Update on Squeaks' (Squeakses? Squeaker's?) status

10 Feb 2009 10:58 - 10 Feb 2009 11:21 #1 by Sister Danae (Danae)
Update on Squeaks' (Squeakses? Squeaker's?) status was created by Sister Danae (Danae)
As many of you already somehow found that (Thanks Geoffrey) I ruptured my appendix at the beginning of the year. Now, for most people, they would have been patched up and minus and appendix by now.

Unfortunately for me, I'm not most people. I have what my doctors(notice the "s") like to call Complicated Appendicitis. It really just means that I messed up. How is this my fault? Because I didn't go to the Doctors to get it checked out when I should have. I had appendicitis early December, and never thought once to get checked out. Even after my appendix finally had enough of it all, and ruptured, it still took me five days to get to the hospital. In that time the infection spread back into my ovaries, and I went into sepsis. My body was shutting down on me. I was very lucky I didn't wait longer then I did. By the time I got into the ER I was so fevered and dehydrated I was quite agreeable when they told me I ruptured my appendix and would need surgery down the road.

Now, for the slightly more detailed part. Weak stomachs need not apply. Now, the easiest way to remove an infection like that is to insert what they call a JP Drain into the infected area. It's pretty much a tube with a plastic bulb at the end. The bulb is squeezed shut to create suction, which causes the infection to be drain.  I've had four of these so far, all in the same spot. Having one of them isn't fun. For the first week of getting one I could barely sit up I was in so much pain. The procedure to get one in or replace one is painful too. You're awake the whole time. I still have one in my stomach, I'll link a picture at the end.

ANYWAYS - Sometime this week I have to get my 4th(5th?) Cat Scan. This is pretty much for the Doctor's to check on my progress. If everything's going really well, they'll be able to take the JP Drain out. If not - I"ll have to keep it til my surgery(where, if you had missed it, they'll remove my appendix.) This is going to be on March 30th. Which pretty much means I won't be doing any traveling until some point in April. Supposedly the surgery should be pretty smooth and recovery won't take long, but with how the rest of this has been, I'm not too hopeful.

Pretty much the point of this rant is, if you feel really sick, please don't wait around. I was in the hospital for stays three times in January. I have to go back to see my doctors constantly, and they call me all the time. I have a nurse that comes to my house to make sure I'm ok. I almost died. I've been on antibiotics and pretty much under house arrest. It isn't fun. Especially when WoW servers are down.(I hate Tuesday mornings) Just take care of yourself.(Saying this amuses me, because like a month before I ruptured my appendix I started trying to be healthier, eating better, less soda, stopped smoking...) But seriously, take care of your body, you only have one. You never know when you might not get to say goodbye.

These are pics of the drain in my abdomen. I don't think they're especially gross or graphic, but look with caution, I guess. I'm sure someone would find it gross.
i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt67/Josalingoboom/pic3.jpg
i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt67/Josalingoboom/pic4.jpg

Hopefully, I'll see you all in April, or May!
xoxo,
Michaela

Dame Danae Hainsworth
Cleric of Valos
Second Knight of Pendarvin

"Where something bad happens, you have three choices...
You can either let it define you, let it destroy you, or let it strengthen you."

OOG: Michaela Benton
Last edit: 10 Feb 2009 11:21 by .
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
10 Feb 2009 11:16 #2 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Update on Squeaks' (Squeakses? Squeaker's?) status
First... awesome pictures.  ;D  Second... feel better and get better soon.  Third... I've heard horror stories of folks who wave away pain, sickness, and other stuff just cause they think they don't wanna be cry-babies or aren't coming down with anything serious.  Those folks (if lucky) get to live to regret it.  :P  Appendicitis ain't fun.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
10 Feb 2009 11:45 #3 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Update on Squeaks' (Squeakses? Squeaker's?) status
When your body issues you a pain notice, it is telling you something.  I ignored my tender abdomen overnight, figuring it was nothing (1979).  Fortunately, my physician lived next door, about 1000 feet away.  When I could not walk over in the morning, I knew there was a problem.

