New Player Introduction

13 Oct 2013 17:38 #1 by Sierra Chandler (sierrakchandler)
New Player Introduction was created by Sierra Chandler (sierrakchandler)
Hello all!

My name is Sierra Chandler. I am a college student in NYC and will be NCPing for this November's event. I have no LARPing experience whatsoever. I actually heard about Knight Realms last year at NYCC but never found the time (ehem nerve) to do it. This year at NYCC I found the booth again and couldn't stop thinking about it. Anyways, now I do. :cheer:

Is there anyone who lives in the NY area who can tell me the best way to get out there in time for the New Player Orientation at 8pm? Or, you know, any other advice? What was your first time at Knight Realms like?

Thanks!
- Sierra C.

OOG: Sierra C.
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
13 Oct 2013 17:45 #2 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic New Player Introduction
Are you driving/do you have a car is the first question... if yes, then just click the "Directions to Events" link & plan accordingly for traffic & travel time.

If no... the same link does list a New Jersey Transit method of arriving at Dover Station, in which a cab ride to camp is possible... or if you post in the "Looking for a Ride" section of the forum, someone maybe able to pick you up from the station. Again, plan accordingly for travel and traffic.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sierra Chandler (sierrakchandler)
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
13 Oct 2013 17:52 #3 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic Re:New Player Introduction
Hey Sierra. My name is Conor and I'm a new player marshal. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
  • Onca
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 202
13 Oct 2013 19:15 #4 by Onca (Lorelai)
Replied by Onca (Lorelai) on topic Re:Re: New Player Introduction
Hey Sierra,

I hear ya. It can be a bit scary at first. Rest assured that passes quickly. My name is Rachel, I'm also a new player marshal. If you want to talk logistics and first time tips, or anything else, please feel frr to pm me or look for Rachel Onca on facebook, and we can chat through your concerns.

Welcome :)
-Rachel

~ Lorelai Sihnon VonRitter
Huntress of Galladel
Head of House VonRitter of the Witch Hunter Academy

OOG:
Rachel Jump/Onca
(New Player Marshal)
13 Oct 2013 19:31 #5 by Sierra Chandler (sierrakchandler)
Replied by Sierra Chandler (sierrakchandler) on topic New Player Introduction
Wow, I love the quick feedback from everyone. Here is a question: How quickly do most people develop their primary character?

• Grimkjell Eirson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "You! Small man! Hold my furs while I kill this."
  • Thank Yous: 500
13 Oct 2013 19:54 #6 by Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings)
Replied by Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings) on topic New Player Introduction
Depends, some people NPC for a long time, some jump right in like me.

IG: Sir Grimkjell Eirson
Knight of Pendarvin
Guardian of Mercy

OOG: William Hannings
Land system Marshal
13 Oct 2013 21:09 #7 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
Replied by Caldor Eirson (Caldor) on topic New Player Introduction
As for getting there on time, you can always post in the ride thread here on the forums. I can't help for November, as we aren't making this event, but might be help at another event.

Caldor Eirson,

Gothi and High Priest of Gaia
Wedding Planner, Match Maker,
Vintner
Spiritual Advisor To Kaladonia

~~~~~~
OOG: Jason M.
Deputy Kitchen Marshal
Land System Marshal

Q: How many people does it take to teach a barbarian how to read?
A: 1 knight, 3 squires, and 1 master of the mages guild.
~~~~~~~
13 Oct 2013 21:16 #8 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
Replied by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042) on topic New Player Introduction
Also don't be too worried about getting your character "right" the first time. There are rules and mechanics that will let you correct mistakes down the road or if you find the problem areas early enough allow a complete re-write before you start your third event.

Also, Hi, I'm Joe, welcome to Knight Realms.

Gunnar Gunnarson, Medicine Man
--
OOG: Joe Hines
Former Development Officer
14 Oct 2013 02:48 #9 by Akira Saralonde (katemariexo)
Replied by Akira Saralonde (katemariexo) on topic New Player Introduction
Yay, another new NPC for me to run screaming in terror from! Lol
I'm Kate, glad you're joining the game! :)

Also, bring plenty of socks!

