Prospective new player, here. Couple questions.

11 Dec 2013 03:28 - 11 Dec 2013 03:36 #1 by Illyrin Soral (Gaeth)
Prospective new player, here. Couple questions. was created by Illyrin Soral (Gaeth)
Hi! My name is Galen, and I've been considering joining this game, but have one primary hurdle: specifically, I live in Maryland, and the logistics of making it up to Jersey regularly are rather daunting. A friend of mine who plays has told me that there's other Marylanders who play, so would carpooling be possible at all?

The other questions I had were more of in-game questions with regards to a character concept. How do the Quinarian and the Londwyn get along? As long as they aren't actually hostile to each other, I think my character concept could work.

And how well does mixing martial skill and magecraft work out? You know, blade in one hand, fireball in the other. Is it feasible, or is it a god-awful idea like in D&D?

-Galen F.

Brother Illyrin Soral
Seeker of the Veiled Truths
---

Archibald Blackmoore,
Monster Hunter Extraordinaire

OOG: Galen F, "The Frozen"
Last edit: 11 Dec 2013 03:36 by Illyrin Soral (Gaeth). Reason: Forgot to tag with name, oops
11 Dec 2013 06:12 #2 by Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf)
Replied by Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf) on topic Prospective new player, here. Couple questions.
Hi, I'm Jeremy and I'm not a new player marshal. People do come to KR from Maryland, and you would need to talk to them about carpooling. About the fireball sword question, that is possible, but not exactly profitable. A spell, prayer, or druidic only lasts in a hand for about 5 seconds unless you get archcaster and the skill associated with spell holding. I do want to see sword and spell combat styles, I doubt it would be to successful. But I can't wait to see you at KR!

Kanas Silverfang

OOG: Jeremy Schwartz
The following user(s) said Thank You: Illyrin Soral (Gaeth)
11 Dec 2013 07:09 #3 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
Replied by Caldor Eirson (Caldor) on topic Re:Re: Prospective new player, here. Couple questions.
I'm Jason. I'm also not a new player marshal, but I thought I'd chip in my two cents.

There is a whole thread on these forums dedicated to car pooling. I'm sure people would try and work with you if they can. Also, if you are open to traveling part way on your own or by public transportation, it opens more options.

As for sword and spell, I think there are lots of people who do it. It is tricky at low level, and you don't really "hold" the spells, but it is doable. If you don't mind druidics or divine magic, there are jobs that start with sword and spell too. If you present your concept to one of the new player marshals, I am sure they will help you out.

Caldor Eirson,

Gothi and High Priest of Gaia
Wedding Planner, Match Maker,
Vintner
Spiritual Advisor To Kaladonia

~~~~~~
OOG: Jason M.
Deputy Kitchen Marshal
Land System Marshal

Q: How many people does it take to teach a barbarian how to read?
A: 1 knight, 3 squires, and 1 master of the mages guild.
~~~~~~~
  • Grimkjell Eirson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "You! Small man! Hold my furs while I kill this."
  • Thank Yous: 500
11 Dec 2013 09:00 #4 by Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings)
Replied by Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings) on topic Re:Re: Prospective new player, here. Couple questions.
THAT FRIEND WOULD BE ME :)

Sword and spell I think initially would work best if you were using spells for your ranged attacks (Spell packets), or self buffs and defnses. Just remember body points and various magic point sources both cost one build (though they have different ratios)

ONce you can get arch caster there are a few more options like weapon casting and stuff but that's beyond newbieland for sure.

My biggest advice is SOCKS, warm gear in the winter, something comfortable to LARP and sleep in, and an open mind to listen to newbie marshals.

IG: Sir Grimkjell Eirson
Knight of Pendarvin
Guardian of Mercy

OOG: William Hannings
Land system Marshal
11 Dec 2013 09:37 #5 by Meander Correlis (SarahBrand)
Replied by Meander Correlis (SarahBrand) on topic Re: Prospective new player, here. Couple questions.
Hi Galen! I'm Sarah, pleasure to meet you! I grew up in Maryland, in the Baltimore suburbs; I'll actually be heading to MD for a family Christmas party in a week and a half. :)

So, I'm a Londwyn! ;) And the answer to your question about Quinarians and Londwyns is: It's Complicated. Londwyns have traditionally held...disdain for the elves (Sylvan elves more so, but I believe this also applies to Quinarians), while the elves...dislike the attitude of the Londwyns, don't like the way Londwyn has a tendency to view everything as a resource and those less educated or technologically advanced as "quaint", and generally don't understand them. Then again, many races don't understand Londwyns. *grins*

However, neither of the races have a skill that represents their hatred for the other. Some people play this aspect of the roleplay up, while other characters (like my Londwyn, Meander), hold individual people in high regard and don't hold as many of the racist attitudes of their brethren. Feel free to PM me or find me on FB (I'm friends with Bill) if you want to discuss this any further. ^^

And my apologies to any Quinarians if I said anything amiss!

~Meander Correlis, Master Alchemist
Baronial Ambassador to Londwyn
Champion of Homunculi City

(OOG: Sarah Brand)
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
11 Dec 2013 21:01 #6 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Prospective new player, here. Couple questions.
Hi and welcome Galen.

First off, if you have a character concept you wanna play and try out... talk it over with a New Player Marshal. They can help you with Rules, understanding what you can and cannot do, as well as help you with a game plan on how to make that character.

Second, there is a section of the forums that deals strictly with carpooling, sharing rides, etc... we do have some players out in Maryland. We have players from all over the US (and even overseas). Post there where and when you can meet and hopefully something will work out.

Third, my personal piece of advice is to read the New Players! section of the website a few times (like 6 times... seriously). Then use the Search function of the website to check out all the questions you may have as well as some of the prior responses, thought processes, and reasons why the game makes i't world and rules they way they do. It helps a lot.

Again, welcome aboard and I hope you join us soon for fun times, great memories, and fantastic experiences.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • Onca
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 202
11 Dec 2013 23:34 #7 by Onca (Lorelai)
Replied by Onca (Lorelai) on topic Re:Re: Prospective new player, here. Couple questions.
You've already had a warm welcome, but i figured i would chip in as a new player marshal who is often online. Feel free to pm me.

I know of two Baltimore area kr players (and some from Virginia and Delaware). so carpools are plausible.

I'd be happy (nay, thrilled) to discuss your character concept further, and rules. Looking forward to meeting you!
-Onca

~ Lorelai Sihnon VonRitter
Huntress of Galladel
Head of House VonRitter of the Witch Hunter Academy

OOG:
Rachel Jump/Onca
(New Player Marshal)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.487 seconds