Carina the Noob

10 Dec 2018 19:33 #1 by Carina Gonzalez (librarina)
Carina the Noob was created by Carina Gonzalez (librarina)
Hello everyone!

My name is Carina Gonzalez. My daughter Emma and I are interested in playing Knight Realms. My daughter is ten years old. We both have acting experience and I have LARPed for many years, mostly Vampire.

We are interested in playing Selendrians. She is thinking Alchemist. I am thinking Monk. We have lots of questions before we go through the formal character submission process though. Do I ask these questions here?

Carina Gonzalez
(character yet to be created)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
10 Dec 2018 23:25 #2 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic Carina the Noob
Hi, Carina!

You can ask the questions here if you like, or in a private message, or in a message on Facebook if you can find me there--however you're most comfortable, we'll be here for you.

-Jeff

• Narcis
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • "For every living person there are generations of dead. Which realm would you rather rule?"
  • Thank Yous: 450
11 Dec 2018 12:28 #3 by Narcis (ChrisR)
Replied by Narcis (ChrisR) on topic Carina the Noob
Hi Carina!

I believe I played Vampire with you once upon a time! Jeff is great and you are in good hands with him but if you need anything else feel free to hit me up :) If I can't answer the question or Jeff can't we can totally point you in the direction of someone who can!

Welcome and I hope to see you around soon :D

OOG:Chris R.
Storyteller / Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
12 Dec 2018 17:55 #4 by Carina Gonzalez (librarina)
Replied by Carina Gonzalez (librarina) on topic Carina the Noob
Hi Christine and Jeff!

Yes indeed we have LARP'd together Christine. Heh, small world.

Ok, here are my questions in no particular order. Apologies if the answers are somewhere obvious and I just failed to find it.

From what I have read Selendrians are tribal and have certain sigils for certain tribes? Where do I learn about those?

My daughter is interested in being an alchemist, but that sounds like a non-combat class? She was imaging an archer with the ability to craft poisoned arrows. (We just finished reading Hunger Games so she's all about that right now).

I heard that combat isn't allowed until age 14 but couldn't find confirmation of that on the site.

I see dogs in some of the pictures. Does that mean I can bring my dog? Does that mean there are dogs in the sleeping quarters?

The event is for an entire weekend, but does that mean it is game on the entire weekend? So we can be startled awake and attacked at any time? Is it permitted to go home and sleep and just come back in the morning?

Is it the same price if we don't stay the entire weekend?

Are there any other children playing Knight Realms right now?

Do my daughter and I need our character concepts connected because she needs to be near me at all times or can she go about on her own?

Is there someone with whom we can discuss our character concepts before submitting a formal application?

Is it possible to attend but not be a part of the game, to see what it is like?

Thanks in advance!

Carina

Carina Gonzalez
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
13 Dec 2018 18:14 #5 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Carina,

By their "nature," Selendrians can definitely be seen as tribal. There aren't any specific tribes listed in their Lore Wiki entry , but feel free to use our Selendrian Pinterest board for inspiration!
www.pinterest.com/knightrealms/selendrian-inspiration/

Alchemist is largely non-combat, but does have some "bombs" (one of them that poisons) that could prove helpful in combat--even if she has to sell them or hand them off to other people for use ("Here, throw this at him!").

From our General Policies section:

Players between the age of 10 and 13 may attend if they are first cleared by the Director and also under the care of a legal guardian at all times who has assumed all responsibilities for the child. Players between the age of 10 and 13 may only play non-combative roles and must be considered combat inactive. Players under the age of 10 are only allowed on the premises after being pre-cleared by the Director.

So yes, a player must be at least 14 years old to participate in combat.

Service animals are allowed; other than that, our Week in the Life event would be the time to bring your pup. The first three days of the five-day event is solely role-playing and since there weren't be, say, stampeding hordes of goblin warriors, it would be a safe environment for a dog to roam about on a leash.

Yes, the game is 'on' the whole weekend from lay-on Friday night through the Hold on Sunday afternoon. In certain circumstances (with the presence of a Marshal), NPCs do enter cabins on occasion but it isn't a regular occurrence. Yes, you're allowed to go home to sleep and come back.

It is the same price if you don't stay the entire weekend.

There are other children who play; from what I remember a good majority they only come a couple of times of year because of the distance their parents live from the Camp.

Backstory-wise and who her character is, she can go about on her own, but physically she's under your supervision. Both of your characters don't have to be blood relatives. There are other dynamics the two of you could have--she's a spy or some sort of troublemaker, so you've been keeping an eye on her all the way from Selimport!

So long as you're discrete, it shouldn't be a problem to come visit and wander about. Please talk with our Director (James) before doing so though!

21 Dec 2018 16:40 #6 by Carina Gonzalez (librarina)
Replied by Carina Gonzalez (librarina) on topic Carina the Noob
Hello again,

I spoke with James and he said it was alright for my daughter and I to come to your next game to lurk and learn. Yay! He said we could even start character concepts if we wanted. I looked around the site and couldn't find out where to submit character concepts though. Where do I start?

Carina Gonzalez

Carina Gonzalez
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
21 Dec 2018 22:54 #7 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Character backstories are submitted through the Card System, which is a separate website and can prove a fierce dragon to tame at times. But as my signature says, I happen to be on the Card Team and can help with that when you're ready. Also, some of the information on the website is outdated; not to fear, updates are in the works.

In the meantime, I'd be happy to look over your character concepts and give pointers if needed!

-Jeff

Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.497 seconds