Event Sign Up and Character Creation Questions

• Ryf Raff
  • Thank Yous: 0
01 Mar 2020 13:40 #1 by Ryf Raff (ryf_raff)
Event Sign Up and Character Creation Questions was created by Ryf Raff (ryf_raff)
Hi folks! New player here looking forward to attending the March event with a friend. I have a few questions that I've had a bit of trouble finding a concrete answer to. If these have been answered before and I just completely missed it, my apologies!

1) Do we have to RSVP in advance or can we just show up the Friday evening of the event? I saw something about sending a check in advance but from my understanding, early sign-up was optional. I also have one of the cards given out at PAX Unplugged that I was told I could submit to get this first event free if that changes things.

2) One of the races I am interested in playing (Elthiirian) requires "short prosthetic ear tips". Would it be acceptable to simply shape my ears into being pointed with spirit gum or the like, or will I have to acquire a small prosthetic? I also currently have a hair color that isn't white, grey, or black. Will that be an issue? Just curious to know how lenient the character creation rules are in terms of appearance.

3) Any tips on making your first PC? My friend and I are still in the process making ours and would love some ideas! I also just think it would be cool to hear how some of y'all came up with your characters if you're willing to share; I've been looking through the photo gallery and what I've seen so far is amazing.

Thank you in advance! Can't wait to meet y'all in two weeks!

OOG: Bren Fitz
  • Lois Heimdell
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • "All good stories are built on conflict," said the Raven to the Writing Desk.
  • Thank Yous: 1026
02 Mar 2020 11:11 #2 by Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Replied by Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell) on topic Event Sign Up and Character Creation Questions

Ryf Raff (ryf_raff) wrote:

Hi folks! New player here looking forward to attending the March event with a friend. I have a few questions that I've had a bit of trouble finding a concrete answer to. If these have been answered before and I just completely missed it, my apologies!

Welcome! ^_^ Glad you decided to give us a try!

1) Do we have to RSVP in advance or can we just show up the Friday evening of the event? I saw something about sending a check in advance but from my understanding, early sign-up was optional. I also have one of the cards given out at PAX Unplugged that I was told I could submit to get this first event free if that changes things.

You do not need to RSVP in advance, even with the promo card. We can work with you ahead of time to help you and your friend find a sleeping area if you'd like, or you can take any of the available first-come-first-serve bunks in the inn or barn buildings.

2) One of the races I am interested in playing (Elthiirian) requires "short prosthetic ear tips". Would it be acceptable to simply shape my ears into being pointed with spirit gum or the like, or will I have to acquire a small prosthetic? I also currently have a hair color that isn't white, grey, or black. Will that be an issue? Just curious to know how lenient the character creation rules are in terms of appearance.

For your first event or two, we're very lenient with appearance guidelines. We understand that the initial layout to start can be really daunting, and there are also sometimes supply chain issues (long shipping times, things out of stock, etc.). You're also allowed to totally rewrite your character within your first few events, so we understand that you may not went to spend a lot of money on something you're not sure you'll need. This community is pretty generous with loaning things to new players, so just let us know what you'd like to try!

If you don't want to wear a prosthetic in general, have you seen those tips that hook over your ear like headphones? Kind of like this: www.amazon.com/Secaden-Cosplay-Pointed-C...sories/dp/B06Y47B2MZ (although I'd get a recommendation for a specific one to order from someone who uses them first). You could paint them to match the shade you've decided on for your character. We also have a few people who like to use jewelry like this: www.etsy.com/listing/648008947/elven-ear...ir-earcuffs-elf-ears , which you might find more comfortable than spirit gumming your ear into an unnatural shape ;-)

3) Any tips on making your first PC? My friend and I are still in the process making ours and would love some ideas! I also just think it would be cool to hear how some of y'all came up with your characters if you're willing to share; I've been looking through the photo gallery and what I've seen so far is amazing.

Don't over-plan! Most of the best RP and story at LARP is emergent, so give yourself room to grow and change and not be locked into a really specific backstory. There's nothing wrong with "I'm just here to see the world".

Thank you in advance! Can't wait to meet y'all in two weeks!

Same! :)

----

----
((OOG: Cassie Stanley, Marshal Deputy))
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Ryf Raff (ryf_raff)
  • Ryf Raff
  • Thank Yous: 0
05 Mar 2020 11:15 #3 by Ryf Raff (ryf_raff)
Replied by Ryf Raff (ryf_raff) on topic Event Sign Up and Character Creation Questions
Thank you so much! This is all super helpful. I'll admit I was nervous about not getting the right appearance for my character down by next weekend, so I'm glad to know things are so lenient for new players! Really excited to dive in once we get there!

OOG: Bren Fitz
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.448 seconds