Looking forward to my first event!

22 Oct 2013 17:59 #1 by Sonia Belle (ivynet)
Looking forward to my first event! was created by Sonia Belle (ivynet)
Hello everyone!

My name's Anna, and I'm (hopefully) going to be attending the next Knight Realms event in November! A friend of mine kept telling me about her adventures, and I was a bit envious of it all. So here I am!

I'm new to LARPs, but I've been a tabletop roleplayer for a while. (Both system'd and diceless!) Though, as with most things, work and grownup stuff has gotten in the way of having a real, longstanding gaming storyline that I can grow a character into.

November looms, and I've only barely started assembling costume pieces and supplies. But I'm optimistic that I'll have enough supplies to be warm, dry, and in-character-- what more can a girl ask for, really?

I'll leave it here, and I hope to meet a lot of you IRL and IC at the event!

-Anna M

OOG: Anna Murchison
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
22 Oct 2013 18:20 #2 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic Re:Looking forward to my first event!
Hey, welcome. My name is Conor and I'm a new player marshal who helps new people get into and understand Knight Realms. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me.

Also with the weather getting cold here's a list of things OOG wise I would suggest.

Layers. Under armor and/or tight thermals under your costume.
Gloves, keep those fingers warm.
EXTRA SOCKS can't stress this enough. Step in a puddle, don't have other socks, gonna have a bad time.
Cold weather sleeping bag, or normal sleeping bag with blankets. Enough to keep you warm at night for sleeping.

If anyone else wants to add to this list feel free.

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
  • Onca
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 202
22 Oct 2013 18:21 #3 by Onca (Lorelai)
Replied by Onca (Lorelai) on topic Re:Re: Looking forward to my first event!
Anna-
Welcome! So glad to hear you're joining us, and preparing!

I'm Rachel, one of the new player marshals. If you have any questions or need any information, feel free to send me or any other new player marshal a quick pm.

November often gets cold fast, especially at night. You may want to discuss sleeping arrangements with your friend or talk to people at the camp when you arrive. We want everyone safe and warm!

couple tips: make sure to bring npc gear (all black warm clothing) and a lot of socks. We are trying to fix potholes but it is an ongoing process. If you have cold weather layers, i strongly suggest bringing those. Lastly, feel free to ask for me or any new player marshal at sign in to get your card written up officially.

See you soon!
-Rachel

~ Lorelai Sihnon VonRitter
Huntress of Galladel
Head of House VonRitter of the Witch Hunter Academy

OOG:
Rachel Jump/Onca
(New Player Marshal)
22 Oct 2013 19:36 #4 by Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf)
Replied by Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf) on topic Re:Re: Looking forward to my first event!
Hi!!!! I'm Jeremy. I'm one of the newbies like you. The game is great, and though you may be new there are many opportunities to have an effect in the vastness of KR. You will have fun, and don't forget to bring socks and warm layers. By the way, NPC shift is pretty fun, so remember to bring NPC gear (warm black clothes). Have a great time!!

Kanas Silverfang

OOG: Jeremy Schwartz
  • Croínamara
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Sock Marshal
  • Thank Yous: 467
23 Oct 2013 01:40 - 23 Oct 2013 01:41 #5 by Croínamara (Jen)
Replied by Croínamara (Jen) on topic Looking forward to my first event!
SOCKS.

Get yourself a good sturdy pair of boots. Costuming can wait. You want your feet dry. Always.

Also, SOCKS.

In terms of warm clothes: cloaks, ponchos, anything that covers down to your butt will keep you warm. It never hurts to have a hat, we lose a ton of body heat through our luscious coifs. Gloves, because it hurts to get hit on the knuckles in warm weather, let alone in the cold. Layers, under armor, even leggings from forever 21 are GREAT to have under pants.

Also, DID I MENTION SOCKS.

If you're iffy about sharing cups/bottles, especially in the coming flu season, get yourself a bottle or canteen. They sell fairly ingame ones at either target or walmart. On the topic of food, there's usually a lot available to purchase with in game money, but i strongly suggest bringing a few granola bars with you. 3am hunger cravings are awful. I've made so many friends with quaker chewy bars and blue berry nutrigrain bars.
Keep yourself hydrated in game! If you haven't pee'd in hours and hours, you're dehydrated. Go knock back a few at the bar. It's also a good way to meet people. Join the hundred mug club!

