Making my first character. How much body is good for a starting character?

• Maveith
  • Thank Yous: 4
23 Jul 2014 03:13 #1 by Maveith (Maveith)
I'm making my first character and i don't know how much build i should set aside for body. I'm going to be playing a melee combat oriented character. I wanted to get some opinions from seasoned players.

"Death is my brother. I do not fear him. I see him in the eyes of the men and beasts that I kill. I feel him travelling beside me to this land. He will take me to meet the ancestors when I am ready, and I am not ready."

OOG - Richard Landes
23 Jul 2014 04:00 #2 by Templar Aldric (Selrik)
Two considerations: Body vs. Armor. In melee you can be struck by straight damage which is applied to armor, or you can be struck by attacks which go straight to body. In your case you have to decide how often are you going to be armored up and don't need as much body, as opposed to how often will an attack by body damage subtract from your body total directly.

Templar Aldric
Champion Fisherman of Amanthyre
Prophet of the Holy Light
Templar of Valos

"The sacred writings are quite specific on the subject of killing, but are a bit fuzzier on the topic of kneecaps."

OOG - David McCormick.
23 Jul 2014 06:55 #3 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
Replied by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042) on topic Making my first character. How much body is good for a starting character?
From a purely mathematical point of view I recommend that all characters spend at least 15 build on body at some point early in their careers. The first 15 build you spend you get a bonus of +1 to your body ratio.

This means that for a straight up melee fighter you will likely get 60 body for those 15 build. That is an awesome return on investment. Alternatively you could spend those 15 build on 3 parries and, assuming you aren't going toe to toe with the main mod boss, stop at most 3 hits that probably average about 5 to 10 damage. With the 60 body you could stop much more low level damage.

Armor is a huge benefit to. But don't overlook just a small investment in body. Even 10 build early on can make a huge difference.

Gunnar Gunnarson, Medicine Man
--
OOG: Joe Hines
Former Development Officer
23 Jul 2014 09:03 #4 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
I went almost a year without spending anything on body. It really depends on how you play.

Caldor Eirson,

Gothi and High Priest of Gaia
Wedding Planner, Match Maker,
Vintner
Spiritual Advisor To Kaladonia

~~~~~~
OOG: Jason M.
Deputy Kitchen Marshal
Land System Marshal

Q: How many people does it take to teach a barbarian how to read?
A: 1 knight, 3 squires, and 1 master of the mages guild.
~~~~~~~
  • Not An Assassin
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • I'm not a man fighting against monsters, I'm a monster fighting against the world as it reclaims itself.
  • Thank Yous: 344
23 Jul 2014 09:53 #5 by Not An Assassin (Salem)
A Melee Fighter might want a good chunk body depending on how exactly up-close they want to get. If you plan on being support and tanking, dock some into build into body. If you're confidant in your actual physical combat skills, try to save some build for skills and other things that suit your fancy. However, when it comes to the out of game (OOG) technicalities, I have to agree with Joe Hines. You get a boost to your ratio after your first 15 build into body? Sounds like a good deal for someone looking for a fight, especially a new player.
But that's just my two cents. I play a rogue...Not a fighter. But there are a lot of good fighters and great people that you'll meet at game. And I know that they'll love to help you out. They helped me.

Salem Noire, Lieutenant Commander of the Blood Spirits

Lieutenant Leon Drekken of House Zezima

OOG-Reece Belmont
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peonia Smut'yan Silverfang (Yaya)
  • Tim P
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 379
23 Jul 2014 09:57 #6 by Tim P (OrganicGolem)
When I was a lower level pure fighter the thing I found to be most useful with body is to have an easy to heal total. For a healer 60 is right in the middle of their heal 12 per point and 5 for everything up to 400 spells, so depending on how much you are down they'll be using the larger one on you (and some would be annoyed they used such a large heal on such a low total).

I got by with 36 health for a long time, as that allows you to not be killed by things like Bloody Roar (which is hard to defend for a long time), and most assail attacks you'd encounter outside main mod (which do direct body). Plus 36 health is a common total that the various classes can easily heal up to (via their 6, 9, and 12 ratios).

So basically, if you plan to wear a decent amount of armor, you can get by quite a bit by just putting 8 build into body. Otherwise it may just be worthwhile to get up to that first chunk of 15 build into body for better survivability.

