New player on creating weapons

01 Apr 2015 15:01 - 01 Apr 2015 15:05 #1 by Michael Toth (toth9050)
New player on creating weapons was created by Michael Toth (toth9050)
Hi, i'm fairly new to LARP and a few friends and I are planing on attending the may event, and I am planing on making the weapons. So I was wondering how many layers of pipe insulation should be used to make a good looking long sword while also keeping it safe.
--Michael T.
Last edit: 01 Apr 2015 15:05 by Michael Toth (toth9050).
01 Apr 2015 15:17 - 01 Apr 2015 15:18 #2 by Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf)
Replied by Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf) on topic New player on creating weapons
Hi Michael,

For a good boffer longsword you want at at least 5/8" thickness of foam on all striking surfaces. Here's a link for proper boffer construction on the website: www.knightrealms.com/game-play/weapons-a...-boffer-weapons.html The foam you can easily pick up from a home depot or a Lowes.

Kanas Silverfang

OOG: Jeremy Schwartz
Last edit: 01 Apr 2015 15:18 by Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rowan Uidhir (Teresa), Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
  • Croínamara
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Sock Marshal
  • Thank Yous: 467
01 Apr 2015 16:18 #3 by Croínamara (Jen)
Replied by Croínamara (Jen) on topic New player on creating weapons
*NOT A RULES MARSHAL... BUT*

Know that all weapons - boffer, latex, or otherwise - must be inspected at sign it to make sure they are combat safe!

A good way to test at home; hand the completed boffer to someone and ask them to hit you. *ALWAYS* have it tested on yourself, that way you know exactly how hard it hits. If you wouldn't want to be hit with your own sword, then no body else will either.

If your weapons don't meet the safety standard, no worries, you will probably be able to borrow latex weapons from logistics for your first event. To keep your bases covered, you can also make a post in the character forums to see if anyone would be willing to lend out an already approved sword to you :D

Also, keep in mind, you *cannot* thrust with weapons at this game no matter how squishyfoamy you make the tip.

AGAIN I AM NOT A RULES MARSHAL BUT HERE ARE SOME TIPS.

*throws confetti, flys away*

Croínamara Ull Uidhir of Clan Uidhir
Squire to Knight Captain Magnus
Chancellor of the Arts
Sergeant of the Baronial Guard

OOG:
Jen F.
Roleplay Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Caelvan (Caelvan), Sean Moulson (Moulson13), Rowan Uidhir (Teresa), Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
04 Apr 2015 12:22 #4 by Michael Toth (toth9050)
Replied by Michael Toth (toth9050) on topic New player on creating weapons
I made this basic longsword. I was wondering would this be ok aesthetically? Also any ideas to make it look better?
Attachments:
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
04 Apr 2015 19:23 #5 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic New player on creating weapons
Hi, Michael!

Welcome to Knight Realms. I'm Jeff, one of the New Player Marshals here at game. Aesthetically, I'd say your sword looks good. If you wanted to improve upon it, go ahead and find pictures of swords you like and see what you can do to make yours look more like them, whether that be changing the color of the guard or whatever else.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask them. Also, there are some things to keep in mind for May event and events beyond:

Black shirt and pants for NPC duty
White and blue headbands or ribbon (which you'll learn more about in May)
Socks. Lots and lots of socks.

Other than that, see you in May!

• Croínamara
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Sock Marshal
  • Thank Yous: 467
05 Apr 2015 20:36 #6 by Croínamara (Jen)
Replied by Croínamara (Jen) on topic New player on creating weapons
A few people to ask would be the Logistic's Marshals, as they are the people who are going to be checking your boffer for safety.

Jason M. or Matt D. are both pretty solid sources as Jason is the Logistics Officer and Matt makes boffers really frequently.

You can find Jason through the user name Daniel McKraegar
You can find Matt through the user name Matt D

Croínamara Ull Uidhir of Clan Uidhir
Squire to Knight Captain Magnus
Chancellor of the Arts
Sergeant of the Baronial Guard

OOG:
Jen F.
Roleplay Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rowan Uidhir (Teresa)
06 Apr 2015 18:44 #7 by Michael Toth (toth9050)
Replied by Michael Toth (toth9050) on topic New player on creating weapons
Thanks everyone, can't wait for the may event!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.483 seconds