Future players from PA!

• Cole M.
  • Thank Yous: 1
05 Jul 2014 12:55 #1 by Cole M. (zyio)
Future players from PA! was created by Cole M. (zyio)
Hello there!
I'm Cole, pleased to meet you! My friend and I live outside of Philly and have been LARPing and roleplaying for years. I'm planning out a satyr to play, and my friend is working on a high elf. We likely won't be able to attend a KR event until the fall of this year, or early next year, but we wanted to say hello and hopefully have a few questions answered.

1. Can items be magical without a game mechanic? That is, the item has no stats, abilities, etc. - like a scarf that can change color. Does nothing, just looks kinda cool.

2. What counts as history? I understand childhood and parents would fall under "history", however my friend and I would like to have our characters meet prior to our first event. Would this need to be written in their history and approved, or could still act this out without history approval?

3. While creating my satyr, I came up with various ideas for satyrs as a species and I would like to submit them for the lore of the world. Though I am not yet an official member of KR, would I still be able to send in my ideas for the lovely goat people?

4. Back in 2010 (I think), I attended a KR event and filled out a character sheet and everything. I'm curious to know if my old character still exists in the system. If so, I don't plan to use them, and the personal information I used at the time is way out of date. I would like to have the character retired (or murderer, whichever sounds better - kidding) and/or removed entirely, if possible.

5. I read that there are several tents on the camp property that can be used instead of bringing our own. Do we need special permission to take one, or is it on a "first come first served" basis? We were hoping to eventually take a tent as a permanent in-game base, rather than hop around or squish ourselves in elsewhere.

Annnnd that's it! So far anyway. We're excited to join everyone - even if it may be a while! Thank you for your time. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
05 Jul 2014 23:33 #2 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
Replied by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042) on topic Future players from PA!
Welcome to Knight Realms!

I'm Joe, one of the Staff members and I just wanted to let you know that a large number of our other staff members and new player marshals are at Dex Con this weekend. Expect to hear from a few of them in the coming days to answer all of your specific questions. I just wanted to let you know that we saw your message and extend my welcome.

Joe H.

Gunnar Gunnarson, Medicine Man
--
OOG: Joe Hines
Former Development Officer
  • Imrahil
  • I hear, and I forget; I see, and I remember; I do, and I understand.
  • Thank Yous: 216
06 Jul 2014 12:59 - 06 Jul 2014 13:04 #3 by Imrahil (Brendan Barrett)
Replied by Imrahil (Brendan Barrett) on topic Future players from PA!
Hi Cole, and welcome!

My name is Brendan, and while I hold no position in the staff, I can answer a few of your questions until those in the know can fully answer the rest.

I can't speak to whether you could do the technicolor dream scarf, but I'm sure you can get checked for approval by any of the rules marshals, or better by the atmosphere officer MaryBeth. If approved, it would be a good idea to include how you came to own it in your character history. You can find their email addresses in contact info under the main menu heading.

With your role playing experience, coming up with a detailed and cohesive history should be easy enough for you. I know a lot of people tend to favor a narrative or short story style history, but I've found an outline type timeline streamlines things nicely (and tends to get approved much more quickly!) I could pass along the one I used as an example if you'd like. So long as you both include having met and become friends in your history, I don't see why it wouldn't get approved, save for breaking with standing atmosphere. Once your character is in the card system (detailed below), you can fill out a history there, that once approved will gain you a bonus build!

You are in luck on this one; Sean Moulson (likely to be greeting you soon in his capacity as a new player marshal) is currently compiling user submitted "lore of the world" information. Satyr lore is due by the 8th of August. This link; Lore of the World , should bring you to the pertinent information on that. While you can and should add your mark to the gameworld, if what you intend to do with the race significantly differs from what stands in the existing racial description, I would highly suggest getting it approved through MaryBeth before running with it.

Your character card may or may not still be - during the recent renumbering, my character # went from in the four thousands to the four hundreds... Having attended one event 4-5 years ago leaves me erring on the side of probably not, and the character must have been played for a minimum of two events to qualify for a retirement 1/3 build refund. Do make sure to add a non-yahoo.com email to your character card at the first event you are back to be added to the online card system - One of Joe's (^) many valuable contributions to our community!

On the tents, Some things to consider are that they are usually first come, first served. They are canvas and riser type tents, so if you are averse to sleeping with insect exposure, you may wish to bring a screen tent to set up inside it. If you do begin in the colder months, you may want to consider sleeping in one of the buildings on site, or at the very least invest in a low temp sleeping bag; hypothermia does not contribute to a fun weekend. If you wish to establish a "permanent" residence, you would be well served to research the properties of the lands within Travance and try to determine which, if any, your character would wish to become a vassal to. This could be of help in establishing a residence, but is still in no way a guarantee.

I hope this helps, and look forward to meeting our new Quinarian and Satyr heroes!

Imrahil

-Lieutenant of the Baronial Guard

(Amos Oberjonois - Trapper and Spirit Speaker)

OOG - Brendan Barrett
Kitchen marshal
Last edit: 06 Jul 2014 13:04 by Imrahil (Brendan Barrett). Reason: Making link more obvious
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cole M. (zyio)
  • Cole M.
  • Thank Yous: 1
07 Jul 2014 16:36 #4 by Cole M. (zyio)
Replied by Cole M. (zyio) on topic Future players from PA!
Pleased to make your forum acquaintance, Joe and Brendan! And thank you for the info!

Brendan - "Technicolor dream scarf" is a fantastic name. I'll make sure to run my idea by someone once I have everything else more or less put together. If you could send over your timeline example, that would be great! A timeline is what I originally planned to use, and likely still will, but I would appreciate having an example nonetheless. I'll also get to organizing my handful of thoughts on satyrs to send in if allowed. I'm not doing anything radical, so no worries. (Unless you consider including actual goat behavioral studies to be "radical"…. cough.) As for the tents, I'll take the bugs and cold into consideration, as well as becoming a vassal. I've already read a bit about each estate, and though I am a little uncomfortable with sharing space with a lot of people, I'm also thinking it's like a … olde timey sleep over. With less partying(?) Which doesn't sound all too bad.
08 Jul 2014 12:39 #5 by Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
Replied by Sean Moulson (Moulson13) on topic Future players from PA!
Hi Cole,
First I want to welcome you to the group. I am one of the various new player marshals that you will meet. Let me see if I can answer most of your questions.

1. I dont know you would want to speak with a rules marshal when you get to camp.

2. You can know as many people in game as you want and they don't need to be put into your history. However if you wanted to have deep ties (characters served during the demon wars together, etc...) you could write it in as well. But yes your friends out of game can be your friends in game.

3. PLEASE send them in as Brendan said I'm trying to compile all the information to make a more detailed section of the book. So yes please send them in.

4. Joe Hines is the man to speak to about this.

5. Tents are "property of the land" however if you'd like I can secure you one in one of the areas.

Any other questions please let me know. :)

Anhil Shadesar, Knight of Kaladonia

Storyteller
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.478 seconds