New fish here- Boatload of questions

• Bret Hook
  • Thank Yous: 3
03 May 2017 13:35 #1 by Bret Hook (darksteelhero)
New fish here- Boatload of questions was created by Bret Hook (darksteelhero)
Me and a group of friends are planning on trying KR in july-september. Half of us have played Dystopia Rising so we at least have some experience doing larps. Here are some of the questions we have:

1) Are there any backgrounds for the various locations (like coasthaven) that we can read up on?
2: One of us is considering becoming a wild mage. Just how persecuted are they and what IG laws are there around their sudden surges?
3: We have a tent that looks very modern, will this be an immersion issue?
4: How easy is it to find encounters focused on newer players?

Thank you in advance.

Bret H.
03 May 2017 19:33 #2 by Jonas Menden (sweno)
Replied by Jonas Menden (sweno) on topic New fish here- Boatload of questions
Hello Bret-

I'm relatively new (will be attending my 6th event soon), so I don't have all the answers. But I can fill in some information.
1) there are brief overviews in the racial section of the rules. There may be more detailed history/settings notes that I don't know about. If there are, I'd be happy to find out about them.
4) They run new player mods and advertise events that are appropriate for new players. You won't be lacking for things to do.

-Jonas

OOG: Terry Guldimann
In Game: Jonas Menden
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
  • Cara Easton
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • I do not fear the dark. Only then can you see the stars.
  • Thank Yous: 324
03 May 2017 20:01 #3 by Cara Easton (Raeelle)
Replied by Cara Easton (Raeelle) on topic New fish here- Boatload of questions
Hi Bret-

www.knightrealms.com/in-game/the-baronial-library.html

That will be a great starting point for you. A lot of the world information is in there, including culture documents. They're still working on finishing up all the cultures, but some are in there. Besides that, there's good info on the forums. And, if you can't find s culture you're looking for definitely don't hesitate to post onthe rules/ role play forum, and they'll point you in the right direction

For point 2- wild mages are much more accepted in travance than they used to be. You'll find most of them seem to be public about their abilities.

3- you can set oog-looking tents up with no problems. If you're concerned you can always add more ig looking pieces of fabric and tapestry to drape over it. There are a few different areas you can set up tents, and when you arrive at game people can direct you to a specific place (typically the Caravan field or by the guard barracks)

There are new player encounters that run all weekend, most notebly at 1am Saturday morning and then between 10am and 5pm. Saturday. Most of them hook from the inn. I'm sure a new player marshal will step in here to give you more information :)

Alt : Laurel Astraeus

OOG: Rae L
Marshal
Card Staff
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Argyle Del Dragon (AngryCelt), Jonas Menden (sweno)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
03 May 2017 23:29 - 03 May 2017 23:30 #4 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic New fish here- Boatload of questions
Hey, Bret!

Glad to hear you guys have some larping experience. We'll have training classes for those who do and don't, either in the Barn or the Inn ("the Double Tap") where we talk about the basic mechanics of how the game runs. New players who attend one of those training sessions, will be rewarded Service Points, which can be used to match build you get for attending events.

As Rachael mentioned about dressing up your tent, we do encourage immersion and certainly appreciate you bringing up that concern, but having a modern tent shouldn't pose an issue. If you need help setting it up or just want to know where to do so, let me know. I'd be happy to.

With regard to new player mods and encounters, beyond the times that Rachael noted above, we're working on adding more quests and activities that new players can do that don't necessarily require a hook. I'm really excited for that. There will be corkboards. They're in the corner of my room right now and hopefully be in use at the event when you all come around.

Also if you want to message me either here or on Facebook with questions that you or your friends have, feel free!

-Jeff

Last edit: 03 May 2017 23:30 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche).
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lad... Never hit if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting.... But if ye have to hit, never hit soft
  • Thank Yous: 537
05 May 2017 14:11 #5 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
Replied by JTinney (Swordsaint) on topic New fish here- Boatload of questions
As a side note on the Point 3-

The more common places folks set up tents are near the Kaladonia area, way off in the back by the Wagons/New Coast Haven, and the Guard Barracks.

There is a push to have groups camping along the path/road out towards the Dragoon Cairn and the Blood Spirits stay. Several good spots for small groups of tents to set up shop. And at least two spots are suitable with some work for firepits.

If you need help finding a solid location, more than willing to assist.

-John

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Templar-High Priest of Brazen
Chaplain, Bloodspirits Mercenary Company

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.496 seconds