Akira Saralonde
Treasurer of Ostcliff
OOG: Kaitlyn Bober
14 Oct 2013 09:57 #10 by Jade Peverell (Angel M.)
Replied by Jade Peverell (Angel M.) on topic New Player Introduction
Hey Sierra!

My name is Angel and I'm one of the many New Player Marshals at Knight Realms. I glad to hear you'll be joining us in November! If you have any questions, feel free to post on here and myself or the other NP Marshals will gladly answer them, or you can PM me and I'll point you in the right direction.

As for advice:

Around this time of year it starts to get pretty cold during the night. I recommend bringing lots of layers, gloves and TONS of socks. Even if you don't use them all, it never hurts to have them. For some reason no matter what time of year is it or how dry it is, Camp Sac always has puddles. So, I also recommend bringing an extra pair of boots.

Also, I know you're NPCing but please remember to take the time to get some sleep. You're going to be running around and being pretty active. And always remember to stay hydrated. Even when you're not thirsty, drink any way.

Lastly, don't worry about looking like a fool, or being self conscious about your role play. We want you to give it your all. There are Role Play Marshals out there (myself included) looking to reward good role players with role play points, so don't hesitate to blow our minds with your role play!

I can't wait for the opportunity to role play with you! See you soon! :-)

Jade Peverell

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home."
OOG: Angel Mowery

Role Play Marshal
New Player Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt D (MattD), Sierra Chandler (sierrakchandler)
14 Oct 2013 10:50 #11 by Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf)
Replied by Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf) on topic New Player Introduction
Hi I'm Jeremy, a new player like you. I jumped into my character right away, and it has been very interesting. Most people recommend NPCing before creating a character and it's helpful, but starting a character right away allows for immersion into the world almost instantly. Can't wait to see and RP with you!

Kanas Silverfang

OOG: Jeremy Schwartz
14 Oct 2013 23:15 #12 by Birgitta Drexel (Birgitta)
Replied by Birgitta Drexel (Birgitta) on topic New Player Introduction
For anyone with cold sensitivity I recommend hot hands which can be gotten at any lowes. They are Los now making hot feet! Very good for when things get on the colder side ESP at night.

Birgitta Drexel (Primary)
Commander of Training Baronial Militia
Blood Spirits (Cmd/Sgt)
Blue Dragoon

"Amateurs Practice Until They Get It Right; Professionals Practice Until They Can’t Get It Wrong"

Callisto Boyington (Alt)
Cav.

AKA Leslie McCormack
14 Oct 2013 23:30 #13 by Sierra Chandler (sierrakchandler)
Thank you, everybody, for such a crazy warm welcome. I can say with confidence that I have no fear that people will be mean or judgmental. Clearly, this is a community of people who are supportive, creative and inclusive. I can't wait to meet you all in the flesh.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Casandra (Casandra), Jade Peverell (Angel M.), Croínamara (Jen), Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
  • Casandra
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Let me take you on a journey like no other...
  • Thank Yous: 206
15 Oct 2013 08:14 #14 by Casandra (Casandra)
Replied by Casandra (Casandra) on topic New Player Introduction
Hi Sierra,

Thanks so much for letting me talk your ear off at Comicon. It is great to see you on here already.
And See? I told you everyone was very welcoming.

Looks like you are in good hands, but if you need me for anything, feel free to send me a PM.

MB

Casandra Blackthorne
Lady of Alisandria

Merchant and Professional Absintheur
Black Orchid Merchant Company

• Annora
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • SKRAW!
  • Thank Yous: 316
15 Oct 2013 09:27 #15 by Annora (Karen)
Replied by Annora (Karen) on topic New Player Introduction
Hi Sierra, and welcome!

