Star Trek

08 May 2009 04:44 #1 by WayaMilenko (WayaMilenko)
Star Trek was created by WayaMilenko (WayaMilenko)
Yes, I have returned to speak on this.

The movie is phenomenal and does not screw up current cannon...this may be spoilerish so precede at your own warning...

The story we all grew up on and love are not dead. Those did happen, as they explain in the film this created a alternate universe (and need I remind the hardcore folks that there is precedent for this...beared Spock ring a bell). The universe we all know still exist, we know this because OG Spock would cease to exist if it didn't, he is just incapable of going back to that universe.

Now some history is obviously changed, but it is an alternate reality so the blood thing never happens, The Cage never happens and the second pilot never happens.Hell, Savick, David Marcus and many others are likely eliminated from existence.Certain things in the future will definitely happen (events in ST:TMP and IV) Something else hasn't happened yet either, and this is the good news.

For the sequel, there is only one place they need to go...the Botany Bay...and from hell's heart we shall stab at thee...

Waya Milenko

(OOG-Clint)
08 May 2009 12:42 #2 by Dr. Kamei Kunsai (Kamei Lazuli)
Replied by Dr. Kamei Kunsai (Kamei Lazuli) on topic Star Trek
I am so excited for this movie! I can't wait to see it! I'm glad that you posted this up, because I was wondering if they messed anything up or if it wasn't that good.  Thank you, now I'm even more excited lol

[Kamei Kunsai, Vassal and Health Administer of Kaladonia]
[Luminista Petsho-Aeislin]

(oog: Shannon F.)
  • JoDios
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • That guy with the muffin hat.
  • Thank Yous: 0
11 May 2009 10:22 #3 by JoDios (JoDios)
Replied by JoDios (JoDios) on topic Star Trek
I saw it and enjoyed it immensly.  One of the best Star Trek films.

OOG: Jo
  • Bellanear
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 13
11 May 2009 16:42 #4 by Bellanear (Alai)
Replied by Bellanear (Alai) on topic Star Trek

I saw it and enjoyed it immensly.  [strike]One of[/strike] The Best Star Trek film[strike]s[/strike].

Fixed.

-Bellanear Cyeos
The Alabaster Seal
Guardian of The Ivory Tower

Gavin S.
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
11 May 2009 17:17 #5 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Star Trek
Woah... now I have to see this and then ST II: Wrath of Khan and see what happens.  Heads could explode with this...

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • Bellanear
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 13
11 May 2009 18:08 #6 by Bellanear (Alai)
Replied by Bellanear (Alai) on topic Star Trek
There is really no competition.  As far as just movies go, Star Trek is the far superior film.  As far as Trek movies go, it is still far better than WoK.  Heck, First Contact was better than Wrath.

Although I do have to say, there isn't anything that matches Spock's death.  Still, one moment does not the best movie make.

-Bellanear Cyeos
The Alabaster Seal
Guardian of The Ivory Tower

Gavin S.
  • Tiriel
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thank Yous: 1
11 May 2009 18:32 #7 by Tiriel (Tiriel)
Replied by Tiriel (Tiriel) on topic Star Trek
I likted it.

That said, one Space Marine could still wipe out the whole crew of the Enterprise with no problem.

T

Brother Tiriel Tellinghast
Valrkirin Urulokion, in service to Lord Blackthorne
Turin MacLeod (NPC)

Terry
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
11 May 2009 19:27 #8 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Star Trek
Give me a platoon of Starship Troopers, from the book.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • Cameron
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 15
11 May 2009 19:52 - 11 May 2009 20:15 #9 by Cameron (Galen)
Replied by Cameron (Galen) on topic Star Trek
Genetically enhanced supermen and tacnuke-wielding supersuits aside...

I was extremely critical of this movie when I saw the trailer.  In fact I maintain that the trailers were very poorly made and did not do the scenes they used any sort of justice.  Over the years, Trek has, in my mind, fallen down and not been able to get back up.  I did not really enjoy Voyager and parts of Enterprise made me want to use brain bleach.  The trailers for this movie made it seem like more of the same, but more edgy and extreme.

I feared that this and this had a vicious Romulan Hulk baby that was about to tread all over my brain.

