New player coming soon to a LARP near you!

07 Oct 2015 20:21 #1 by Bregolon Helbbruk (mussirio)
New player coming soon to a LARP near you! was created by Bregolon Helbbruk (mussirio)
(Or maybe KR is far for you, but the joke still works)

Hiya! My name is MJ, and I have a bunch of friends who have all been telling me that I need to go to KR, who have been there before. They have helped me come up with a rough idea for a character, and as such I now have a very large shopping list.

Even though I won't be able to attend for a while, because I need to get all of my stuff together, I figured that I could begin stalking the forums some, and then make sure that I'm definitely ready when I can go to my first event!

I am planning on playing a Dark Elf named Bregolon Helbbruk (someone tell me if there's a problem with the name I chose, it's a Sindarin and Elder Scrolls dunmer name hybrid), and I don't know if we're supposed to put more about our characters here, since I read "No backstories" or something along those lines.

If there's anything that anyone feels I should know as a soon-to-be new player to KR, I would appreciate knowing as much as possible (from even more perspectives then my friends who told me about it!).

Thank you!

-MJ Wheatley (OOG, they/them pronouns please)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Belketra Folles (pleasantexample)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
07 Oct 2015 21:20 - 08 Oct 2015 23:02 #2 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic New player coming soon to a LARP near you!
Hi, MJ!

Welcome aboard! I'm Jeff, a New Player Marshal. For me, it's about an hour away, so the joke did work.

Anyway, yes, that name would work for your character. Relevant bit from the Rulebook:

You must exercise at least a small amount of originality. Players will not be permitted to name their characters after well-known main characters of published media. As a general guideline if the name was a character of more than one published novel, or a lead role in a movie, TV series, or video game, do not try to use the name for your character at Knight Realms.

The forum is for you and other people new to the game to introduce their real life selves and be welcomed by other new players, established players, and New Player Marshals. It's to make you feel welcome and answer any questions or concerns about the game. Your backstory should be told in-game in whatever fashion you would like.

Things you should know (that will be repeated at the introductory briefing at game, but redundancy couldn't hurt):

-It's getting colder. Dress appropriately. A cloak or an period-looking coat will do wonders. Also, gloves.

-You're running around through a forest focusing on your character's life, relationships, friends, survival, etc., not necessarily the growls emanating from your stomach. Pack snacks, pause and ask yourself how long it's been since you last ate. Stay hydrated.

-Make mistakes. We all do. It's inevitable to fall on your backside, either figuratively or literally, but we'll be here for you when you do.

Things to bring:
-Black shirt/pants for NPC duty.

-A white headband, a blue headband. The purposes of those will be explained at the aforementioned briefing but basically, the white one is when you're "out of game" (OOG) -- although you can also put a fist or weapon on your head -- and the blue one is for when/if your character dies. There are other headbands that may or may not be relevant to you or your character.

-Snacks, as I mentioned before. Breakfast is served at the bar between 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday, and you will usually find several people selling food between 11 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. on Saturday in the main building during what's known as "Market Faire." There is also a Quick Chek a 5-minute drive from the Camp that is frequented by larpers of all stripes. They're used to the pointy ears by now.

If you have any questions about costuming, there's an incredibly helpful Facebook group called the "Knight Realms Costumers Forum" that can help you.

Feel free to post more if you think of any more questions, or send me a PM.

-Jeff

Last edit: 08 Oct 2015 23:02 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche). Reason: Specifying dates and times
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bregolon Helbbruk (mussirio)
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
08 Oct 2015 03:28 #3 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic New player coming soon to a LARP near you!
Hi and welcome. Also a great resource is to check under the Main Menu header & look for the New Players! section. Tons of great stuff there to read.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
08 Oct 2015 19:00 #4 by Bregolon Helbbruk (mussirio)
Replied by Bregolon Helbbruk (mussirio) on topic New player coming soon to a LARP near you!
Thank you so much for the warm welcomes, and the advice!

