What should I bring if I want to NPC the entire weekend.

• Jorik
  • Thank Yous: 45
26 Aug 2013 21:46 #1 by Jorik (rjvanscoten)
Hello. I'm a new player who discovered this website last october, became totally obsessed and pored over every page of the book, and website for a good two months, only to realize that with school, and planning a wedding I didn't have the time to come and experience KR. Needless to say I'm hoping to come up in November and plan on NPCing my first weekend or two to rack up build, and because I don't have money to invest in a costume and other character related stuff. At this point the best I can do is show up wearing NPC basics. Is there a link somewhere that tells you what to bring if you are gonna NPC the weekend? I realize I need to bring dark clothing for when I'm in NPC character, but what do you guys bring when it comes to comfort for the weekend. Sleeping bag, bug spray, socks, etc. etc. Thanks again and looking forward to hearing from you.
-Jeremiah

Jorik Wulfsbane
Man of the North
Private of the Baronial Guard
Vassal to Pendarvin
OOG: Jeremiah V.
  • Jorik
26 Aug 2013 21:47 #2 by Jorik (rjvanscoten)
Replied by Jorik (rjvanscoten) on topic What should I bring if I want to NPC the entire weekend.
*planning on coming up in October, not November

Jorik Wulfsbane
Man of the North
Vassal to Pendarvin
26 Aug 2013 21:53 #3 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
Replied by Caldor Eirson (Caldor) on topic What should I bring if I want to NPC the entire weekend.
Socks, socks, and more socks.

Beyond that... this is your best source of info

www.knightrealms.com/new-players/206-your-first-event.html

Caldor Eirson,

Gothi and High Priest of Gaia
Wedding Planner, Match Maker,
Vintner
Spiritual Advisor To Kaladonia

~~~~~~
OOG: Jason M.
Deputy Kitchen Marshal
Land System Marshal

Q: How many people does it take to teach a barbarian how to read?
A: 1 knight, 3 squires, and 1 master of the mages guild.
~~~~~~~
The following user(s) said Thank You: Croínamara (Jen), Jorik (rjvanscoten)
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
26 Aug 2013 21:55 - 26 Aug 2013 21:57 #4 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic What should I bring if I want to NPC the entire weekend.
Hey Jeremiah. My name is Conor and I'm a new player marshal. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask either here, or send me a PM.

To add to Jason's post EXTRA SOCKS! We get puddles there so having extra socks will do you well. :)

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
Last edit: 26 Aug 2013 21:57 by Caelvan (Caelvan).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jorik (rjvanscoten), Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
  • Jorik
26 Aug 2013 22:12 #5 by Jorik (rjvanscoten)
Replied by Jorik (rjvanscoten) on topic What should I bring if I want to NPC the entire weekend.
Perfect, thank you Gentlemen.
-Jeremiah

Jorik Wulfsbane
Man of the North
Vassal to Pendarvin
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
26 Aug 2013 22:19 #6 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic What should I bring if I want to NPC the entire weekend.
Towel for shower
Soap
Shampoo

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • Croínamara
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Sock Marshal
  • Thank Yous: 467
27 Aug 2013 03:02 - 27 Aug 2013 03:03 #7 by Croínamara (Jen)
Replied by Croínamara (Jen) on topic What should I bring if I want to NPC the entire weekend.
DID WE MENTION SOCKS?? IM NOT SURE GUYS, BETTER NOT FORGET TO MENTION SOCKS.

Really.
If you think you've brought enough socks you are wrong bring more.

PJ's, Sleeping Bag, Pillow (people always forget their pillow).
Shower stuff. "An intersteller hitchhiker never goes anywhere without their towel."

Good shoes.
I cannot stress that one enough. You need good shoes. Be comfortable. Be dry.
Black sneakers are more than appropriate for NPC duty.
Black boots are a plus.

Also, snack food.
There's normally plenty of food to find ingame, but regardless, if it's 3am and you want a granola bar, you've got one in your bag. I can't tell you how many times I've praised the lords nutrigrain and quaker chewy in those circumstances.

Sunblock.
Bug spray.
And you're golden :)

Croínamara Ull Uidhir of Clan Uidhir
Squire to Knight Captain Magnus
Chancellor of the Arts
Sergeant of the Baronial Guard

OOG:
Jen F.
Roleplay Marshal
Last edit: 27 Aug 2013 03:03 by Croínamara (Jen).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jade Peverell (Angel M.)
27 Aug 2013 12:56 #8 by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred)
Replied by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred) on topic Re:Re: What should I bring if I want to NPC the entire weekend.
Plain black pants and plain black shirt. Also you might want to pack thermals just in case. Also I usually recommend bringing a few snack bars and water. Even though you can get water here... a fresh bottle at night, in the morning, or just when you are dying is nice

-OOG Michael Smith
  • Kelly
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thank Yous: 134
27 Aug 2013 13:17 #9 by Kelly (Kelly)
If you want to talk about making a starting costume for when you're ready to play your character, many of us (myself included) sew and make costumes on commission. Let us know.

