Possible future newbie here!

• Cirydae
  • Thank Yous: 0
21 May 2014 15:20 #1 by Cirydae (Cirydae)
Possible future newbie here! was created by Cirydae (Cirydae)
Hello hello! I'm Grace, and I'm looking at (eventually) attending a LARP here in the future, assuming I get the time off of work/school. I've been obsessing over the rules and pictures and everything on this site for a few weeks now so I figured I should say hi. ^.^ I'm currently looking at making a costume, finishing off my character idea, and attending sometime this summer. I'm super pumped.
I have a few question, though! First, I'm planning on starting as a gypsy because of several reasons, but would greatly prefer not to use the term gypsy. It's generally accepted to be a racial slur and I would just...prefer not to identify my character with it? I love the description of what they do/what they are and I'd love to be one, but I just don't want to use that term. Any ideas? I know I'm acting super cautious about this, but I'd just prefer not to use it. >.<
Also, how do I volunteer for kitchen/feast work? I love cooking and would like to be useful, even if all I do is scrub pots and peel potatoes. I'd feel bad letting other people do all the work in the kitchen. Do I just...show up at the kitchen, or do I have to sort it out before hand?
I'm also still designing a costume so some feedback on that might be helpful. Right now it's all in the design stage because I'm working on like five other costumes and getting ready for work and everything, but I'd like to start making it soon so I am ready.
That's all my questions for now. ^.^ It's nice to meet all of you, and I hope I can attend a game in the future!

--Grace
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
21 May 2014 16:03 #2 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic Re:Possible future newbie here!
Hey Grace. Name is Conor and I'm a New Player Marshal. My job is to say HI! Also to answer questions you have. So onto those.

Most "Gypsies" in game refer to themselves as Romani so you could always go with that term. Otherwise you can try to come up with your own. Maybe your compania call you different things.

To volunteer in the kitchen you would talk to a kitchen marshal. There are plenty and I'm sure someone will say hi that fulfills that role.

Costuming, most current Romani dress in bright colors and bells and coin belts so there are some ideas.

Hope this helped and see you at an event soon hopefully. :)

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cirydae (Cirydae)
21 May 2014 19:19 #3 by Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
Replied by Sean Moulson (Moulson13) on topic Re:Possible future newbie here!
I'm Sean and I also am a new player marshal. Conor hit the nail on the head but if you have any other questions please feel free to message myself or post it here we will do our best to answer it. Just a question for you, how did you hear about us? Just always interesting to hear how people find out about our game.

Anhil Shadesar, Knight of Kaladonia

Storyteller
  • Croínamara
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Sock Marshal
  • Thank Yous: 467
21 May 2014 20:07 #4 by Croínamara (Jen)
Replied by Croínamara (Jen) on topic Possible future newbie here!
The kitchen Marhsal is a man named Louis C. His user name on here, I believe, is "Pappy".
He's a great guy and can sort out kitchen work for you.

A looottt of players play up the gypsy name being racist. Rom, Roma, Romani are just some of the names the characters refer to themselves as in the game.
You aren't alone. :)

Also, there are a bunch of players that hand make all of their costumes, so you'll be in good company and plenty of them will probably be willing to chime in ideas.
Post around the OOG boards.

Welcome to KR, i hope we get to play with you soon, and BRING EXTRA SOCKS!!

Croínamara Ull Uidhir of Clan Uidhir
Squire to Knight Captain Magnus
Chancellor of the Arts
Sergeant of the Baronial Guard

OOG:
Jen F.
Roleplay Marshal
  • Cirydae
  • Thank Yous: 0
21 May 2014 22:32 #5 by Cirydae (Cirydae)
Replied by Cirydae (Cirydae) on topic Possible future newbie here!
Hey everybody! ^.^ Thanks for answering my questions so quickly, I didn't expect such a speedy reply.
I heard about this game through my friend Antone, he plays when he can and told me about it after learning I do SCA fencing as well as making costumes just because (making costumes is both horrible and intensely satisfying I love it). I then proceeded to lurk around this site for about a month, so yeah.
As of right now I have no more questions, although this may change in the future. ^.^ Nice to meet you all!

--Grace
  • Grimkjell Eirson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "You! Small man! Hold my furs while I kill this."
  • Thank Yous: 500
22 May 2014 00:15 #6 by Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings)
Replied by Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings) on topic Possible future newbie here!
IG rather than that particular name, given the racist connotation, a lot of the PCs refer to them as "Tinkers." Which is how my character tends to speak of them.

IG: Sir Grimkjell Eirson
Knight of Pendarvin
Guardian of Mercy

OOG: William Hannings
Land system Marshal
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
22 May 2014 23:21 #7 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic Possible future newbie here!
Hello, Grace! As of this past weekend, I've been going to Knight Realms for the last year. I think you're going to love it.

Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.460 seconds