New player checking in

19 Oct 2017 06:43 #1 by Emma Gregory (Tenei)
New player checking in was created by Emma Gregory (Tenei)
Hello, everyone! My name's Brittany, and I'll be attending this weekend's event with Sean (who posted much earlier).

I admit I'm almost completely new to LARP, and I haven't roleplayed in forever, but I'll do my best. I'm looking forward to playing with you all!

OOG -- Brittany H.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood)
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
19 Oct 2017 07:04 #2 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic New player checking in
I won't be there this weekend, but it's great having you in board! A Couple of the other New Player Marshals will chime in shortly. If you ever need anything, don't hesitate to ask. You can ask here, or find a Couple of us on Facebook. We're always around for new players if you need us.

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
19 Oct 2017 09:32 #3 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic New player checking in
Hi, Brittany!

Don't worry--not only do we not count being completely new or not role-playing in forever as marks against you, but we've been in your shoes. Even if you're not at your best, it's okay, as long as you're giving it a shot and having fun. That last part is the most important, so to echo what Matt said above, please don't hesitate to ask, especially questions that you think might be silly. We'd rather have you ask those than start playing and not know.

Since you mentioned roleplaying before though, what kind did you use to do?

-Jeff

19 Oct 2017 19:09 #4 by Emma Gregory (Tenei)
Replied by Emma Gregory (Tenei) on topic New player checking in
Thank you very much for the warm welcome.

Most of my RP experience is of the online text-based variety, mostly freeform via forums and journals. I've also done some online and face-to-face tabletop (old Mage and Werewolf, some D&D and Call of Cthulhu, assorted miscellaneous systems), but not for quite a while. I'm looking forward to trying to shake off some of the rust.

OOG -- Brittany H.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
19 Oct 2017 21:35 - 19 Oct 2017 21:35 #5 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic New player checking in
Once you're in your character's shoes for a little bit, it should all come back to you. Please don't worry if you don't understand everything your first go-around. We have veteran players calling "Clarify" on skills and asking for clarifications on the Rules board every now and then, so you'll be in good company. It's okay to ask questions.

Also, October event will have an extra focus on creating a spooky atmosphere. There is absolutely no shame in going out of game (your fist or your weapon on your head, or a white headband) and exiting from an encounter or a scene if you're feeling not-okay in real life. If anyone gives you grief about that, find myself or any other Marshal and we'll help resolve it. That's what we're here for.

Last edit: 19 Oct 2017 21:35 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.519 seconds