5 New NPCs for the April Event

06 Apr 2016 11:47 - 06 Apr 2016 11:49 #1 by KyleMcKaren (kyle1984)
5 New NPCs for the April Event was created by KyleMcKaren (kyle1984)
Greetings

We are a group of excited first timers from CT. I am sure somewhere exists the details pertaining to a first time attendee. What to pack, what to expect, and the like. I have read enough to know to bring many many socks. That being said any first hand tips, as well as directions to any FAQ, or the appropriate marshal or officer would be greatly valued.

OOG :Kyle McKaren

KyleMcKaren
Last edit: 06 Apr 2016 11:49 by KyleMcKaren (kyle1984). Reason: Typo
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
06 Apr 2016 12:40 - 06 Apr 2016 12:47 #2 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic 5 New NPCs for the April Event
Hey Kyle. Names Conor and I'm a New Player Marshal. I'm the person(of a few) who you're looking for.

The "New Player" section of the website is a great reference but if you have any questions feel free to ask.

www.knightrealms.com/main-menu/new-players.html

My few tips:
Extra change of clothes, pack the number you think is best, and then add one more.
Same goes for layers. Even though it's getting warmer, you should still have layers to put under your clothes in case the weather gets too cold.
Don't forget Black(or Dark) Clothes for NPCing since you guys are all going to be doing that.

Lastly, and most important Have Fun!!

Things to bring on top of what I mentioned above:

Sleeping bag and/or blanket
Pillow
A ziplock bag for your character card(yes NPCs still carry one since they get build and can get RP points and other things you need a card for.
Any medications or personal items you need.

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
Last edit: 06 Apr 2016 12:47 by Caelvan (Caelvan).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
06 Apr 2016 13:38 #3 by Caldor Eirson (Caldor)
Replied by Caldor Eirson (Caldor) on topic 5 New NPCs for the April Event
Socks. Lots of socks.

Caldor Eirson,

Gothi and High Priest of Gaia
Wedding Planner, Match Maker,
Vintner
Spiritual Advisor To Kaladonia

~~~~~~
OOG: Jason M.
Deputy Kitchen Marshal
Land System Marshal

Q: How many people does it take to teach a barbarian how to read?
A: 1 knight, 3 squires, and 1 master of the mages guild.
~~~~~~~
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
06 Apr 2016 14:23 #4 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic 5 New NPCs for the April Event
Welcome aboard, Kyle!

I'm Jeff, yet another New Player Marshal. Make sure you bring plenty of pens that you don't mind never, ever seeing again. It's a thing that happens here.

Also, since you and your friends will be NPCing, you will be "out of game" (OOG) a lot, so it'd be a good idea to get a white headband (ribbon, something you tie around your head, or some kind of sweatband). That's an easier way to tell people that you're OOG than putting your fist or your weapon on your head--and less tiring too!

Ask questions. If you're confused, find someone who's not in the middle of a scene, walk up with your fist on your head and ask. We were all new once and even people who have been playing for years, have questions about how the game works. Also, you will have many, many nerds saying words and phrases at you that you may not understand, while they're also throwing packets of bird seed at you or hitting you with foam weaponry. Remember the word "Clarify" for those situations. It will come in handy.

There's a Quick Chek within 5 minutes of the Camp and a Stop & Shop about 10 minutes away if you need anything.

We'll see you in nine days!

-Jeff

• Urkug
  • Thank Yous: 6
06 Apr 2016 17:58 - 06 Apr 2016 18:06 #5 by Urkug (bluellama777)
Replied by Urkug (bluellama777) on topic 5 New NPCs for the April Event
I'm one of the 5 new players coming in this group. As we are planning on starting PCs after getting a feel for the game, I have some PC-building questions. Particularly, the rulebook says:

Starting Equipment
When you start play as a new character, that character enters game with some basic equipment. Your character begins the game with the following:

Item cards for any weapons you are carrying at the time the character enters game. All weapons are made of basic materials (Wood or Steel).

Item cards for any Armor you are wearing at the time the character enters the game. All armor is made of basic materials (Leather or Steel).

Characters that can make Alchemy (Hermetic, Herbal, or Poison compounds) may start the game with as many CP in alchemical compounds as they have on their card at the time the character enters the game – these must all be Rank I or II compounds, and the character must be able to make them themselves.

A New Player will also start with a New Player Packet, which will include basic information about the game, and starting coin for their PC.

Any additional items, including basic weapons and armor, must be acquired In-Game once the character has entered play.

Seeing as Alchemists start with their crafting materials, I am wondering if Smiths do too (particularly a Basic Forge) and Smiths were left off this portion as an oversight, or if Smiths need to acquire a Forge? If so, is 25gp a lot of money in this world / is a Basic Forge a quick acquisition for a starting character? Very pertinent as to starting as a Smith or multiclassing into it when my character can afford to do Smith stuff.

Thanks for the help, hugely looking forward to next weekend!

OOG: Kyle Rice
Last edit: 06 Apr 2016 18:06 by Urkug (bluellama777). Reason: Forgot to sign with real name
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
06 Apr 2016 18:24 - 06 Apr 2016 18:28 #6 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic 5 New NPCs for the April Event
Smiths don't come in with a rank 1 forge. However, the Barony has a public one, and most, if not all, the lands have their own, so there are no lack of forges at the game.

As to the gold question, it depends.

If it's along the lines of fighting, is your character a "kill everything and take its stuff" or a "let everything live" kind of character?

There are also a bunch of PCs with businesses that may look to hire others. Also Bartending. So there is not a set "yes it's easy" or "no it's hard" to the question of gold.

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
Last edit: 06 Apr 2016 18:28 by Caelvan (Caelvan).
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
06 Apr 2016 18:24 #7 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic 5 New NPCs for the April Event
25g can be alot to start with as a new player, but obtainable with a little effort. There are public forges as well to use, the most notable is in the main part of the Inn

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
  • Urkug
  • Thank Yous: 6
06 Apr 2016 18:28 #8 by Urkug (bluellama777)
Replied by Urkug (bluellama777) on topic 5 New NPCs for the April Event
Ok awesome, public forges ftw. Thanks for the quick replies!

OOG: Kyle Rice
  • Amilia Tolunda
  • Artist, Writer, Gamer
  • Thank Yous: 97
08 Apr 2016 18:43 #9 by Amilia Tolunda (AmyTenchi)
Replied by Amilia Tolunda (AmyTenchi) on topic 5 New NPCs for the April Event
I know you're NPCing, but as far as PC's and things go, a great way to make a bit of gold at the start is to bring something delicious. Banana bread, homemade cookies, brownies, sweets, etc. Snacks for sale are always appreciated at any hour of the day or night (especially in the middle of the night.) Just play your cards right.

Things I always packed after my first game:
Chapstick
Sunblock (even if its just the facial moisturizing kind, I also burn easy)
Water bottle(s), especially if camping in a tent somewhere.
ALL THE EXTRA BLANKETS. Just as important as the socks in my book. Also acceptable, a partner that is warm under blankets.
Midnight snacks (see above advice on gold for noms)
Things to play with. I.E: Tarot cards for my Romani, a Bodhran for my Dryad, and a quill and sketchbook for my Londwyn.

If I think of anything else...I'll mention (and you may ask of course!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Amilia Tolunda - Romani - Healer
Aimee "Whisper" Whisperleaf - Dryad - Druid - Bard
Maive Lusterwryn - Londwyn - Alchemist

OOG: Julie Anne B
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.507 seconds