New Player

25 Jan 2016 22:00 #1 by James Fogerty (tailsy125)
New Player was created by James Fogerty (tailsy125)
Hello my name is James. this will be my first time Larping and i have a bunch of questions. if someone is willing to answer them that would be highly appreciated. thank you and please reply.

James Fogerty
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
25 Jan 2016 22:10 #2 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic New Player
Hi, James!

I'm Jeff, one of the New Player Marshals here and I'd be glad to answer any questions you have.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
25 Jan 2016 23:04 #3 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic New Player
Feel free to throw up any questions you have right on this thread, and one of the New Player Marshals will gladly answer it for you!

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
25 Jan 2016 23:33 #4 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic New Player
Hey James. My name is Conor. I'm also a New Player Marshal. Like Matt and Jeff said. Feel free to post below, or you can send me a PM.

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
26 Jan 2016 08:55 #5 by James Fogerty (tailsy125)
Replied by James Fogerty (tailsy125) on topic New Player
Hello this is James. first i would like to thank you all for replying so soon. now onto the questions. right out of the gate my first questions are what should i bring camping? will there be a place to rent weapons for the weekend? also i know all PC's need to have at least 4 hours of NPC work, do i need a separate costume for that? these are just my first batch of questions and I'm sure I'll have more once i get more familiar with the rules. thanks and please reply.

James Fogerty
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
26 Jan 2016 09:53 #6 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic New Player
What you should bring:
Too many socks--and then a couple more pairs.
A sleeping bag and possibly a pillow
Your character's garb
Snacks (you might get hungry between meals; it's also a good way to make friends or gold or both)
A white headband and a blue headband
In the colder months, wearing the right layers is important and this is a handy guide (the site sells its own clothing, but shop around for better prices):
www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/layering-basics.html

While there is no place to rent weapons, the first night of the event, before the game begins, there is usually someone selling weapons in the main building. Otherwise, at Logistics, where you'll be signing in, you'll have the opportunity to borrow a weapon for the weekend. In the future, it is recommended that you bring your own weapon to the game.

For your NPC duty, yes, you do need a separate costume for that. Bring a pair of black pants, a black shirt, and bring along the aforementioned white headband.

There is unfortunately plenty of time until the next event, haha! You have plenty of time to go over the rules and we'll all be here if you need us.

-Jeff

• Velius
  • Never walk into a fair fight when walking into an unfair fight is an option.
  • Thank Yous: 76
26 Jan 2016 10:01 #7 by Velius (Velius)
Replied by Velius (Velius) on topic New Player

James Fogerty wrote: also i know all PC's need to have at least 4 hours of NPC work, do i need a separate costume for that?

My name is Drew, and I have an NPCing problem.

While you don't need a separate set of period-appropriate costuming for NPCing, you'll want a set of basic blacks to wear as a base layer. Costuming for specific roles is available at logistics when you're given your assignment. You can get a decent set from Walmart for under $20.

For pants, I prefer the flat-front black khakis for NPCing, as well as for regular garb. Their stitching and weight is decent enough that you can fight in them without them being destroyed in one shift, and if you get them a little long in the leg and tuck them into boots they give a nice, baggy, period-esque look for only around $12. Plus they have pockets, which you will need for carrying whatever treasure/items you are given by logistics to hand out when you are searched. If you have some extra cash and there is a martial arts supply shop nearby, black medium-heavy weight karate pants are amazing as costume pants, just be certain to bring a pouch to carry loot in.

For a top, a long-sleeve black tee 1-2 sizes too large works, as you will be using it as a top layer over your thermals, etc (Still winter). Alternatively a black sweatshirt works as well. Just keep them solid colors and logo-free.

Also, bring a belt. No, seriously. Bring a basic belt. Even if your character's costuming doesn't require one it will come in handy for NPCing for securing tabards, weapons, and I've even used one to strap a pauldron.

Last piece of gear that is possibly the most underrated item in a larp kit, PC or NPC, is a slider-seal plastic bag. Put your character card and item cards in it so they don't get ruined over the course of the event. While it's not a requirement, it will keep the Character Card Marshals from aging prematurely by allowing them to read everything.

Also, cardio. Lots of cardio.

One of the Marshals will answer all of your other questions. Welcome to the flock.

"I don't always NPC. But when I do, it's for years at a time."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
26 Jan 2016 22:10 #8 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic New Player
Welcome aboard. Also a great primer to read is the entire New Players! section of the website. It has a ton of good stuff for you.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.504 seconds