Introductions and Question on Prothstetics

01 Aug 2015 01:43 #1 by Arradir Go-Dringol (DaPhysicist)
Introductions and Question on Prothstetics was created by Arradir Go-Dringol (DaPhysicist)
Hello All,

Name's Joe Glaser, one of the four to five new players coming in alongside Kelley Commeford. Last weekend's KnightRealms event was my first ever LARP experience and I must say it was an amazing one. I NPCed full-time and was thrilled at not only the commitment of the staff to engage the players constantly, but also the level of concern for the well-being of us volunteers. I am greatly looking forward to continue NPCing events as well as enter the game with my own Selendrian character very soon (depending on the weather).

I do have some questions though, so lets start simple. While I have experience building various props, I haven't done much work with latex. Does anyone have some suggestion on lore-appropriate elf ear prothstetics? Also, are there any tips for blending and attachment methods that can stand up the the crazy weather I am sure we will have in the coming autumn months? Much appreciated in advance for any help you may have!

~ Joe

The Insightful, Knight of Pendarvin
OOG: Joe Glaser | Marshal
  • Wili
  • Thank Yous: 206
01 Aug 2015 16:07 #2 by Wili ()
Replied by Wili () on topic Introductions and Question on Prothstetics

Wilindé Aläciel
AKA Wili
Blackbird Manager Extraordinaire

OOG-Kelley Commeford
  • Grimkjell Eirson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "You! Small man! Hold my furs while I kill this."
  • Thank Yous: 500
01 Aug 2015 18:24 #3 by Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings)
Replied by Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings) on topic Introductions and Question on Prothstetics
Glad to meet both of you folks! I'm Bill, I was playing Gar, the big scary Orc NPC you guys were working for most of the weekend, glad you're having fun. :)

IG: Sir Grimkjell Eirson
Knight of Pendarvin
Guardian of Mercy

OOG: William Hannings
Land system Marshal
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
02 Aug 2015 10:58 - 02 Aug 2015 11:06 #4 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic Introductions and Question on Prothstetics
Good morning, Joe!

Glad to hear your first time larping was a great one. I'm Jeff, one of the New Player Marshals here. While I don't have any experience with ear prosthetics or adhesives, I asked a good friend of mine about them and she gave me some tips.

First off, she suggested this site:
www.aradanicostumes.com/elf_ears

For the crazy weather, she said the Pros-Aide adhesive will not come off until you use the remover. Spirit Gum would also work fine.

Finally, she said not to worry too much about blending, that it was time-consuming and could end up damaging the prosthetics down the road.

Should you have any other questions, feel free to ask them here!

--Jeff

Last edit: 02 Aug 2015 11:06 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche).
  • Mirwen Silverbow
  • Shadows and darkness are not to be feared. As with any other tool, it is the will of the wielder that does evil or good.
  • Thank Yous: 85
02 Aug 2015 11:12 #5 by Mirwen Silverbow (Mirwen)
Replied by Mirwen Silverbow (Mirwen) on topic Introductions and Question on Prothstetics
Hi!
I'm Christine, another New Player Marshal. I play a Quinarian in game. I do prefer to get my ears from Aridani, and spirit gum works just fine for application-I've been known to sleep in my ears so I only have to apply them once a weekend, and they last just fine without needing to reapply them. They do blend pretty naturally in their own; the edges are pretty thin, and for an extra five or so dollars the ears come pre-painted. Ear cuffs are another option for the lower part, near the lobe, where gaps will usually be most obvious, but aren't necessary. I don't usually wear anything over my ears, and neither do most of the guys I can think of, but some of the girls like the jewelry :)
Mostly is just say store them in a dry, protected place between games (the little plastic bag they come in from Aridani is perfect) and they should last you at least a year, probably more like two.
Let me know if you have any other questions, my inbox is always open for PMs!

Lady Mirwen Silverbow of Pendarvin
Master of the Mage's Guild
Mage's Guild Scribe

[IMG

Christine B
New Player Marshal
Logistics Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
10 Aug 2015 02:02 #6 by Arradir Go-Dringol (DaPhysicist)
Replied by Arradir Go-Dringol (DaPhysicist) on topic Introductions and Question on Prothstetics
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of the great replies thus far. I have my Aridani ear prothstetics on the way and should be arriving in the next day or two. I'll update when I get them with any questions I have on that front.

