New Quiz

• geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
25 Apr 2009 12:59 #1 by geezer (geezer)
New Quiz was created by geezer (geezer)
Since feeding the last two winners, Andy and Jackie, I decided to try to come up with one that is at least semi-Google proof.  I am certain you guys will let me know.

I am so confident that no one will get them all, that if anyone does, they can invite a guest.  No collaborating.

Quiz

1 – Captain Langsdorf commanded Graf Spee.
Explain the significance of the circumstances and setting of his death.

2 – The Deutchland (latter renamed Lutzow) class has been historically called “pocket battleships.”  Explain. Including why Deutchland it was renamed (find that by Googling - HAH).

3 – What did the switchman know by the engine’s moan?

4 – In her brief active career, Battleship Bismarck lived at the margins of high improbability.  Explain.

5 - How might history have been changed had Moses Miamonides consented to be the personal physician of Richard II?  His reply when asked is also a gem.  Bonus points if provided.

6 – Gimme question.  Explain the rhyme “Divorced, beheaded, died.  Divorced, beheaded, survived?

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
27 Apr 2009 00:04 #2 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic New Quiz
ALex took a nice cut, with no Googling.  There is room for improvement, however

He got partial on 1, most of 2, most of 4, but not a good explanation, some of 5 and all of 6.

Since the work week is not starting, i suppose some of you will be able to devote some time to this. :)

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
27 Apr 2009 12:19 #3 by geezer (geezer)
Vince has jumped in the lead.  He got parts of each (only a smidgeon of #5, which is holding up well.  Missed some of #1 also, but hey, this one is tougher than the others.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
29 Apr 2009 11:47 #4 by geezer (geezer)
Vince is the winner.  Finally, some Google proof answers (or parts of answers.  I imaging Google might provide the citations, if one read the references. 

The answers:
1 – Captain Langsdorff commanded Graf Spee.
Explain the significance of the circumstances and setting of his death.

After the battle of the River Plate, Langsdorff berthed in Montevideo Harbor (Uruguay).  Convinced the British had a superior force waiting, and told he must vacate the harbor, he scuttled his ship in order to save the lives of his crew.  In order silence the criticism he knew would be leveled at home, and to demonstrate he was personally not afraid to die, he committed suicide, arranging his body so that it would fall on the German Battle Ensign, not the Nazi flag.

Interestingly enough, Graf Spee had captured and sunk 9 ships, with no loss of life among the enemy crews.

2 – The Deutchland (latter renamed Lutzow) class has been historically called “pocket battleships.”  Explain. Including why Deutchland it was renamed (find that by Googling - HAH).

Due to treaty limitations, nations were limited to the weight of the ships they could build.  Due to a novel engine design (in line diesels) and radical hull construction (welding vs. rivets) the Deutchland class weighed much less than others of similar size, and could thus carry 280 mm guns (11 inches) vs the 203 mm (8") guns normally carried by heavy cruisers.  This meant, in straight language, that she could outfight any ship she could not outrun, thus the term "pocket battleship."

The River Plate scenario, Graf Spee vs Exeter, Ajax, and Achilles, is one of the most balanced around.  Ideal for 2-4 players.  I can run it in 1/6000 or 1/2400 scale. :)

During the German invasion of Norway, a German heavy cruiser was sunk by shore based torpedoes.  Hitler thought the negative morale of a ship named Deutchland sharing that fate was unacceptable and thus had he ship renamed.

3 - 3 – What did the switchman know by the engine’s moan?

That the man at the throttle was Casey Jones.

4 – In her brief active career, Battleship Bismarck lived at the margins of high improbability.  Explain.

Simply put, every action in which she was involved had a highly improbable result.  Rather than a long, losing slugfest with Prince of Wales and Hood (Bismarck was accompanied by the much less effective heavy cruiser, Prinz Eugen), Hood was sunk around six minutes into the battle, a statistical probability in the order of 1 in 6,000 to 1 in 10,000

The damage done to her by one of the 14" hits from PoW was negligible, but casused a leak in one of her fuel bunkers, allowing her to be shadowed by Norfolk and Suffolk without them having to stay in range of Bismarck's guns.  The chances of such a hit causing that particular damage, and it being irreparable at sea is in the order of 1 in 2,500

15 biplanes from Ark Royal launched torpedoes at her.  The torpedoes were such that at most minor damage would result from a hit unless the hit occurred at the rudder, when it was turning ard and in such a manner as it was jammed also ruining a propeller.  Need I say what occured and what the odds were?

She lived and died at the margins.

5 - How might history have been changed had Moses Maimonides consented to be the personal physician of Richard I?  His reply when asked is also a gem.  Bonus points if provided.

Maimonides was the personal physician of Saladin during the third Crusade, during which he treated Richard I (sorry for misciting him as RII).  Richard was so impressed he asked Maimonides to come to England and be his personal physician.  Had Maimonides accepted, Richard would most likely have survived the infection which caused his eath.  This in turn, might have provided him with the opportunity (ten years not being long enough, evidently) to consummate his his marriage with Blanche and maybe produce an heir, thus sparing England from the kingship of John.

Maimonides reply was something to the effect to "Why should I leave the heart of civilization and culture to live in England where my people are treated like chattel?"

6 – Gimme question.  Explain the rhyme “Divorced, beheaded, died.  Divorced, beheaded, survived"

The fate of the wives of Henry VIII of England

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.435 seconds