Also, I know it says no backstories, but am I allowed to say what I plan on for my class and religion? I've seen people saying that type of thing on different areas of the forums, but I wasn't sure if I could talk about it before I've been to any event and I don't technically have a character yet.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
08 Oct 2015 19:22 #5 by Belketra Folles (pleasantexample)
Replied by Belketra Folles (pleasantexample) on topic New player coming soon to a LARP near you!
Leave the religion to FOIG (find out in-game) - trust me. Just say your class.

(I say this as someone who knows)

[hr]

OOG: DJ (She/her)
  • Velius
  • Never walk into a fair fight when walking into an unfair fight is an option.
  • Thank Yous: 76
08 Oct 2015 19:35 #6 by Velius (Velius)
Replied by Velius (Velius) on topic New player coming soon to a LARP near you!

Bregolon Helbbruk wrote: Thank you so much for the warm welcomes, and the advice!

Also, I know it says no backstories, but am I allowed to say what I plan on for my class and religion? I've seen people saying that type of thing on different areas of the forums, but I wasn't sure if I could talk about it before I've been to any event and I don't technically have a character yet.

Welcome! Go forth, meet new and interesting people, and then kill them!

If you're looking for some assistance in preparing your character as far as how to RP a religious character or how classes work, you're welcome to ask about them here but by no means is it required. Although, if you plan on playing anything that could be considered shady or will get you killed on sight, you might want to play that closer to the vest and PM one of the New Player Marshals with your questions instead. Although there's no meta-gaming allowed, many prefer not to have those sort of things commonly known by the game at large.

"I don't always NPC. But when I do, it's for years at a time."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Bregolon Helbbruk (mussirio)
08 Oct 2015 23:13 #7 by Bregolon Helbbruk (mussirio)
Replied by Bregolon Helbbruk (mussirio) on topic New player coming soon to a LARP near you!

Velius wrote:

Bregolon Helbbruk wrote: Thank you so much for the warm welcomes, and the advice!

Welcome! Go forth, meet new and interesting people, and then kill them!

If you're looking for some assistance in preparing your character as far as how to RP a religious character or how classes work, you're welcome to ask about them here but by no means is it required. Although, if you plan on playing anything that could be considered shady or will get you killed on sight, you might want to play that closer to the vest and PM one of the New Player Marshals with your questions instead. Although there's no meta-gaming allowed, many prefer not to have those sort of things commonly known by the game at large.

Yep, I should definitely just PM someone with any questions I have, haha. Thanks for that tip!

08 Oct 2015 23:16 #8 by Bregolon Helbbruk (mussirio)

Datu Guo Chenjing (郭陳靜) wrote: Leave the religion to FOIG (find out in-game) - trust me. Just say your class.

(I say this as someone who knows)

Thanks!

So yea, my class is going to be Psionicist/Psion. I've read everything on both the old rule book and the edits on the Errata, so there's that. If I have any specific questions, or if someone has any pro-tips, then give me a shout out!

• Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
09 Oct 2015 13:42 #9 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic New player coming soon to a LARP near you!
MJ,

I made a mistake when reading the Rulebook. For Dark Elves, Psion is a prohibited profession, meaning they aren't allowed to be a Psion.

I'm sorry about that. There are penalized professions and prohibited professions and I had the two of them confused.

-Jeff

09 Oct 2015 15:02 #10 by Belketra Folles (pleasantexample)
Replied by Belketra Folles (pleasantexample) on topic New player coming soon to a LARP near you!

Ilythiiri (Dark Elf)
The nation of Darkholme is the single largest, most expansive nation in existence, its earthen and rock walls reaching out to the four corners of the world. The never-ending labyrinth of the Darkholme is littered with structural compounds comprised of mansions built in a mix of carved stone and extremely rigid vegetation, illuminated with gentle glowing mosses and stones. These breathtaking homes are inhabited by the ruling families of the glorious Ilythiiri Elves, dark of skin and light of hair. It was said that they ancient descendants of the surface elves and were banished to the underworld by the High Elves many thousands of years ago. They depend on no one save themselves, and trust no power other than their own.