The anesthesiologist said if I had waited another 6 hours, I might have seen him under different circumstances.  He was the county coroner.

You are one lucky woman, Squeaks.  Also - I second what Paul said - neat photos. 

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • Secarius
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Cinis et Cinis Pulvis Et Pulvis
  • Thank Yous: 1
10 Feb 2009 14:55 #4 by Secarius (Secarius)
Replied by Secarius (Secarius) on topic Update on Squeaks' (Squeakses? Squeaker's?) status
and with a third, motion carried "cool photos"

glad to hear ut not dead... we all miss u @ KR. hope u get well quicker than expected so u can get back to us..

Upside.. you can only get apendiscitis once so u never have to worry about it again.. unless ur a freak who regrows organs.. MUTANT!

anyways.. ur lucky u didnt die!

yes if u feel sick and OCT medicine isnt cutting the mustard.. GO TO THE DR!

be well... er be ... get better!

damn tuesday sever shutdowns...

ALex S.
player of Brax the Barbarian
10 Feb 2009 18:14 #5 by Sister Danae (Danae)
Replied by Sister Danae (Danae) on topic Update on Squeaks' (Squeakses? Squeaker's?) status
Actually, you can get Appendicitis twice, which is why they take it out....

And trust me, I realize I'm lucky.

Dame Danae Hainsworth
Cleric of Valos

You can either let it define you, let it destroy you, or let it strengthen you."

10 Feb 2009 18:23 #6 by Jurgur'mosh Goretusk (MattF)
Replied by Jurgur'mosh Goretusk (MattF) on topic Update on Squeaks' (Squeakses? Squeaker's?) status
I miss my squeaks, so does Olivia. I hope we get to see you soon.

Jurgur'mosh GoreTusk
free orc
(OOG-Matt F)
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
10 Feb 2009 20:08 #7 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic Update on Squeaks' (Squeakses? Squeaker's?) status
Cant wait to see you on your feet and beating the crap out of things with plumbing supplies again.  We miss you!

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
  • Secarius
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Cinis et Cinis Pulvis Et Pulvis
  • Thank Yous: 1
10 Feb 2009 20:44 #8 by Secarius (Secarius)
Replied by Secarius (Secarius) on topic Update on Squeaks' (Squeakses? Squeaker's?) status
it cant come back once its out

ALex S.
player of Brax the Barbarian
10 Feb 2009 21:03 #9 by Sister Danae (Danae)
Replied by Sister Danae (Danae) on topic Update on Squeaks' (Squeakses? Squeaker's?) status
Yes, but it can if they don't take it out. Which is what I said. Thank you for repeating something that didn't need repeated?

Dame Danae Hainsworth
Cleric of Valos

• Aria
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 215
10 Feb 2009 21:13 #10 by Aria (Aria)
Replied by Aria (Aria) on topic Update on Squeaks' (Squeakses? Squeaker's?) status
Alex, really!!  I'm sure Squeaks knows better about her condition then any of us.  She was kind enough to give us an update.  How about you try not to fight with her, as that achieves nothing.....

Glad to hear you are doing better Squeaks.  I wish you a quick recovery, and can't wait to see you again soon.

Dame Tari Zhafirah Stonebar Deldragon of the Order of the Sagewardens
Dean of Arcane Studies of the Darkwood Acadamy of the Metaphysical Arts

Playing with fire is bad for those who burn themselves.  For the rest of us, it is a very great pleasure....
  • JoDios
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • That guy with the muffin hat.
  • Thank Yous: 0
12 Feb 2009 05:39 #11 by JoDios (JoDios)
Replied by JoDios (JoDios) on topic Update on Squeaks' (Squeakses? Squeaker's?) status
Get better soon hun!

OOG: Jo
  • Magnus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In fearful Day, In Raging Night...
  • Thank Yous: 483
12 Feb 2009 22:07 #12 by Magnus (hippy g0th)
Replied by Magnus (hippy g0th) on topic Update on Squeaks' (Squeakses? Squeaker's?) status
*Hugs*  get well soon kiddo

Matthew Majchrzak

ST

Lord General Magnus

"Not Dead Yet!"
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.575 seconds