Onto some different inquires I have. First, I placed my email address on my NPC card from the July event, though have yet to see an email come through regarding the character card system. Does that only occur once a PC has been created? I ask cause it seems there has been some changes to the Character History/Background system which focused on getting it pushed into the Card system.

Secondly, I am thinking of coming in as a PC for the August event, but don't think there will be enough time to have any LARP-grade weapons shipped to my apartment. Does Logistics provide simple loaners for first-time PC-ers?

Third, though some-what related to the above question, do I have to have all of my starting physical reps on me at character creation this Friday? I ask primarily because I have some cloth costuming (like pouches, shirt/pants) that may not be 100% finished by Friday. Armor-wise, I am all checked out though, so since that's the only thing that provides in-game effects, I am inclined to say the answer would be "no" ...

Fourth, I want to have one of my trade skills be Cartographer as I greatly enjoy making maps. By that respect, what are the requirements for trading phys-reps for the maps with the item cards and/or how do I get in contact with the Merchant's Guild?

Fifth and final question (for now at least XD), I am thinking of the character working as a pathfinder so-to-speak, which raises the question, who is the point of contact regarding recruiting for the Town Guard?

Anyway, let me know your thoughts!

~ Joe

The Insightful, Knight of Pendarvin
OOG: Joe Glaser | Marshal
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
10 Aug 2015 03:17 - 10 Aug 2015 03:18 #7 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic Introductions and Question on Prothstetics
Hello again, Joe!

Unfortunately, I only know the answers to a few of these, but I'll do my best.

Joe Glaser wrote: Secondly, I am thinking of coming in as a PC for the August event, but don't think there will be enough time to have any LARP-grade weapons shipped to my apartment. Does Logistics provide simple loaners for first-time PC-ers?

Indeed they do! For my first event, I borrowed a one-handed edge from Logistics--and every other part of my costuming from friends of mine, but that's another story! Ask at Logistics before lay-on (10-ish p.m. on Friday night) and they'll let you know whether or not you're allowed to borrow a weapon, since some of the weapon types are in limited quantity and will be used by NPCs (the baddies that you may be facing off against this weekend and weekends to come!).

Third, though some-what related to the above question, do I have to have all of my starting physical reps on me at character creation this Friday? I ask primarily because I have some cloth costuming (like pouches, shirt/pants) that may not be 100% finished by Friday. Armor-wise, I am all checked out though, so since that's the only thing that provides in-game effects, I am inclined to say the answer would be "no" ...

Your intuitions are correct, Joe. Pouches do not require an item card, nor do socks, shoes, or any other article of clothing. On the other hand, weapons, plates of armor, shields, etc., those you need to have someone either make for you in-game or give to you, which will be in the form of the appropriate card.

Fifth and final question (for now at least XD), I am thinking of the character working as a pathfinder so-to-speak, which raises the question, who is the point of contact regarding recruiting for the Town Guard?

That is something you will have to find out in-game, although in-game as well as out-of-game, he is a good friend of mine. ;)

If you do come up with more questions--and don't fret if you do--post them. It's what we're here for.

-Jeff

Last edit: 10 Aug 2015 03:18 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche).
  • Lois Heimdell
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • "All good stories are built on conflict," said the Raven to the Writing Desk.
  • Thank Yous: 1026
10 Aug 2015 16:22 #8 by Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Replied by Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell) on topic Introductions and Question on Prothstetics

Joe Glaser wrote: Fourth, I want to have one of my trade skills be Cartographer as I greatly enjoy making maps. By that respect, what are the requirements for trading phys-reps for the maps with the item cards and/or how do I get in contact with the Merchant's Guild?

First, check out this post: www.knightrealms.com/forum/Marketplace/2...lling-stuff-oog.html

What this basically boils down to is that you can sell the commodity card you get from your trade for IG money, with or without your map phys-rep attached. If you want to sell the maps (as part of a package, or just as decorations by themselves with no IG value), keep it under 10 gold IG, or else you have to sell them for real-world money.

Be aware that there is a heroic Scholar skill which also produces maps that have a very specific mechanical effect - make sure people are aware that your maps are commodities, and not these maps, and expect to answer "So are these the maps that let me find mithril?" about 50 million times ;-)

As for the Merchant's Guild, show up to Market Faire and ask around.

----

----
((OOG: Cassie Stanley, Marshal Deputy))
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.556 seconds