New Player with a lot of questions.

• Blackfarrow
  • "My name is Death, and the end is near."
  • Thank Yous: 28
23 Mar 2017 09:36 - 23 Mar 2017 09:47 #1 by Blackfarrow (Roman64)
New Player with a lot of questions. was created by Blackfarrow (Roman64)
Hello everyone,

My name is Isaiah Roa and I've posted here before a while ago when I was first interested in checking out Knight Realms. First time I came over I NPC'd for the whole of the weekend and had an absolute blast playing monsters and causing mayhem. I think I'm ready to actually sign in and play an actual PC for the first time and I am admittedly still a little nervous as to how everything works. Thusly I bombardment of questions below and I do apologize if they seem excessive or even dumb. I just want to make sure I'm privy to all the right information.

1) For low level or just starting out characters, do you guys have dedicated quests that are scaled for us to have a good fighting chance and challenge or are the quests made as they are and we just go along and hope we aren't slain? xD

2) How does pricing with gold and silver and copper work? I've searched the forums and haven't been able to find anything explaining the currency system. Do we play with actual prop coins or just phys-reps like cards?

3) For my first event I'd most likely only be able to come in around Saturday 10 AM and leave the same day around 9-10 PM, mainly because I'm not 100% comfortable with camping overnight just yet, especially since monsters attack at night and I already have trouble sleeping as it is xD
Is that okay to do for this LARP?

4) Where can I find Tomes and such in relation to learning new skills. I was told there was something called the Baronial Library but I never got a chance to find it or see it.

5) I wish to play a Berserker for my first character and I wanted to know if Florentine Master allows me to use two 1-handed weapons without having to take two 1-handed weapon skills with Build. Like, if I'm disarmed can I not use my other weapon still in my hand, I always need to have two weapons to fight? The Berserker prerequisite doesn't say I need 1-handed edged to use Florentine Master so I was curious.

Thank you in advance for tolerating my onslaught of questions. See you all there hopefully!

Jurian Blackfarrow
Private of the Baronial Guard of Travance

OOG: Isaiah Roa
Last edit: 23 Mar 2017 09:47 by Blackfarrow (Roman64).
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
23 Mar 2017 10:52 #2 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic New Player with a lot of questions.
Sorry if some of these are short, but in on my mobile. If you need clarification just ask.

1. Yes. There week be plenty for you to do
2. Actual phys rep coins. Copper isn't used as currency anymore, but it's ten silver pieces to one gold.
3. Yes, talk to James the director at the event to get signed off.
4. Tomes ate found in various places, including players possession. Skills can be learned via a teacher at the event, no tome is required .
5. You purchase 1 handed edge or blunt, then purchase Florentine Master. This allows you to use two one handed weapons at a time, or a single weapon, or a single one handed weapon and a small weapon.

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Blackfarrow (Roman64)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
23 Mar 2017 13:41 - 23 Mar 2017 13:41 #3 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic New Player with a lot of questions.
Hi, Isaiah!

I'll expand on some of those for Matt.

1. We do! Friday night around 1:00 a.m. and Saturday from about the time you'll arrive on Camp (10:00 a.m.) until 6:00 p.m., we have quests and adventures for low-level characters. If you want to ignore your character's level and what the character card says they should be able to handle since they're "still new"--AND YOU DEFINITELY SHOULD!--at the risk of being slain, do the thing.

3. You'll just have to talk to James, preferably when you check-in, to get an early clean-up assignment. You probably already heard this, but in addition to the NPC requirements (which for you would be waived because you're only going to be PCing for 12 hours) and Cabin Clean-up (making sure all your stuff is out of whatever building you're in and doing a little tidying up), there's a Camp Clean-up requirement to help keep the place looking nice.

4. The Baronial Library is here:
www.knightrealms.com/in-game/the-baronial-library.html

There you'll find information about most everything about Travance. Our staff is working on adding more lore about regions and religions, so you'll have more reading material as the year goes on.

In-game, there is the Scholar's table, which is in the corner of the Inn and covered with books. There are tomes there from which you can learn skills, as well as characters who have personal tomes as Matt said. However, there are also other characters who can teach you skills if you have the build to buy them.

If there's any more to the "onslaught," bring it! We'll be here if you need us.

-Jeff

Last edit: 23 Mar 2017 13:41 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche).
  • Kestrel
  • Thank Yous: 129
23 Mar 2017 14:58 #4 by Kestrel (Kestrel)
Replied by Kestrel (Kestrel) on topic New Player with a lot of questions.
Hi Isaiah,

My name is Crystal, and like Matt I'm one of your New Player Marshals :) I figured I'd just add on to Matt's answers.

1. Yes! There are mods throughout the day on Saturday that generally kick off around 10am, 1pm, and 4pm, as well as a Friday late night mod at 1am. Our job is to provide content adjusted for your level (though you are always welcome and encouraged to go on any higher level mods that catch your fancy!) and help facilitate you getting involved in the IG world.

2. Actual coins like Matt said, so bringing some kind of money pouch or coin purse is helpful.

3. The things you would have to get signed off for are cabin clean up, and camp clean up. So you want to make sure you allow time in your schedule to clean up your sleeping space, and to get an assignment from James to do something to help clean up the camp in general. Once your clean ups are done, you'll have to get your character card signed off by James before turning it in to logistics.