Dame Zafrin Yhatzi
Knight of Drega'mire

OOG: Kelly Osborne
  • Augustus
  • Thank Yous: 56
27 Aug 2013 15:12 #10 by Augustus (OEBlaze)
Replied by Augustus (OEBlaze) on topic What should I bring if I want to NPC the entire weekend.
Hello, I'm Justin, another New Player Marshall here at KR.

All of the above suggestions are great, I just wanted to mention that boots are preferable to sneakers, I know they're not cheap, but an old pair of snow boots will be a million times better than a pair of sneakers. I can't count the amount of times I've walked through a puddle in my old snow boots and was blessed to have my feet come out dry.

Sneakers work, but if you're going that route, I would strongly advise against Converse, or anything that is also as permeable. Try for something that's waterproof, or you will end up needing all of those socks.

If there's anything else you decide you need, feel free to shoot me a PM, or post here, and we'll get back to you.

Welcome, and I look forward to seeing you in game!

John Smith
[hr][hr]Augustus Waters
Private in the Baronial Guard

[hr]OOG: Justin E. Torres
New Player Marshal
[hr]
  • Kleidin
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 152
27 Aug 2013 17:05 #11 by Kleidin (Kleidin)
Replied by Kleidin (Kleidin) on topic What should I bring if I want to NPC the entire weekend.
Socks are important - but please, stay FAR AWAY from polyester and cheapo socks. Especially once it turns cold, wool, silk or wool/silk blends are best. Chillblains and frostbite suck.

Wool and silk keep you warm even when wet. Cotton freezes to you.

Lady Kleidin du Tenkukai Weaveforger Laurent-Belmont of Kaladonia
Master Witch Hunter, and Elder Druid
OOG: Diane Sodher
The following user(s) said Thank You: Annora (Karen), Faila (Faila)
28 Aug 2013 22:24 #12 by Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
Replied by Sean Moulson (Moulson13) on topic What should I bring if I want to NPC the entire weekend.
Hi,
My name is Sean and I am another new player marshall. Let me add my two cents

SOCKS!

As well as solid shoes. What Diane said as well good socks. But like everyone else message me if you have any more questions.

Anhil Shadesar, Knight of Kaladonia

Storyteller
  • Goggs
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 226
28 Aug 2013 23:40 #13 by Goggs (coryan)
Not sure anyone's mentioned this yet but you should probably bring some extra socks.

- A. C. Goggins
Quartermaster

OOG: Cory W-S
"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a Maul."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Meander Correlis (SarahBrand)
29 Aug 2013 01:36 #14 by Chris McKenzie (cgmckenzie)
Replied by Chris McKenzie (cgmckenzie) on topic What should I bring if I want to NPC the entire weekend.
Generic clothing that fits into a medieval/fantasy setting. Yes, you can get by with black sweat suits, but having your own "peasant garb"is very useful for when you go to get breakfast or wander to your tent at night. Not having to go out of game during those walks is nice. plus it looks better to layer the costuming over a period outfit.

Everybody jokes about bringing enough socks, but I have found 2 pairs a day to be more than adequate; usually, after the first puddle and sock change you will be more careful.

Thermal layers are vitally important, so long johns, under armor, and even period sweaters are very useful for staying OOG warm but keeping an IG appearance. Bring a black knit hat and black gloves, you will appreciate them immensely once the temperature falls.

Bring some energy or clif bars to munch on; it is vital that you keep a high caloric intake or you will crash on Sunday like a bus full of nuns in a superman film.

You must bring a solid pair of boots; you will be far more uncomfortable than if you brought your hiking boots with you than a pair of sneakers. Take care of your feet and you will enjoy your time camping more than the poor fellow who didn't!

OOG: Chris
IG: Benjamin Daimler
IG: Grobspit Snaggletooth G.D.S
The following user(s) said Thank You: Faila (Faila), Kunkel Anvilhorn (Kildrig)
  • Faila
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 173
29 Aug 2013 21:38 #15 by Faila (Faila)
I can't disagree with the advice to bring a lot of socks, but I would suggest that if your socks are getting wet, your shoes are also probably getting wet. Thus, I would suggest you bring an extra pair of shoes (especially if the weather is poor).

I also like to have an entire set of dry clothes (including shoes) in my car as a back up. Whether backpacking, camping, or roleplaying, knowing you can change into a dry and warm kit when all is said and done gives you more options. If I knew I had to drive two hours soaking wet I might be more cautious about my actions prior to my departure -- dry clothes allow me to forget about the after-game repercussions.

Looking forward to seeing you IG.

IG: Faila Stormshard Steelson
Owner of Steelson Smithing and Culpepper Drumworks
"May your heart be brave, your mind fierce, and your spirit strong."

Alt: "Gigi"
Dealer in rare books and librarian

OOG: Crystal G.
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.600 seconds