[hr]
-Tim P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Narcis (ChrisR), Gilthu (Gilthu), Caldor Eirson (Caldor), Not An Assassin (Salem)
  • Narcis
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • "For every living person there are generations of dead. Which realm would you rather rule?"
  • Thank Yous: 450
23 Jul 2014 14:12 #7 by Narcis (ChrisR)
Definitely agree with what has been said but wanted to add:

Even if you invest some in body, you definitely want to invest in some actual tag skill defenses. If you get hit by an attack like break limb or shatter weapon, body won't protect you from those, but something like a parry will (for both) or like resilience (for the break limb) depending on what melee class you are going!

Welcome to the game :) You'll have lots of fun!

OOG:Chris R.
Storyteller / Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peonia Smut'yan Silverfang (Yaya)
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
23 Jul 2014 15:24 #8 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Body: advantage is it stays with you. It can be healed rapidly. Disadvantage: costs build & you can only spend so much without giving up other stuff. Plus getting more Body takes time.

Armor: advantage is it looks cool when worn. Can give you lotsa extra points to take damage. If the armor is really good, it gives Soak. Disadvantage: costs money to repair. Can take a while to get repaired.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • Maveith
  • Thank Yous: 4
23 Jul 2014 15:46 #9 by Maveith (Maveith)
Thanks everyone for your input. I got a lot of things to consider now. I want to be a Berserker, which doesn't really have much going in the active defenses category. I think that 15 body will be my best bet for my character.

Thanks again everyone. You opinions are invaluable.

"Death is my brother. I do not fear him. I see him in the eyes of the men and beasts that I kill. I feel him travelling beside me to this land. He will take me to meet the ancestors when I am ready, and I am not ready."

OOG - Richard Landes
  • Grimkjell Eirson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "You! Small man! Hold my furs while I kill this."
  • Thank Yous: 500
23 Jul 2014 16:02 #10 by Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings)
Replied by Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings) on topic Making my first character. How much body is good for a starting character?
As a berserker... get all the body you can. You will need it. Strength and puncture armot are important too. Pm me if you like... I play a beserker and have the marauder heroic list. Zerking is kinda my thing :)

IG: Sir Grimkjell Eirson
Knight of Pendarvin
Guardian of Mercy

OOG: William Hannings
Land system Marshal
  • Keavy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Will bite when provoked
  • Thank Yous: 231
23 Jul 2014 19:30 #11 by Keavy (Dani)
Keep in mind that you will not be making this character alone! We have New Player Marshals who are there to help you set up your character and give you any advice you may need :)

In Loyalty to Arawyn,
Keavy Lylas Kennyr'renaith
Servant and Protector of Arawyn
Druid | Totem Diviner | Herald of Nature
Danielle Sanfilippo
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
23 Jul 2014 20:03 #12 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)

Grimkjell Eirson wrote: Zerking is kinda my thing :)

And I just had an image of hundreds of tiny, inexpensive Bill clones rushing main mod... :blink:

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt D (MattD), Oren Tenderson (Tormy), Keavy (Dani), Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings)
  • Jorik
  • Thank Yous: 45
23 Jul 2014 20:14 #13 by Jorik (rjvanscoten)
I also play a beserker. I went with 10 build initially, and have added 1-2 build here or there along the way.

Jorik Wulfsbane
Man of the North
Private of the Baronial Guard
Vassal to Pendarvin
OOG: Jeremiah V.
24 Jul 2014 11:05 #14 by Templar Aldric (Selrik)
Many larps I have played in make Armor kinda pointless, as the expense and inconvenience outweighs the benefit. Add to that, in Summer, you are also risking your health to wear a large amount of Armor, I have often just tanked on Body instead. It can be healed back easily, and without sparing crafting points from a smith to do so, and you can get a decent amount of body whereas in the real world buying armor can set you back a pretty penny, not to mention the costs in game.

Having said all of that, I am more comfortable with armor in KR as the benefit is worth it usually. Armor that would save me from four or five swings in another larp, against an average mob, lasts 20 or more here. (Main mod of course reduces that ratio highly).

Another consideration is the concept of Soak in this game. It gives you extra hits essentially. A chain shirt usually gets a soak of 2, for example. That reduces by 2 points any attack that does not bypass armor. Lets say you have 80 total Armor and a Soak of 2. That armor now will protect you from up to 80 points of straight damage, AND 2 pts from every attack. For example, NPC swings for 10 Damage, you are only taking 8 damage, and only begin to take Body damage after said NPC swings 10 times. Usually this is 100 damage, but because of the Soak of 2, he has done only 80 damage.

Templar Aldric
Champion Fisherman of Amanthyre
Prophet of the Holy Light
Templar of Valos

"The sacred writings are quite specific on the subject of killing, but are a bit fuzzier on the topic of kneecaps."

OOG - David McCormick.
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.573 seconds