4. There are tomes around game, but learning new skills is primarily done through role play with other PCs. As you meet more PCs in game you'll find people who have the skills that you want and can ask them to teach you. Then you role play out an actual lesson and oog record the skill you are learning and the player's number on the back of your character card. Lessons are really fun and can be one of the best ways to create connections with other characters. If you're having trouble finding a teacher for something, you can ask the other PCs you've met IG, or come to a New Player Marshal and we'll always be happy to point you in the right direction or introduce you to someone who could teach you :D

5. Since I'm not a rules marshal I won't really comment further. I'm not sure why there are no pre-reqs for it on Berserker, but on other lists the pre-reqs match what Matt said.

I hope our answers were helpful, and please feel free to ask as many questions as you like! It's the best way to learn, and we are here to help!

Ser Kestrel Laurent-Belmont
Dame Warlord of Kaladonia
First Mate of the Winged Victory
Master Hunter & Council Member for House Laurent-Belmont
Fyperia's Wisdom - Knight Champion of High Queen Fyperia Maitel

Alt: Cynon Terrwyn of Grimwyr
House Liones
Lieutenant Commander of the Kormyrian Army

OOG: Crystal R.
New Player Representative
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Blackfarrow (Roman64)
  • Blackfarrow
23 Mar 2017 20:13 #5 by Blackfarrow (Roman64)
Replied by Blackfarrow (Roman64) on topic New Player with a lot of questions.
Awesome! Thank you very much :D

I do have a few more questions though.

1) Do we have starting gold or silver or do we have to leap right in and scramble to make it?

2) In terms of navigating and finding jobs to do for gold, where exactly do I go to find work/bountys and other sorts of things?

3) I just finished my character sheet for Jurian Blackfarrow, my Berserker, and I'm trying to Submit it for the April event but I can't find the Submit button. Did I miss something or do you know how I can set it up so its submitted?

Jurian Blackfarrow

• Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
23 Mar 2017 21:31 - 23 Mar 2017 21:45 #6 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic New Player with a lot of questions.
1. Yes you get some starting gold, but there are other ways to make good in the game.

2. Funny that you mention that.... My wife, son, and I have something cooked up to introduce Players to different aspects of the game. Find me in April. I'll post details when it gets closer to the event.

3. Jeff will be able to help get you set up in the system there.

Going back to 5 again real fast. There are no prerequisites for Master Florentine. However, is kind of pointless to pick it up if you don't have 1 handed edge or 1 handed blunt. Other lists require Florentine, which only allows for a one handed weapon and a small weapon. Master Florentine allows for two one handed weapons. Berserker does not require Florentine at all.

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
Last edit: 23 Mar 2017 21:45 by Matt D (MattD).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blackfarrow (Roman64)
  • Blackfarrow
25 Mar 2017 21:42 #7 by Blackfarrow (Roman64)
So in terms of doing a clean-up shift would that be another 4 hours like NPC shift or would I be given a designated job like cleaning a specific space or collecting scattered spell packets or something else of that variety?

Also if the Director isn't present at Logistics would I need to wait for him or can someone else sign off on that part of the card?

A friend of mine who may join me for this April Event is interested in working Kitchen Staff or bartending at the Inn. Could you give me any advice for her on that front?

Jurian Blackfarrow

• Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
25 Mar 2017 23:27 - 26 Mar 2017 15:49 #8 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Your clean-up shift will take somewhere between 15 and 20 minutes. If James isn't immediately available, there's usually a secondary person who can either assign you a task or sign off on your card.

If they're interesting in working in the kitchen, they just need to speak with a Kitchen Marshal. If you have trouble finding either, ask a New Player Marshal like myself or the other Marshals who've already commented. An NPC shift is still required however.

As for bartending, that can be handled in-game by speaking with Dragon's Claw management!

Post was edited to correct information about NPC shifts and kitchen duty.

Last edit: 26 Mar 2017 15:49 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche).
  • Kestrel
  • Thank Yous: 129
03 Apr 2017 19:03 #9 by Kestrel (Kestrel)
Replied by Kestrel (Kestrel) on topic New Player with a lot of questions.
To earn gold, I also encourage you to go on the Lower Level Zone mods that run throughout the day as they almost always involve getting paid at the end in gold and sometimes small items, as well as being able to sometimes pick loot off of dead NPCs.

Performing services IG like serving at feast will also earn you gold.

Ser Kestrel Laurent-Belmont
Dame Warlord of Kaladonia
First Mate of the Winged Victory
Master Hunter & Council Member for House Laurent-Belmont
Fyperia's Wisdom - Knight Champion of High Queen Fyperia Maitel

Alt: Cynon Terrwyn of Grimwyr
House Liones
Lieutenant Commander of the Kormyrian Army

OOG: Crystal R.
New Player Representative
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
03 Apr 2017 22:47 #10 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
You can also write articles for the Chronicle and earn both gold and Service Points!

• Blackfarrow
25 Apr 2017 09:08 #11 by Blackfarrow (Roman64)
Awesome! I'm not sure exactly where low-level mods take place in the Camp though. Me and my party sort of just wandered about fighting what we could and working what we found (bodyguards for the Ashby's xD). Is there a specific place we can go to be involved in more mods?

Jurian Blackfarrow

• Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
25 Apr 2017 10:35 #12 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
We try to send hooks for mods where there are large concentrations of people, which is usually the Inn unless there's something going on elsewhere that's attracted a crowd. However, we're working on several ideas that should make it easier for you guys to get involved. Stay tuned!

Also, make sure you tell us how we did by filling out the Event Recap Form:
www.knightrealms.com/resources/event-recap-form.html

If you have ideas on how we could do things better but you'd rather PM me directly than include them in the form, that's fine too!

-Jeff

Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.540 seconds