New Player, lots of Backstory and Lore Questions

10 May 2014 15:32 #1 by Stenard Smith (Alan)
New Player, lots of Backstory and Lore Questions was created by Stenard Smith (Alan)
Hi there!
I'm totally new, and would love some help with my bio so that I have an understanding of my character prior to showing up first day.

I'm planning on coming May 16th as a Kormyrian Dragoon/Smith.
I've read through the Rulebook, Logistics, Policies, History, and several Prologues and Epilogues.
Currently I'm prepared with a costume, provisions, and I'm hoping to have a LARP spear ready by the event... Is there a suggested retailer that makes a good spear for the size requirements?

In starting my bio, I came across a few writing blocks:
I have interest in the Dragoon's backstory, and the "Valley of the Dragon" which is not a place described anywhere except being referred to in
a "History of the New World". There also seems to be very little about Dragoon society, perhaps because they are listed as a class instead of a race, or perhaps because they live in a mythic location. Either way, please educate me on their culture so I may start my biography.

Second, I am interested in having a history of trade with Coasthaven as part of my backstory, and as such want to know some basic facts about one or two of their cities. Whichever ones would be most ideal for a smith to peddle wares. Please also be good enough to tell me Dragoons are, or are not, capable of being traders. I notice that while in the Rulesbook, some Dragoons (such as yellow and red dragoons) are supposedly impulsive or passionate: fairly social traits, while in the History of the New World, Dragoons seem to be a silent people only speaking when necessary, so I would like to know which one is accurate, and if business qualifies as a "necessary" reason to speak.

I'm also not entirely clear upon what the current year is. While the History of the Old World is pennned as July 25th, 1206, and doesn't actually include the dates events of the world happened, everything on the site is dated by the OOG date, 2014. I would love to know how long ago the Rift was opened, and Uelrog's war happened, so I know whether this is something my character lived through, or if it happened generations ago. This is especially important regarding the leaving of the Dragons, and appearance of Dragoons in other cultures, so I know what kind of life I had.

While I could wait for the event to have these cleared up, I would much, MUCH prefer to come to game with a well thought out character with proper goals, ambitions, and a fitting personality, rather than throwing something together on the spot.

Many thanks!
Really loving the stories I hear from friends about this game, and I look forward to seeing you all there.

- Alan Reiss
The following user(s) said Thank You: Croínamara (Jen)
10 May 2014 18:53 #2 by Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
Replied by Sean Moulson (Moulson13) on topic New Player, lots of Backstory and Lore Questions
Hi Alan,
My name is Sean and I am a new player marshal. Let me try and answer some of the questions you got as best I can.
Right now we are currently working on getting a history of the lands and races out. So at this point there is no/very little information on the Dragoon's or the cities in Coasthaven right now. Again we are currently writing and working on it. Now some of the Dragoons could give you more information on Dragoons that might help you more then whats on the website and I'm sure that one or more of them will message you.
As for the date Travance time is about 800 years behind real time. So the current year is 1214. :)
I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Anhil Shadesar, Knight of Kaladonia

Storyteller
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stenard Smith (Alan)
  • Aleister
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 1504
10 May 2014 19:03 #3 by Aleister (Aleister)
Replied by Aleister (Aleister) on topic New Player, lots of Backstory and Lore Questions
Alan,

I can answer a lot of your questions in regards to old world history and the Dragons/Dragoons.
Contact me on Facebook and I will answer your questions!

Lord Admiral Aleister Demirosz, the Phoenix

-Steve Oros
Assistant Director
  • Croínamara
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Sock Marshal
  • Thank Yous: 467
10 May 2014 20:58 #4 by Croínamara (Jen)
Replied by Croínamara (Jen) on topic New Player, lots of Backstory and Lore Questions
WELCOME TO THE GAME, DUDE! :D

Croínamara Ull Uidhir of Clan Uidhir
Squire to Knight Captain Magnus
Chancellor of the Arts
Sergeant of the Baronial Guard

OOG:
Jen F.
Roleplay Marshal
  • Annora
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • SKRAW!
  • Thank Yous: 316
10 May 2014 21:21 #5 by Annora (Karen)
Replied by Annora (Karen) on topic New Player, lots of Backstory and Lore Questions
MUAHAHA.
Alan is part of Purchase crew.
We're in yer larp, playin yer games.

[hr]
OOG: Karen Y
Card Raptor
10 May 2014 23:15 - 10 May 2014 23:17 #6 by Stenard Smith (Alan)
Replied by Stenard Smith (Alan) on topic New Player, lots of Backstory and Lore Questions
Excellent. Many thanks on that Date confirmation, and I'll definitely hit Steve Oros up on Facebook.

And wow, wasn't expecting a welcome from the Purchase crew.
Glad to be here. :-)

- Alan Reiss
Last edit: 10 May 2014 23:17 by Stenard Smith (Alan).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Croínamara (Jen)
  • Sindarion
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • "I hope you all enjoy iambic heptameter."
  • Thank Yous: 318
12 May 2014 09:41 #7 by Sindarion (Steven SA)
Replied by Sindarion (Steven SA) on topic New Player, lots of Backstory and Lore Questions
ONE OF US.

~ Knight Morgan "Sindarion" Sinclair
[strike]Vagabond[/strike] Harper

OOG:
Steven Sebastian Amore
The following user(s) said Thank You: Croínamara (Jen), Dame Clytie Silverfang (itsgonnabemay)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.535 seconds