New Player from NY

18 Jun 2019 13:52 #1 by Vasryn Bira Skuggare (Lchangeling)
New Player from NY was created by Vasryn Bira Skuggare (Lchangeling)
Hello. My name is Jan. I just discovered LARPing at a local Ren Faire where they had a very casual form of it being played. I did some searching online and found Knight Realms. My cousin and I are very interested in playing at the next game, though we are unsure if 9 days is enough time to learn the lore well enough and get costumes together in time. We are debating going strictly as NPC's the first time, in order to get a feel for how the game works. Though I have to admit the desire to jump in feet first with my first PC is very hard to resist.

I have a general question that I can't seem to find an answer to. It looks like you can be attacked at night while sleeping. If I wear a costume that requires makeup and prosthetics (Like a Satyr), I was thinking it would be messy and uncomfortable while sleeping. I was just wondering what the situation would be when I go to sleep if the prosthetics fell off.

Graciously and with Respect,
~Vasryn Bira Skuggare

(OOG: Jan Keichline)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
18 Jun 2019 14:10 #2 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic New Player from NY
Hi, Jan!

We'll be glad to have you both come join us. Having a fun time is far more important than stellar costuming, especially if it's your first larp ever. We do have a Facebook group dedicated to crafting and costuming, whether you need advice, want to commission something, or there are a couple of pieces you need to borrow:
www.facebook.com/groups/krcrafters/

As for lore, I can definitely connect you with people who know their stuff and should be able to get you up to speed with the basics.

Yes, we are a 24-hour larp and cabin raids are a possibility, depending on a given event's plot. You'll be alright if you're not completely made up when you're sleeping.

If either you or your cousin has any questions you want to ask (especially ones you think are "silly" or "dumb"!), let me know by replying here, sending me a PM, or contacting me on Facebook.

Welcome to Knight Realms!

-Jeff

18 Jun 2019 14:50 #3 by Vasryn Bira Skuggare (Lchangeling)
Replied by Vasryn Bira Skuggare (Lchangeling) on topic New Player from NY
Thanks so much for the link and answer! I do have another question for you.

I know that metal, wood, and plastic weapons are not allowed. However, I have a wooden wand that I may wish to use for the sake of a prop, and a glass potion bottle. Would these be allowed on site?

~Vasryn Bira Skuggare

• Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
18 Jun 2019 15:23 #4 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Yes, both would be allowed. Wands aren't for striking anyway, so that's perfectly acceptable.

19 Jun 2019 18:28 #5 by Vasryn Bira Skuggare (Lchangeling)
Thanks! I have a few more questions after having a day to daydream.

I know authenticity is key, would bringing a sleeping bag be a bad idea? Or should I rustle up some blankets that are theme appropriate? Like some suede lined blankets or microfiber in rustic colours?

Also, for first time players, is there a loaning or renting option? I am pretty sure part of my costume will not arrive in time.

~Vasryn Bira Skuggare

• Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Jun 2019 13:12 #6 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Speaking on KR's behalf, we very much appreciate the eye toward authenticity and you're encouraged to strive for as much as you want. Sleeping bags are just fine, though, especially in the colder months. That said, you've piqued my interest when you mentioned suede-lined blankets! Let me know if you find a source.

You're allowed to borrow armaments and garb from Logistics as long as you have permission from a Marshal, who will sign on your card that you're borrowing something. By the end of the weekend, make sure you have a Marshal (it doesn't need to be the same one) sign off that you returned it and you'll be all set.

-Jeff

20 Jun 2019 16:04 - 20 Jun 2019 22:14 #7 by Vasryn Bira Skuggare (Lchangeling)
Wonderful! I will no longer be feeling anxiety about my purchases arriving in time since I can borrow something for the game this month. By next months game I will have my costume complete. (I am not ashamed to admit that my gamer group has set aside time for the next four events KR is hosting.)

As for the blankets, I have not found a site that actually makes them. I have a design set out to make my own for the purpose of the game. I am not nearly as skilled as the people who make arms, cloths, or the like. But I can pull off some lovely creative alterations or simple sewing projects.

Also, I am not positive I understand the build design right. Can you take more than one class? Such as a Shaman who wants to pursue being a Alchemist as well?

~Vasryn Bira Skuggare

Last edit: 20 Jun 2019 22:14 by Vasryn Bira Skuggare (Lchangeling). Reason: I thought of another question to ask.
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
22 Jun 2019 23:21 #8 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
(I'm not ashamed to admit that we'll be ecstatic to have all of you here for those four events!).

We have a group dedicated to customing and crafting if you'd like to check it out:
www.facebook.com/groups/krcrafters/

It's for people who want to share what they're working on, ask for tips, shop for commissions, or share advice to those who could use it!

You're able to take more than one class once you reach the build pre-requisites.

For a second class, 100 build earned; for a third, 148; and for a fourth class, 226 build. It doesn't need to be spent, but you do need at least that much before you're allowed to multi-class.

So, to be a Shaman AND an Alchemist, you need at least 100 build to your character's name.

22 Jun 2019 23:48 #9 by Vasryn Bira Skuggare (Lchangeling)
Thanks so much for the help! I feel pretty well prepared now for Friday!

~Vasryn Bira Skuggare

06 Aug 2019 12:21 #10 by Vasryn Bira Skuggare (Lchangeling)
Hello! I have another question. What are Baronial Notes?

~Vasryn Bira Skuggare

• Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
06 Aug 2019 12:51 #11 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Dollar bills; bucks; Federal Reserve notes!

Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.540 seconds