (SarahBrand)
Hello, everyone! I'm no stranger to medievalism, foam-weapon combat, or role playing, but this will be the first time I combine all three in suc an intensive setting! I've been lucky to be in near-constant contact with friends, new player marshals, and logistics persons for the last few days, so most of my questions have been answered.

That, and I've read through and memorized virtually everything in the rulebook but the spell lists. But hey, I want to be a Londwyn Alchemist. I don't want or need to know about magic. XD

Speaking of Londwyns, I'd like to know more about them from a lore perspective. Can anyone tell me where they are in terms of technological advancements? What Academic skills people choose for that special Lore skill? And do any players use an English accent, as I -really- want to?

If you've made it this for, thanks for reading that text blurb, and looking forward to roleplaying with you!

~Meander Correlis, Master Alchemist
Baronial Ambassador to Londwyn
Champion of Homunculi City

(OOG: Sarah Brand)
  • Lois Heimdell
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • "All good stories are built on conflict," said the Raven to the Writing Desk.
  • Thank Yous: 1026
23 Jul 2013 16:58 #2 by Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Replied by Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell) on topic Re:Greetings from a future Londwyn!
Hello there, future Londwyn!

Sure, ask the hard questions, why don't you ;) There are no currently set specifics on Londwyn technology, but that should be remedied soon. Are you planning on coming in this upcoming weekend? If so, most of us have been going with generic low-tech early Victorian/Colonial. Don't get too specific for now and you should be fine. As for the accent, I fake one, and Cory uses a more exaggerated version of his real one; the others are dirty Southerners who don't know how to speak properly ;) Oh, that's something you should probably know - there's a north and south Londwyn, with the north being more upper-class and the south being more rough.

I'm sort of assuming by your username that you're female, in which case feel free to ask me about costuming for Londwyns (or anything else). As a side note, you should edit your forum signature to use your real name (it's one of our forum rules).

I look forward to seeing you at game!

-Cassie aka Lois

----

----
((OOG: Cassie Stanley, Marshal Deputy))
The following user(s) said Thank You: Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
23 Jul 2013 17:02 - 23 Jul 2013 17:03 #3 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
Replied by Caldor Eirson (Caldor) on topic Greetings from a future Londwyn!
I'm ready to introduce her to every Londwyn I know!! I've played with Sarah before in other LARPs so I'm excited to see her up here at KR.

Caldor Eirson,

Gothi and High Priest of Gaia
Wedding Planner, Match Maker,
Vintner
Spiritual Advisor To Kaladonia

~~~~~~
OOG: Jason M.
Deputy Kitchen Marshal
Land System Marshal

Q: How many people does it take to teach a barbarian how to read?
A: 1 knight, 3 squires, and 1 master of the mages guild.
~~~~~~~
Last edit: 23 Jul 2013 17:03 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gallion (Gallion)
  • Augustus
  • Thank Yous: 56
23 Jul 2013 17:13 #4 by Augustus (OEBlaze)
Replied by Augustus (OEBlaze) on topic Greetings from a future Londwyn!
Hello there!

My name is Justin, and I am another New Player Marshall. I'm glad to hear most of your questions have already been answered.

I can't get into specifics about Londwyn technology, because I'm not that familiar with it myself.

As for accents, you can most definitely use a British accent. As Cassie said, Cory (Our friendly neighborhood bumble brain) uses an exaggerated version of his own, but it is not needed. When I was NPCing a South Londwynian once, I used a Cockney accent.

If you have any more questions, feel free to shoot me a PM, and I'll see what I can do for you.

Welcome to Knight Realms! I look forward to seeing you in Travance!

John Smith
[hr][hr]Augustus Waters
Private in the Baronial Guard

[hr]OOG: Justin E. Torres
New Player Marshal
[hr]
  • Goggs
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 226
23 Jul 2013 17:59 #5 by Goggs (coryan)
Replied by Goggs (coryan) on topic Greetings from a future Londwyn!
Ello Sarah,

Really great that you're thinking about playing a Londwyn! Looking forward to meeting you both in- and out-of-game.

As regards academic lores: it's probably more fun for you to find that sort of thing out by interacting with characters in-game (or trying to guess when you meet them!) However, in broad strokes, the academic lores that are out there seem to be highly varied, and range from quite general to curiously specific. With a few notable exceptions, most seem to fall within the domain of the sciences - but by no means does that necessitate that yours should too! It's a very nice way to give your character some knowledge about whatever it is they might have been doing before they came to Travance.