Once a grand matriarchal society, a recent revolution lead by males who struck a deal with a greater demon, has changed the politics and landscape of their society. They are now ruled by the Prime’arch family who passes down its benevolent blessings, and sometimes its harsh judgment, upon the other royal families of Darkholme. With this dramatic shift in their society, their true past was ordered to be forgotten and was re-written by the new order. Out of fear of death, or worse, the vast majority of the Ilythiiri comply. Although they appear to be more open to mending the relationships with all of the races on the surface, they are still a vile and manipulative race. Even when appearing to do good, they are likely using those they come across as tools to accomplish their own goals. While some welcome this change, this new paradigm has made them more deadly than ever.

Penalized Professions
Cleric, Priest, Buccaneer - Dragoon, Wild Mage

Not according to the Errata, Jeff.

[hr]

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Bregolon Helbbruk (mussirio)
09 Oct 2015 15:12 #11 by Bregolon Helbbruk (mussirio)

Datu Guo Chenjing (郭陳靜) wrote:

Ilythiiri (Dark Elf)
The nation of Darkholme is the single largest, most expansive nation in existence, its earthen and rock walls reaching out to the four corners of the world. The never-ending labyrinth of the Darkholme is littered with structural compounds comprised of mansions built in a mix of carved stone and extremely rigid vegetation, illuminated with gentle glowing mosses and stones. These breathtaking homes are inhabited by the ruling families of the glorious Ilythiiri Elves, dark of skin and light of hair. It was said that they ancient descendants of the surface elves and were banished to the underworld by the High Elves many thousands of years ago. They depend on no one save themselves, and trust no power other than their own.

Once a grand matriarchal society, a recent revolution lead by males who struck a deal with a greater demon, has changed the politics and landscape of their society. They are now ruled by the Prime’arch family who passes down its benevolent blessings, and sometimes its harsh judgment, upon the other royal families of Darkholme. With this dramatic shift in their society, their true past was ordered to be forgotten and was re-written by the new order. Out of fear of death, or worse, the vast majority of the Ilythiiri comply. Although they appear to be more open to mending the relationships with all of the races on the surface, they are still a vile and manipulative race. Even when appearing to do good, they are likely using those they come across as tools to accomplish their own goals. While some welcome this change, this new paradigm has made them more deadly than ever.

Penalized Professions
Cleric, Priest, Buccaneer - Dragoon, Wild Mage

Not according to the Errata, Jeff.

You beat me to quoting that part, haha. I can't find anything that would potentially conflict in the Errata, but meanwhile...

Starting Professions
Acrobat, Alchemist, Archer, Assassin, Healer, Mage, Scholar, Spy, Swashbuckler, Thief, Torturer, Warrior (Note: the racial skill "Branded" will change this.)

Learned Professions
Bard, Berserker, Bounty Hunter, Brute, Buccaneer, Cavalier, Chaos Warrior, Druid, Gambler, Physician, Racketeer, Ranger, Ronin, Smith, Witch Hunter

Penalized Professions
Warrior Monk

Prohibited Professions
Cleric, Dragoon, Priest, Psionicist, Wild Mage (Note: the racial skill "Branded" will change this.)

This is the same basic part in the other part of the rulebook, but from what I've seen the Errata overpowers the old rules, correct?

09 Oct 2015 15:36 #12 by Belketra Folles (pleasantexample)
The Errata is the final word, the way I've had it explained. There is now a Londwynian Dragoon, which was prohibited in the rulebook but permitted in the Errata.

[hr]

• Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
09 Oct 2015 18:27 #13 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic New player coming soon to a LARP near you!
Hello, another friendly New Player Marshal here.

Yes, Derek is right, the Errata is a section of the forums with rules updates that have to be put in the Rulebook when the next change to the online Rulebook is released.

If it is in the Rulebook and the Errata differs from the current Rulebook, the Errata takes precedent since that edited rule will be replaced in the next update.

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Belketra Folles (pleasantexample), Bregolon Helbbruk (mussirio)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
09 Oct 2015 23:09 #14 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Now I know for next time. Thanks, all! Sorry for the mix-up. I can't wait until everything is finalized--and I know the Rules team feels the same way.

MJ, if you have any other questions, as always let us know. I promise to check the Errata if I need to.

-Jeff

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.574 seconds