Just in case no one mentioned it, BRING EXTRA SOCKS.

That's mah list.
:) see you soon.

Croínamara Ull Uidhir of Clan Uidhir
Squire to Knight Captain Magnus
Chancellor of the Arts
Sergeant of the Baronial Guard

OOG:
Jen F.
Roleplay Marshal
Last edit: 23 Oct 2013 01:41 by Croínamara (Jen).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Goggs (coryan)
23 Oct 2013 02:28 #6 by Akira Saralonde (katemariexo)
Replied by Akira Saralonde (katemariexo) on topic Looking forward to my first event!
Hi! I'm Kate. I'm a newbie still like you and Jeremy. Regarding the costuming, I wouldn't sweat a completely insanely good costume at first. Im on my fourth even and I still wear a bunch of stuff from my attic and target. The main goal is to keep warm at knight.

Im gonna go out on a limb and say a pair or two of socks, and something no-one really tells anyone, but definitely bring a mini flashlight. Something palm-sized will do. Because when it gets dark at Camp Sac, it gets REALLY fricken dark!
Definitely some small packaged snacks. I usually bring ramen, instant oatmeal or grits, and tea.
(Also there's a quick chek two miles from the camp as well)
If you can swing it, grab some Dr. Scholls shoe inserts! You'll be doing a lot of trudging up and down paths and hills and running for you life. Your feet will thank you for that.
OH, it's going to be really cold this month so LAYERS!

Welcome to Knight Realms, I look forward to role-playing with you!
Ps. If you're dying for some good food after the game, a bunch of people from camp always go to the Jefferson Diner on Sunday. :)

Akira Saralonde
Treasurer of Ostcliff
OOG: Kaitlyn Bober
  • Croínamara
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Sock Marshal
23 Oct 2013 02:47 - 23 Oct 2013 02:54 #7 by Croínamara (Jen)
In the words of lemon grab, two pairs of socks is UNACCEPTABBBLEEEEE!!!!!!!
Trust me, if you step in a puddle and have wet boots all weekend, you're going to want to change your socks every few hours just for basic comfort, not to mention avoiding trench foot.
Also, extra pants. Because soggy ankles are awful.

Also, in terms of flashlights, OOG they are fine and useful for card checks and searching your room at night when everyones asleep, but anything ingame needs an item such as a lantern or a spell, and it is preferred if you have a colored light stick thingy as white light tends to blind and kill night vision.

^not sure if that is considered a "rule" or not, so I'm just going to tack on that I am not a rules marshal.

Chancellor of the Arts

OOG:
Jen F.
Roleplay Marshal
Last edit: 23 Oct 2013 02:54 by Croínamara (Jen).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Onca (Lorelai)
23 Oct 2013 02:58 #8 by Akira Saralonde (katemariexo)
Replied by Akira Saralonde (katemariexo) on topic Looking forward to my first event!
Lol I was making a poorly executed joke about two pairs of socks because everyone else said to bring like, 800 pairs X)

That's good to know because I thought the lantern card was for an actual lantern or big flashlight, not the small hand ones.
I can't travel anywhere at night without a flashlight showing where all the rocks and bumps are. I have such a bad knee >.<

Akira Saralonde
Treasurer of Ostcliff
The following user(s) said Thank You: Croínamara (Jen)
23 Oct 2013 06:30 #9 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
Replied by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042) on topic Looking forward to my first event!
and you have joined at an exciting time because as of the November event all new characters will start with 50 build instead of 10. More details to come from James soon, but plan ahead for having 50 build to spend.

Welcome to Knight Realms!

Gunnar Gunnarson, Medicine Man
--
OOG: Joe Hines
Former Development Officer
The following user(s) said Thank You: Onca (Lorelai), Akira Saralonde (katemariexo)
23 Oct 2013 07:47 #10 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
Replied by Caldor Eirson (Caldor) on topic Re:Re: Looking forward to my first event!
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned socks.

Seriously though, welcome aboard. I'm sad I won't be there in November, but hopefully, I will see you in the future.