A few players rock a British accent in some form or another - though many play races other than Londwyn. So the choice is really yours to make. I try my best to put one on, but I don't think it's fooled anyone yet ;)

If you'd like a run-down of a few important places for Londwyns (and a few bits of info on what we've heard is happening there recently) then by all means PM me.

See you soon!

- A. C. Goggins
Quartermaster

OOG: Cory W-S
"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a Maul."
23 Jul 2013 18:55 #6 by Meander Correlis (SarahBrand)
Replied by Meander Correlis (SarahBrand) on topic Greetings from a future Londwyn!
You've all been so wonderfully responsive! Thank you, all!

I've already gone up to Quadrivium, so I'd probably pick up something like Chemistry or Calculush in the history I've written, she's had extensive academic background, so I wanted to come in with the higher maths and sciences and leave any additional learning to things like history, local cultures, and practical skills.

And I'm glad to be told of the distinctions in accents between north and south! I knew about the geographical differences--I in fact made Meander (female, yes) from the Dread Hills to give her some impetus to get out of there, but I'm thinking that the Northern areas would make more sense. Her accent's definitely the "Queen's English". She can leave because the Northerners were too stuck up, instead! ;) Meander's a bleeding-heart philanthropist, anyway.

Sarah Brand is my real name; I thought my character name and my real name were both in my signature, just not in the post itself.

Oh, and question about weaponry: I'm taking Staff Proficiency, but I have a dagger I want to get checked and wear. I know I can't use it to deal damage to people, but would I be able to use it on inanimate objects? Like to skin an animal, or chop up herbs?

~Meander Correlis, Master Alchemist
Baronial Ambassador to Londwyn
Champion of Homunculi City

(OOG: Sarah Brand)
  • Lois Heimdell
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • "All good stories are built on conflict," said the Raven to the Writing Desk.
  • Thank Yous: 1026
23 Jul 2013 19:16 #7 by Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Replied by Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell) on topic Re:Greetings from a future Londwyn!
My apologies on the signature! I seem unable to see some of them - the curse of mobile tech ;)

I look forward to meeting you and your character in game!

----

----
((OOG: Cassie Stanley, Marshal Deputy))
23 Jul 2013 20:58 #8 by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933)
Replied by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933) on topic Greetings from a future Londwyn!
Glad to see another newcomer. You may have to teach me a bit about doing the medievalist thing as I am almost completely clueless.

Donald MacFhionnlaigh
OOG: Sean Farquharson "Jarhead"
  • Aemorniel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • In Truth, all things are Bound.
  • Thank Yous: 108
23 Jul 2013 22:13 #9 by Aemorniel (Aemorniel)
Replied by Aemorniel (Aemorniel) on topic Greetings from a future Londwyn!
If the dagger is a boffer dagger, I'm sure it'll pass inspections but it's good you want to get it checked. I've seen people RP with a dagger doing surgery, dissecting creatures, etc. I've also seen people RPing that without implements at all. From the sounds of your PC idea, dissect would be a really good idea for you to pick up as a skill--also gives you a reason to carry the dagger around. With the skill, you can RP cutting open elementals and such to collect essences which are what is needed to make Rank III and IV potions. Some creatures like Tamiril boars also have hides that if you dissect them, you can collect it. If you don't have the proper skill though, you don't get the goods.

Loremaster Aemorniel Estelwen Silverbow
The Quill of the Witch Hunter Academy of Travance
Apprentice to the Baronial Small Council
Court Scholar of Pendarvin
Assistant Editor and Columnist of The Travance Chronicle

While Others Succumb, We Overcome
~~~~~~~~~
OOG--JJ G.

The past cannot be changed, forgotten, edited, or erased. It can only be accepted.
24 Jul 2013 18:29 #10 by Jade Peverell (Angel M.)
Replied by Jade Peverell (Angel M.) on topic Greetings from a future Londwyn!
Hello there Sarah,

I'm glad to hear that you're interested in Knight Realms. I see most of your questions have been answered but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to contact me. I'll do what I can to help and if by chance I can not, I can definately point you to someone that can.

I hope to see you soon and I look forward to roleplaying with you! :-)

Jade Peverell

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home."
OOG: Angel Mowery

Role Play Marshal
New Player Marshal
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.564 seconds