first event NPC

19 Feb 2017 14:51 #1 by Darius Goldmane ()
first event NPC was created by Darius Goldmane ()
Hello all,

I posted a while ago about possibly going to a live event, and I just attended the Dreamation event yesterday and I am very excited about going to an actual live event. I downloaded the rulebook and it was a little overwhelming to read through, but one of the suggestions was to start off as an NPC for your first event so you can get an idea for how the game is played. This sounds like a good idea to me, but I would like to know more about what my options would be for playing an NPC, would my role be assigned to me on arrival or would I have some creative freedom with my character. Also I noticed that the March 3rd event was listed as "special game events". Would that cause any problems for a new player to jump in right then? Thanks a lot.

Ryan

Darius Goldmane
Lieutenant of the Baronial Guard
Vassal of Kaladonia

OOG - Ryan Kramer
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Velius
  • Never walk into a fair fight when walking into an unfair fight is an option.
  • Thank Yous: 76
19 Feb 2017 16:24 #2 by Velius (Velius)
Replied by Velius (Velius) on topic first event NPC
Hi Ryan, welcome! Pack socks.

NPCing is definitely a great way to get acclimated to the rules, as you'll be given a multitude of roles ranging from combat to roleplay, and get to use (and be hit by) a wide variety of skills. It's also a good way to gain build for when your character finally makes their heroic debut.

Typically you won't have a weekend-long role as a single NPC. Instead you will be given roles as they are required by the monster marshal/storyteller running the current shift or plotline. Roles can vary anywhere from a wandering merchant who needs to sell his wares to feed his family, to "You are Giant Rat #246-B, go forth and be slaughtered!". The marshal will give you a rundown of what you are playing and what their motivations are. If you have any questions about directions in which you can take the character, by all means ask them. The marshal will let you know what is and is not fitting for the role. You'll then be given instructions on where to go, how long to stay out, how many respawns/recycles you have, loot to be given out, etc. At that point you are unleashed on the unsuspecting denizens of Travance.

When out playing a role, it's important not to go too far off-book, as your NPC might be part of a larger storyline that has an overall plot. Being an orc who doesn't want to fight and enjoys macrame is all well and good, but not if the story being told is the Empire just invaded and is sacking settlements.

Overall it's a great way to learn the game rules, and also a great opportunity to meet people out-of-game in logistics and introduce yourself. Pack some black clothes, work on your cardio, and come on out and play!

...Pack socks.

"I don't always NPC. But when I do, it's for years at a time."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Darius Goldmane ()
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
19 Feb 2017 16:52 - 19 Feb 2017 18:05 #3 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic first event NPC
Hi, Ryan!

It won't be a problem. March 3rd is our annual "Alt Event." Alt is short for "alternate character" and the event is basically a one-shot DnD campaign. Since we're releasing an updated Rulebook in April, if you come to NPC, you might be beta-testing some of the new skills.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, even if you feel like the questions are silly or sound dumb. We'd rather have you ask than not know.

There's a group on Facebook called Knight Realms Role-playing Tips if you want to ask the community for some NPCing pointers before you come out to play with us.

Also, pack more socks.

-Jeff

Last edit: 19 Feb 2017 18:05 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darius Goldmane ()
  • Narcis
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • "For every living person there are generations of dead. Which realm would you rather rule?"
  • Thank Yous: 450
19 Feb 2017 17:54 - 19 Feb 2017 17:55 #4 by Narcis (ChrisR)
Replied by Narcis (ChrisR) on topic first event NPC
Hi Ryan!

I'm Christine, we met at the Dreamnation Encounter! If you full time NPC there is a good chance that you will run into Tim and I ( Tim is the one with the curly mustache) as we are people who help send out monsters and help on the logistical side of the game!

If you are someone who is excited to and able to switch roles quickly and want to get a taste of a lot of different fighting styles NPCing an event or two will be awesome to help you get a real good feel of the game and how it flows! It also allows you to take breaks that will not be interrupted by the fact that we are a 24 hour game which for some can take a lot of the anxiety off of you!

The weather in early March will probably be wild, so please, beyond packing many socks, pack layers such as thermals and sweaters in order to keep yourself warm. We have lots of garb in Logistics, so focus on wearing black clothing without labels or logos and make sure you will have enough layers to keep you warm in case it is cold!

As Jeff said the alt event is sure to be a quite fun and a bit crazy with beta testing but lots of people will be on the same page as many of us will not have seen these rules being beta tested so don't let that discourage you!

We have many good New Player Marshals who are sure to be of assistance to you when you get to camp and before! If for some reason you cannot find one, many people including myself are willing to either help you or point you in the right direction!

I'm glad you had fun at the convention and I hope to see you in the future!
-Christine

OOG:Chris R.
Storyteller / Marshal
Last edit: 19 Feb 2017 17:55 by Narcis (ChrisR).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Darius Goldmane ()
19 Feb 2017 20:16 #5 by Darius Goldmane ()
Replied by Darius Goldmane () on topic first event NPC
I definitely want to try full time NPCing for my first event just to get an idea for the kind of character I'd enjoy playing the most. For the March 3rd event is there someplace I need to sign up for specifically NPC or do I ask about that when I arrive?

Darius Goldmane
Lieutenant of the Baronial Guard
Vassal of Kaladonia

OOG - Ryan Kramer
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
20 Feb 2017 05:07 - 20 Feb 2017 05:08 #6 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic first event NPC

Ryan Kramer wrote: For the March 3rd event is there someplace I need to sign up for specifically NPC or do I ask about that when I arrive?

You'd show up and let them know that you're there to full-time NPC, which they'll appreciate. Even though you won't have a character of your own, you'll still want to get yourself into the Card System so that at the event, you'll have a way to keep track of build, Service Points, and Role-playing Points you earn. Message me here on the forums by clicking the little word bubble icon under my profile picture (and all that other stuff) and I'll be able to help.

Last edit: 20 Feb 2017 05:08 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darius Goldmane ()
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.509 seconds