new player what to wear

• zednon
  • Thank Yous: 0
29 May 2015 21:34 #1 by zednon (zednon)
new player what to wear was created by zednon (zednon)
I'm a cosplayer I like prostic masks can I go all out for my first event or keep it more normal (basic renfaire)? Should I make my own buffer?
  • Amilia Tolunda
  • Artist, Writer, Gamer
  • Thank Yous: 97
29 May 2015 22:01 #2 by Amilia Tolunda (AmyTenchi)
Replied by Amilia Tolunda (AmyTenchi) on topic new player what to wear
Hey there! I'm not a new player marshal, but I'm a relative new player, so I'll see what I can answer, as many of the players and new player marshals are at the Week in the Life event this weekend. I'm sure they'll bombard you upon their return.

I would bring a few options for clothing, as it depends on what race/class you're playing. My dryad Aimee (Click here for image) was my go big go home character that stuck. She's a dryad, so she naturally requires lots of makeup to start. The two big things I learned early is make sure that everything you carry isn't heavy, and make sure that everything you carry...you can run with. This was especially true to learn when my antler fell off a couple dozen times- I've repositioned it since.

Keep in mind, as you play more, your character will likely grow, completely change clothes/armor/accessories, so never worry about starting basic and building up from there. Next time my Gyspy arrives in Travance, she'll look NOTHING like her original profile picture!

Boffers are tricky. If you want to, go right ahead! Logistics must test it before you can use it in game though, and it's a pretty strict set of tests. Needless to say...I haven't had much luck with making boffers personally.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Amilia Tolunda - Romani - Healer
Aimee "Whisper" Whisperleaf - Dryad - Druid - Bard
Maive Lusterwryn - Londwyn - Alchemist

OOG: Julie Anne B
30 May 2015 08:33 #3 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
Replied by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042) on topic new player what to wear

zednon wrote: I'm a cosplayer I like prostic masks can I go all out for my first event or keep it more normal (basic renfaire)? Should I make my own buffer?

First of all, welcome to Knight Realms. I'm Joe, one of the Officers. Most of the players and staff are at the event this weekend so come Monday or Tuesday expect to get even more greetings.

Secondly, please update your profile to include your real name in your signature so that we can get to know you. It doesn't have to be your full real name, but it is a forum policy.

Thirdly -- feel free to go as all out as you want for your first event. Depending on what race you are playing prosthetics may be required. So get with a New Player Marshal (once they introduce themselves) to work up your character concept and then you can build your costume off of that character and its particular racial requirements. Costuming is one form of communication in larp that is designed to convey not only who you are but what you are.

Fourthly, any weapon you bring will need to be inspected before use wether it is home made or bought from a professional boffer maker or an off the shelf latex sword from a reputable dealer. Safety is important, so having your weapon checked is one step of that process. Making a safe boffer is not hard if you take your time and look at the resources on this website and the various videos you can find online. Read our guidelines before you make it though as not all larps use the same guidelines. A large number of players have latex weapons and we have links to various retailers that sell them on the site as well.

Lastly... welcome to Knight Realms! Do not hesitate to ask any questions. Everyone here will be more helpful than you can imagine.

Gunnar Gunnarson, Medicine Man
--
OOG: Joe Hines
Former Development Officer
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
01 Jun 2015 02:23 #4 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic new player what to wear
Welcome to Knight Realms!

I'm Jeff, one of many New Player Marshals here. Dress however you like as long as it fits the period and your character.

You're certainly welcome to make your own boffers. It would be a less expensive option than buying an already-made, latex weapon and a quick search suggests how-to guides are easy to find. As Joe mentioned above, it would need to be inspected when you come to play with us, to make sure it's safe to use.

If you have any more questions or concerns, feel free to post them here and we'll try to answer them as soon as we can.

--Jeff

• Magnus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In fearful Day, In Raging Night...
  • Thank Yous: 483
11 Jun 2015 10:18 #5 by Magnus (hippy g0th)
Replied by Magnus (hippy g0th) on topic new player what to wear
Hi there I'm matt, also one of the new player marshals, feel free to shoot me a PM or post any questions here

Matthew Majchrzak

ST

Lord General Magnus

"Not Dead Yet!"
  • Oren Tenderson
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Be better than you were the day before.
  • Thank Yous: 172
11 Jun 2015 14:45 #6 by Oren Tenderson (Tormy)
Replied by Oren Tenderson (Tormy) on topic new player what to wear
Hello. I'm Will. Another New Player Marshal. You are going to see many New Players Marshal willing to help. We are all willing to talk, or help however we can. Ask any questions here, or in private messages, and we will all answer as soon as we can.

Captain Oren Zero Tenderson of the Royal Baronial Guard of Travance.

OOG- William Bartlett
Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Belketra Folles (pleasantexample)
  • Imrahil
  • I hear, and I forget; I see, and I remember; I do, and I understand.
  • Thank Yous: 216
11 Jun 2015 15:01 #7 by Imrahil (Brendan Barrett)
Replied by Imrahil (Brendan Barrett) on topic new player what to wear
Welcome!

As good of advice as I can give with regards to constructing your own boffer is simply to test it on yourself with a relatively hard swing. If you wouldn't tolerate being hit with it, you can probably assume the same for anyone else.
Why a relatively hard swing? Any boffer physrep of a weapon (not natural weapons like claws or fists) can be taken from you and used by another player in a variety of ways. Additionally, while we try to be conscious of our swing strength, it can sometimes in the heat of a immersive moment be a precaution that goes forgotten.

Hope that helps, and look forward to meeting you!

Imrahil

-Lieutenant of the Baronial Guard

(Amos Oberjonois - Trapper and Spirit Speaker)

OOG - Brendan Barrett
Kitchen marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Belketra Folles (pleasantexample)
13 Jun 2015 23:30 - 13 Jun 2015 23:31 #8 by Captain Cade Tanwyn (Cade Tanwyn)
Replied by Captain Cade Tanwyn (Cade Tanwyn) on topic new player what to wear
Always good to see more cosplayers here. like a lot of my cosplays I got the basic design of my costume for KR down and then have slowly added more elements and improved things. As time has gone by and as I've learned more about Cade's personality/tweaked his backstory I have evolved my costume. Don't stress about starting off more simple and embellishing your look as time goes by. I hope to see you at an event soon.

On a practical side make sure you can run, jump, roll, fall, slide, climb, duck, dive, and fight in what you wear because you will most likely do all of that while in full gear. a satchel/pouch of some sort is also highly encouraged.

Co-founder Tanwyn Trading
Captain Cade Tanwyn of The Night Harrier
Author of the Pirate Accords founded in 1217

OOG: Andy, New Player Marshal
Last edit: 13 Jun 2015 23:31 by Captain Cade Tanwyn (Cade Tanwyn).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.506 seconds