Caldor Eirson,

Gothi and High Priest of Gaia
Wedding Planner, Match Maker,
Vintner
Spiritual Advisor To Kaladonia

~~~~~~
OOG: Jason M.
Deputy Kitchen Marshal
Land System Marshal

Q: How many people does it take to teach a barbarian how to read?
A: 1 knight, 3 squires, and 1 master of the mages guild.
~~~~~~~
23 Oct 2013 08:07 #11 by Sonia Belle (ivynet)
Replied by Sonia Belle (ivynet) on topic Looking forward to my first event!
Thanks for all the tips everyone! Luckily I love socks, so I may just buy new pairs just for the fun of it. I read actual candles are bad (woo open flames!) - what about those "fake" candles for indoor lighting?

Do the cabins have electricity? I was thinking of stashing a hot water kettle for tea and cocoa, but if there's no plugs then that'd be a bad plan. :)

OOG: Anna Murchison
  • Onca
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 202
23 Oct 2013 09:14 #12 by Onca (Lorelai)
Replied by Onca (Lorelai) on topic Re:Re: Looking forward to my first event!
Fake candles are encouraged and allowed, though depending on where you stay may not be necessary or might not make it back to you. Label the bottoms!

Many cabins have electricity, but not much space for oog things, and it could be a safety hazard. There is hot water in the kitchen and you can heat things there or in the monastery building.

See you soon!

~ Lorelai Sihnon VonRitter
Huntress of Galladel
Head of House VonRitter of the Witch Hunter Academy

OOG:
Rachel Jump/Onca
(New Player Marshal)
  • Croínamara
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Sock Marshal
23 Oct 2013 11:33 #13 by Croínamara (Jen)
Kaitlyn,
OOF I AM THE DUMBS.

Chancellor of the Arts

OOG:
Jen F.
Roleplay Marshal
23 Oct 2013 15:20 #14 by Akira Saralonde (katemariexo)
Croi-I checked, I think it is most definitely a rule about the lantern cards. I'll have to pick one up this month from someone! Lol :)

Anna-for hot beverages, come to me, I'll hook you up! I always have a bunch of tea and stuff on me and as Onca said, the coffee urns have a hot water spout. You can always just go to the bar if someone is tending and ask for hot water which is what I usually do.

Akira Saralonde
Treasurer of Ostcliff
28 Oct 2013 14:42 #15 by Thalia Burdorn (abbyl)
Replied by Thalia Burdorn (abbyl) on topic Looking forward to my first event!
A little bit late to the topic, but we can't wait to meet you! Going to be missing the next two events because of the holidays, but with any luck the one day festival we can meet! Look for the female dwarf behind the bar!

Thalia Stonebar Burdorn
Consul of Kaladonia
Warden of the Phocus
Ambassador to Calasvorin
Manager, Dragon's Claw Inn;

OOG: Abby Leib
28 Oct 2013 20:02 #16 by Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
Replied by Sean Moulson (Moulson13) on topic Looking forward to my first event!
Slow boat to the topic however my name is Sean and I am also one of the new player marshals. If you have any questions please let me know.

PS: don't forget SOCKS! Good SOCKS!

Anhil Shadesar, Knight of Kaladonia

Storyteller
The following user(s) said Thank You: Croínamara (Jen)
29 Oct 2013 01:39 #17 by Typhon Cedricson Scyldinga (Null507)
Replied by Typhon Cedricson Scyldinga (Null507) on topic Looking forward to my first event!
I'm still slower than Sean. My name is David, I'm also a New Player Marshal. You'll see me around. If you ever need me look for the guy with the White Wolf Head Shield.

Typhon Cedricson Scyldinga
Hero of Auralion
Warrior of the White Wolf

- Druid

David Reyes
29 Oct 2013 14:23 #18 by Avalyn Ode (krazyaznxinluv)
Replied by Avalyn Ode (krazyaznxinluv) on topic Looking forward to my first event!
Hey Anna! Nice to meet you, I'm Jamie :)

I hope you have a great first event, I think you'll do fine. Just make sure you got extra wear (as Jason pointed out [aka IG: Caldor]), blankets, towels, a comfy pillow and hopefully a decent sized bed cover for a small cot. I hope you have a great time, and just remember to have fun. ((you must get this a lot)) Also, don't freak out about remembering every single skill in the Handbook-- just always ask questions and I mean, it's my sixth event and I'm still asking questions all the time. So yeah, don't be afraid-- we won't bite... much. :D

"Ode? I don't owed you anything! RIGHT? HAHA." - Blade

"Miss Ode, you're one for mind shooting and what not. Would you by chance be interested in a Magic Trick contest?" - Goggins
----
OOG: Jamie J
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.631 seconds