There's some of us who come from the city, and a whole group of players who drive out from Westchester (I myself come out of White Plains). So if you're having transportation issues, there should be plenty of people around who can help :)
Since the summer camp is no longer in session, you can arrive anytime on Friday...I would suggest, if you can, arriving earlier in the day...it's a great chance to meet people out of game and start becoming familiarized with the campsite.

[hr]
OOG: Karen Y
Card Raptor
  • Croínamara
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Sock Marshal
  • Thank Yous: 467
15 Oct 2013 12:40 #16 by Croínamara (Jen)
Replied by Croínamara (Jen) on topic New Player Introduction
Hey! I'm from the boroughs! :D
I can't offer transport, but honestly, post in the rides forum. People are super willing to meet halfway or extend themselves if you chip in for food or gas :)

Also, moar socks!

Croínamara Ull Uidhir of Clan Uidhir
Squire to Knight Captain Magnus
Chancellor of the Arts
Sergeant of the Baronial Guard

OOG:
Jen F.
Roleplay Marshal
  • Croínamara
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Sock Marshal
  • Thank Yous: 467
15 Oct 2013 12:43 #17 by Croínamara (Jen)
Replied by Croínamara (Jen) on topic New Player Introduction
Also,
I wrote my character up in the back seat of the car on the ride up to my first event and i've done ok for myself in the past year and a half :)
So don't worry about that sort of stuff, do what you feel is right for you. Everyone is different and there are so many ways to play the game.

Croínamara Ull Uidhir of Clan Uidhir
Squire to Knight Captain Magnus
Chancellor of the Arts
Sergeant of the Baronial Guard

OOG:
Jen F.
Roleplay Marshal
  • Annora
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • SKRAW!
  • Thank Yous: 316
15 Oct 2013 16:19 #18 by Annora (Karen)
Replied by Annora (Karen) on topic New Player Introduction
Jen and I might have put our characters together on the same car ride...

Also, yus. Bring more socks. I get hungry.
:D

But seriously, it does get cold, and we don't like hypothermia. Layers of clothing that you can wear under your costume is definitely the way to go. And avoid cotton whenever possible!

[hr]
OOG: Karen Y
Card Raptor
05 Nov 2013 10:26 #19 by Sierra Chandler (sierrakchandler)
Thank you everyone for the encouragement because it payed off! I went to this past event and had a blast NPCing the whole weekend. Despite getting none of the sleep the weekend at KR completely relaxed and focused me. Now I'm just itching to put together a character and costume for the December Event (sadly cannot make the Ball). I'll see you all again :P

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben Theis (Tirsen Crestingstar), Onca (Lorelai), Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
  • Onca
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 202
05 Nov 2013 12:52 #20 by Onca (Lorelai)
Replied by Onca (Lorelai) on topic Re:Re: New Player Introduction
Hey sierra, it was awesome meeting you (i helped you sign in). I'm so glad you had fun, looking forward to seeing you again!

~ Lorelai Sihnon VonRitter
Huntress of Galladel
Head of House VonRitter of the Witch Hunter Academy

OOG:
Rachel Jump/Onca
(New Player Marshal)
06 Nov 2013 10:59 #21 by Dame Clytie Silverfang (itsgonnabemay)
Replied by Dame Clytie Silverfang (itsgonnabemay) on topic Re:Re: New Player Introduction
It's wonderful to hear that you had a great time! I'm sorry I couldn't be there!

Oh yeah, I'm May, a relatively new player as well, jumped in back in August. I won't be at the December event, but take a peek around in January for a Nyad with blue and copper hair. That'll be me. Well, Clytie. Take a seat nearby and have some tea!

I may not have as much experience, but I'm fairly good at helping people develop characters and prepare for the Larp. If you do need help planning out a character and playing up your personal strengths through them, feel free to shoot me a message. Honestly feel free to shoot me a message with anything, it's always fun.

Dame Clytie Silverfang, the Pegasus
Knight of Travance
Master of the Mage's Guild

OOG- May Leonard
Kitchen Staff
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.674 seconds