approved character backstory?

02 May 2017 13:04 #1 by Jonas Menden (sweno)
approved character backstory? was created by Jonas Menden (sweno)
Hello helpful people-

During last event I learned that some people had their back stories approved of by the character/story marshals. This makes sense to me. The people who are in charge of building the world which we occupy need to vet things to make sure they all mesh together (at least in the broad strokes).

But it does raise the question, what is the procedure for getting something like this done? I understand that having other characters discover things about each other in an organic fashion is a good thing that leads to better role play. Is there some place we can submit our back story for a sanity check?

The rule book does give the general outline for the various racial backgrounds, but I may have a very different image in my head about what a particular area of the world is like than someone else.

OOG: Terry Guldimann
In Game: Jonas Menden
  • Cara Easton
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • I do not fear the dark. Only then can you see the stars.
  • Thank Yous: 324
02 May 2017 13:10 #2 by Cara Easton (Raeelle)
Replied by Cara Easton (Raeelle) on topic approved character backstory?
Hi terry!

Once you get added to the card system (which you probably should have at this point), you can submit your backstory via the "character chronicle" link. From there it gets approved by staff. It usually takes a few months for the approval to go through, just because they're backed up

Alt : Laurel Astraeus

OOG: Rae L
Marshal
Card Staff
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Jonas Menden (sweno)
  • Cara Easton
  • Banned
  • Banned
02 May 2017 13:12 #3 by Cara Easton (Raeelle)
Oh, and since I forgot to mention-

submitting your backstory via the chronicle gets you one build towards your character once it's approved, and you can update your chronicle to add updates and things that have happened since your original submission every year for additional build

Marshal
Card Staff
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Grumpy (Bookwyrm), Jonas Menden (sweno)
  • Ephrem
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Lux et lex, fiat iustitia.
  • Thank Yous: 364
02 May 2017 15:10 #4 by Ephrem (bamore62)
Replied by Ephrem (bamore62) on topic approved character backstory?
I have a question about the Character Chronicle.
Four months ago, right after my first event, I entered something of a rough draft back story into the Chronicle. When I click on "edit" I am not able to edit the text. After some interaction IG since that time, I really would like to edit the story, but can't. I can only submit a new entry. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong in the edit mode or missing something. I would very much like to re-write my un-submitted text - not just for the typos and grammatical errors that I thought I could change easily - but also for some salient points to my character's background.
Is there any way to clear previously typed un-submitted text?

Father Ephrem
Primus of the Church of Light in Travance
the Heart of Valos

OOG: Bryan Amore
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
02 May 2017 17:06 #5 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic approved character backstory?

Father Ephrem wrote: I have a question about the Character Chronicle.
Four months ago, right after my first event, I entered something of a rough draft back story into the Chronicle. When I click on "edit" I am not able to edit the text. After some interaction IG since that time, I really would like to edit the story, but can't. I can only submit a new entry. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong in the edit mode or missing something. I would very much like to re-write my un-submitted text - not just for the typos and grammatical errors that I thought I could change easily - but also for some salient points to my character's background.
Is there any way to clear previously typed un-submitted text?

Submit a new entry with a little note that you're amending the original story. The Card System has its quirks at times, just like the players do! It won't be an issue.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonas Menden (sweno), Ephrem (bamore62)
  • Grumpy
  • May be appeased with kittens.
  • Thank Yous: 64
03 May 2017 03:35 #6 by Grumpy (Bookwyrm)
Replied by Grumpy (Bookwyrm) on topic approved character backstory?
Are there any guidelines for what to put in a backstory? More specifically, what not to put in it, so that it is more likely to be approved? Should a first chronicle be a certain length? Should we include anything open-ended that storytellers might use to torture us?

Main: Grigori the grumpy healer, adopted member of the Tribe of Berk, adviser to Chief Darius Redmaw.
Alt: Dorian White, physician and alchemist for hire.
Alt: Ruy Sanchez de Castor y Ortiz, the best swordsman in all of Coast Haven!

OOC: Matthew Bowman
Science fiction and fantasy editor, longtime tabletop GM, newbie KR player.
  • Cara Easton
  • Banned
  • Banned
03 May 2017 07:28 #7 by Cara Easton (Raeelle)
You'll want to make sure it falls into the lore of the world. If you are making up s new country or culture or major city, it might not get approved, or if you write yourself in as nobility (though noblility backstories do exist).

Length - I haven't heard anything either way

Open ended- yes and no? If a story teller decides to run something from your backstory, they can change your backstory to fit? I've seen people who had a wimpy scholar fiancé in the backstory and the person who showed up was the quinarian equivalent of Gaston. Basically, from what ive seen, storytellers will use what they like and change parts to fit their vision.

Marshal
Card Staff
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.605 seconds