A few questions to prep myself for my first event

• Daggerfist
  • The power of ale compels me
  • Thank Yous: 29
22 Aug 2016 01:05 #1 by Daggerfist (prawnbait)
A few questions to prep myself for my first event was created by Daggerfist (prawnbait)
Hi everyone!

I'm really looking forward to getting involved after hearing the experience my girlfriend's brother had after his first event. I had a few questions I wanted to ask to better prepare myself for my first event.

What kind of light source should I bring? Would an LED lantern that's been dressed up to look setting appropriate be acceptable to use in game? I was planning on bringing something in case I needed to find the rest rooms after dark and thought it would be handy to have something my character could use as well.

Are there any bedding suggestions in addition to bringing a sleeping bag and pillow? I have a black sheet I'm going to use to hide any OOG items I'll be bringing.

What's the vaping/smoking policy like? Are there designated areas I could duck into if I wanted to have a quick vape? I'd hate to have my habit break someone else's immersion.

If I used the character creator on this site and wanted to make a last minute change is that possible? Not a deal breaker if I can't but hindsight made me realize I may have spread my skills around too much.

Is there anything else you folks would recommend as a first timer?

Thanks in advance! I'm looking forward to adventuring with you all!

Salvatore "Razorback" Daggerfist
Vassal of Pendarvin

OOG Greg P.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
22 Aug 2016 04:23 - 22 Aug 2016 04:25 #2 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic A few questions to prep myself for my first event
Welcome! I'm Matt, one of the new player marshals. If you ever have any questions let me know.

Light - that could work, but it can't be a super bright LED lantern, and should look period appropriate where you can. Alchemists can make a Vial of Light, which is essentially a glow stick. If you bring your own reusable phys rep, you can use that in and out of game. Look for the ones that are 6 inches long and have flashlights on the end.

Bedding really depends on the weather. If it's cold you'll want more. Some people recommend a plain twin fitted sheet to cover the camp mattress. If you smoke cigarettes it up to you to police your own butts. They cannot be thrown on the ground.

There is a specific spot for smoking at the inn, every where else you need to be discreet about it. If there's a building nearby a large group, go on the other side.

Yes, we can correct it.

And socks. Bring socks.

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
Last edit: 22 Aug 2016 04:25 by Matt D (MattD).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Mantel (sigma-j), Daggerfist (prawnbait)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
22 Aug 2016 11:23 - 22 Aug 2016 11:24 #3 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic A few questions to prep myself for my first event
Hi, Greg!

I'm Jeff, another New Player Marshal. Welcome aboard!

Are there any bedding suggestions in addition to bringing a sleeping bag and pillow? I have a black sheet I'm going to use to hide any OOG items I'll be bringing.

Know that beds are first-come, first-serve. If you're having trouble finding a bed, come to the barn and let a New Player Marshal know. We'll take a walk around with you and help you find one. If you end up in one of the many tents set up around Camp, you may want to bring bug spray.

Is there anything else you folks would recommend as a first timer?

Jump right in. Regardless of how little damage your character can do or what few skills are printed on your card, put yourself in their shoes. React how they would and roleplay to your heart's content. Your level isn't nearly as important as you think it is. If you screw up, don't worry about it. We've all been there. Take a breath and keep going. Some parts of the game, like the rules and the combat system and such, take a little while to understand. Many players who've been playing for a long time, still have the occasional rules question--sometimes even about skills on their own card. If you don't get it right off the bat, it's not a big deal.

There is something known as "larp plague." You'll be running around the woods with 200-250 nerds and sometimes kindness isn't the only thing that spreads around. Emergen-C or similar products wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Other than that, for your NPC shift, aside from bringing black clothing and arriving in those clothes, bring your game face. Set the example for how other players should roleplay when they're NPCing.

-Jeff

Last edit: 22 Aug 2016 11:24 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Belketra Folles (pleasantexample), Mantel (sigma-j), Daggerfist (prawnbait)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.553 seconds