New Player

02 Jul 2015 19:07 #1 by Mileof Blecher (agladu)
New Player was created by Mileof Blecher (agladu)
Hello everyone! I will be attending my first event with a friend of mine this August (28-30.) I have absolutely no LARP experience, so I am really excited to find out what this is all about, and how it will go. I've read through the Rule book briefly, and am starting to build my character. Can't wait to meet everyone!

-Andrew

Sir Mileof Blecher
Knight Commander of the Blood Spirits
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Belketra Folles (pleasantexample)
02 Jul 2015 19:22 #2 by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933)
Replied by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933) on topic New Player
Welcome! some suggestions, one player to another:

-you will see some incredible costumes. don't worry about that. if you look back through the gallery, those amazing costumes came to be over time. Take it as it comes.

-don't try to diversify too quickly. Think of the long game. there are PC's that have been around for 15+ years.

-there is always a bigger fish in the lake, so don't be a B movie villain.

-Ask for help, die loudly, don't hesitate to call for help, and I am sure the New Player Marshals will fill you in a little more on the need for socks and such.

Donald MacFhionnlaigh
OOG: Sean Farquharson "Jarhead"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Meander Correlis (SarahBrand), Belketra Folles (pleasantexample)
  • Amilia Tolunda
  • Artist, Writer, Gamer
  • Thank Yous: 97
02 Jul 2015 20:25 #3 by Amilia Tolunda (AmyTenchi)
Replied by Amilia Tolunda (AmyTenchi) on topic New Player
Welcome! I'm a semi-new player myself, about 6 months in now. The costume thing is true...I have changed mine...every time I play my Romani. At least I'm settled on my Dryad...

Feel free to ask stuff here, and of course, do what you want to do. The point is to play how you have fun playing! And of course, make friends. And if needed...snacks are the way to friend's hearts! (as long as the snacks are not stored in your tent...Car or Inn is better.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Amilia Tolunda - Romani - Healer
Aimee "Whisper" Whisperleaf - Dryad - Druid - Bard
Maive Lusterwryn - Londwyn - Alchemist

OOG: Julie Anne B
The following user(s) said Thank You: Belketra Folles (pleasantexample)
02 Jul 2015 21:45 #4 by Belketra Folles (pleasantexample)
Replied by Belketra Folles (pleasantexample) on topic New Player
Hey! I know you! You're gonna have a blast, dude. I promise.

We'll talk more about this when we meet up tomorrow, but going ahead and making connections beforehand is a MASSIVE help. Also, remember, the slogan is "Who Will You Be," so you could get more people engaged on here by talking a little about Mileof - race, profession, religion - that'll excite people about meeting you, too!

[hr]

OOG: DJ (She/her)
  • Kadin D
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 53
02 Jul 2015 22:02 #5 by Kadin D (Katie D)
Replied by Kadin D (Katie D) on topic New Player
Hey, I'm Katie, one of the New Player Marshals. If you need any help with anything, just let us know.

-Someone mentioned socks, bring all the socks. Pack at least 2 for each day plus a couple more. Also look into sturdy boots that protect your ankle.

-Bug spray is your friend! This is in the woods and there are all sorts of critters.

-Speaking of critters, leaving food in cars, as someone mentioned earlier, isn't always the best choice. We have some sneaky ones. Best bet is storing it in the kitchen, and there are also rules for that as well. Those are posted on the announcement thread.

-Don't forget stuff to sleep on as well, such as sleeping bags and pillows.

As I said before, if there is anything you need help with, don't hesitate in asking us. That is what we are here for.

Physician

Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

OOG - Katie DeFranza

New Player Marshal, Safety Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Belketra Folles (pleasantexample)
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
03 Jul 2015 02:29 #6 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Re:New Player
Welcome to the game. Read the New Players! section of the website. Super helpful. Read up on camping hints as those will help a lot. We're not totally in the backwoods, but we try to have that atmosphere of being far from civilization.

As was said before, some folks have been playing for 15 years. I hope that shows you how much fun the game can be & how much it is worth playing in a long run.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
03 Jul 2015 04:18 - 03 Jul 2015 04:19 #7 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic New Player
Hi, Andrew!

I'm Jeff, another New Player Marshal. About two years ago, I had no LARP experience either. As well, my first game, I didn't bring a costume. My friend saved me by having a spare. I think you know what lesson to learn from that. Anyway, there is plenty of time between now and your first event. If you come up with a question in that time, come back here and ask. Looking forward to seeing you at game!

Last edit: 03 Jul 2015 04:19 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche).
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.526 seconds