Question about in game light sources for night activites (new player, want to attend may event)

15 Apr 2015 14:07 #1 by Smagus Blackwater (Smagus)
Hello everyone,

I just had a question about personal light sources in game for an assassin character.

1) First of all, what is recommended?
2) I personally was thinking about using a small light that fits inside the palm of my hand, an LED light ring, or a small battery powered lantern. For RP purposes, I would consider the handheld lighted ring/palm light as an "enchanted light item that I got from a fallen enemy." - since my character wouldn't be a magic user.

Here are 5 links for items I was looking at. Is this sort of stuff ok based on what I want to do?

www.amazon.com/Palm-Light/dp/B001M61P0A/...words=wearable+light

www.rei.com/product/861166/ultimate-surv...240|#tab-description

www.amazon.com/NekLight-994498-Hands-Saf...words=wearable+light

www.amazon.com/LRI-Photon-Freedom-Finger...s=finger+flashlights

www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-SLG-03-02-Anywhe...0Y0B41SPE6PCYTCYPD59

OOG - Anthony Smeragliuolo
  • Not An Assassin
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • I'm not a man fighting against monsters, I'm a monster fighting against the world as it reclaims itself.
  • Thank Yous: 344
15 Apr 2015 14:16 #2 by Not An Assassin (Salem)
Wait...So you want people to see you at night while you do your sneaky assassiny stuffs?

Salem Noire, Lieutenant Commander of the Blood Spirits

Lieutenant Leon Drekken of House Zezima

OOG-Reece Belmont
15 Apr 2015 14:18 #3 by Smagus Blackwater (Smagus)
no not necessarily that, but if i'm alone, I'd like to be able to see for a moment or two outside at night if i have to - I definitely don't plan on running around waving a light to draw attention to myself.

• Not An Assassin
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • I'm not a man fighting against monsters, I'm a monster fighting against the world as it reclaims itself.
  • Thank Yous: 344
15 Apr 2015 14:21 #4 by Not An Assassin (Salem)
That was the correct answer. Well done.

I don't have a reply for you because I don't know the rules about IG light sources. And even if I did, I'm not authorized to give you that answer. I however WILL tell you that that ring light thingy looks pretty dang cool. So once we get a ruling for this question, I might consider getting me one of those depending on the answer.

Good question!

Salem Noire, Lieutenant Commander of the Blood Spirits

Lieutenant Leon Drekken of House Zezima

OOG-Reece Belmont
15 Apr 2015 14:24 #5 by Smagus Blackwater (Smagus)
Sounds good - i guess we will wait on the official word.

So for a newb thats never been to knight realms, what do you guys regularly see in terms of lighting at night for PC's? I'm assuming everyone isn't running around with real lit torches ;)

• Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
15 Apr 2015 14:30 #6 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
From the Rulebook regarding Lighting...

Lighting
Rules for Light Sources at Knight Realms:

A light effect produced by an item, spell, prayer, or other ability can be represented by a battery-powered or chemical glow stick with a maximum length of 6".

Artificial candles, lanterns, or torches that produce simulated firelight are permitted for IG lighting use; an item card is required for anything larger than a candle.

Candles, lanterns, or torches that produce real firelight are permitted for IG use, but are not permitted for use inside of buildings or on porches; an item card is required for anything larger than a candle.

Light sources cannot be directed at other players in an attempt to blind them or disrupt night vision.

IG light sources must produce diffuse light. Directed light sources (e.g., a flashlight) are prohibited from IG use.

Any form of lighting that is not permitted for IG use can only be used by a player who is OOG, and must be doused immediately if an IG scene is taking place in the vicinity of that light source.

For being a "stealthy roguish type"... there used to be some helpful tips & guidelines, but I can't find that page on the website anymore.

Best thing to do in this situation is to please speak with a New Player Marshal in private to discuss all your character questions and flavors.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Cyndra Stagsblood (Taylorfischer), Smagus Blackwater (Smagus)
15 Apr 2015 14:30 #7 by Cyndra Stagsblood (Taylorfischer)
IMO i prefer darkness, usually if there is a moon you can see perfectly fine, and with a light source it makes it more difficult to see (since it blinds you to things in the distance)

Im not sure again on the IG rules (i dont carry a light) but I am sure based on the situation it may or may not be useful, but is not necessarily essential.

Cyndra Stagsblood,
Student of practical and ethical druidics
Envoy of the Hierophant
Vassal of Alisandria

OOG: Taylor Fischer
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smagus Blackwater (Smagus)
15 Apr 2015 15:08 #8 by Smagus Blackwater (Smagus)
thats good to know - I may just wind up going with the LED "I took this enchanted ring of magelight from a mark" ring for spot use here and there!

• Draven Erdboren
  • "Let my armies be the rocks and the trees, and the birds in the sky."
  • Thank Yous: 39
15 Apr 2015 15:20 #9 by Draven Erdboren (Grundill)
Alchemists can make a light source.

Vial Of Light
1 CP; Traits: Crafting, Creation, Hermetic, Potion
Upon Activation, this compound creates a radiant sphere from a vial with a duration of thirty minutes. This effect can be represented by using an artificial candle or a battery-powered or chemical glow stick with a maximum length of 6".

Draven Erdboren
Huntsman
Squire to Lord Lucius Blackthorne

OOG Chris L.
Monster Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wylla H. (Tifferzlives)
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
15 Apr 2015 15:46 #10 by Matt D (MattD)
If you did, you could only use it on an out of game level. Unless you can cast a light spell, or have an in game lantern, or have one of the new alchemy lights, it cannot be used. Even then, it still cannot be a directional light like the ones you posted. Battery operated glow sticks are your best bet. Some even have a flashlight on the end for you to use oog as well.

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
15 Apr 2015 17:11 #11 by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933)
Cyndra, Matt,

Some of us have medical conditions that make night adventures more bothersome. on a moonless night, or in heavy trees, I myself have a vestibular impairment from too many concussions (when you're short, everything is a magnet for your head- truck sideracks, helmets, .50 barrels, and so on). I know of at least one other player who is night blind. Mine is noted on my card though as a precaution.

A little hint for light sources: go for a red light. no one can complain about their night vision being destroyed because red light will not kill your natural low light acuity, no matter the candlepower.

Donald MacFhionnlaigh
OOG: Sean Farquharson "Jarhead"
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
15 Apr 2015 18:38 #12 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Under the New Players! section of the website, the following is written under Your First Event...

Flashlight or other light source. Flashlights are very handy when you first show up to a strange campsite at night, and are trying to unpack. They can be used in-game as a torch or candle, provided they have some sort of cellophane to color them. Red and yellow glow sticks also work well as in-game light sources.

As Matt pointed out...

Matt D wrote: If you did, you could only use it on an out of game level

No one is saying you can't have light, just the type of light, & when you can/cannot use it are needing to be noted.

Vassal of Alisandria
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
15 Apr 2015 18:45 - 15 Apr 2015 18:46 #13 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)

Smagus wrote: I'm assuming everyone isn't running around with real lit torches ;)

Some of us are working on that... may I present this?

Shopping link is... 4 in 1 torch

Vassal of Alisandria
Last edit: 15 Apr 2015 18:46 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn). Reason: image link fix
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.620 seconds