That said, I enjoyed it.  I was ready to tear this movie apart tooth and nail, but in the end, I just couldn't.  I'm not going to gush and say it was a perfect movie, but all the flaws I could name are mostly little tiny nitpicks that only make me seem petty for noticing them.  This is the start, and quite possibly the top of the Summer movie season as far as I'm concerned.  Not only did I like it, despite one of Trek's most overused plot devices being the basis for the entire setup, I want to see the sequel.

I will say no more, other than if you haven't seen it, go, even if you're not a big Trek person.  It's worth a watch.

Sir Not Appearing At This Game
Last edit: 11 May 2009 20:15 by .
  • dedrite
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • For the Emperor!
  • Thank Yous: 1
11 May 2009 20:14 #10 by dedrite (dedrite)
Replied by dedrite (dedrite) on topic Star Trek
Overrated.

-Brother Knight Templar Sabatheous Tellinghast-
Knight Templar of the Order of the Brilliant Hammer
Holy Inquisitor of the Church of Kormyre

Crudelius est quam mori semper timere mortem

"Nothing is ever forgotten"

((Joe Bondi-Marketing Officer))
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
19 May 2009 10:31 #11 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
I went and saw it over this past weekend.  It was an ok movie for me.  Some stuff I liked, some I didn't.  Overall, I felt I got my money's worth (especially since I caught an early matinee of it for $6.00).

I like the actor they had playing Bones as he was Eomer in Lord of the Ring, the Russian hitman in the Bourne Supremacy, and a bunch of other roles in movies.  He really had the diction and mannerisms down pretty good.

What I didn't like was "Kung-Fu Action Fencing" Sulu.  :-\

Vassal of Alisandria
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
19 May 2009 10:50 - 19 May 2009 10:52 #12 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic Star Trek
Why?  Fencing Sulu was an awesome homage to The Naked Time, in which Takei had to learn fencing for the filming of the ST episode after he had lied and said he already had training in it.  That sword was kickass.

I greatly enjoyed the movie.  The actors did an amazing job both playing such classic characters as well as giving each their own personal and updated twist.  My favorate new edition I won't post, as it could be considered a spoiler.

Speaking of which, did you know this was the first time Uhura's first name has been spoken on screen?

Clint, I completely agree on the Botany Bay.  I just rewatched that episode this weekend - forgot how well done it was.

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
Last edit: 19 May 2009 10:52 by .
  • Odo Garaath
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Back and Ready For More!
  • Thank Yous: 12
19 May 2009 11:14 #13 by Odo Garaath (Odo)
Replied by Odo Garaath (Odo) on topic Star Trek
It was awesome.

Good job in part on Zachary Quinto and his way of breaking away from a character everyone knows him as.

"Praise be to Enax, and blessing to his followers."

(Tom Senger )
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
19 May 2009 11:26 #14 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)

Why?  Fencing Sulu was an awesome homage to The Naked Time, in which Takei had to learn fencing for the filming of the ST episode after he had lied and said he already had training in it.  That sword was kickass.

I agree the sword design and idea was kick-ass.  If they had Sulu just plain fencing, would've been cool.

Vassal of Alisandria
19 May 2009 11:50 #15 by Lord Devirr (Eliston)
Replied by Lord Devirr (Eliston) on topic Star Trek
Let me preface this before i say anything. I hate the original start trek movies, shows, and pretty much everything else that was star trek related. That being said I really really liked this new movie. It has some good action sequences, some really funny moments, and just a generally good story line. The fencing sulu part may have been a little cheesy but whatever, anything is better than the old star trek and thier phasers that looked like garage door openers. The actual space ship fighting was also pretty cool. In the end i thought it was a pretty good movie and I would definately see the next one that came out. I also give them an A+ for making a movie that people other than star trek fans would like.

tommy
pc- lex, elaith, eliston
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
19 May 2009 12:01 #16 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Star Trek
IIRC the original phasers were very slightly modified commissary salt and pepper shakers. :)

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
19 May 2009 15:26 #17 by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred)
Replied by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred) on topic Star Trek
I thought that is was medical scanners that were originally designed to be the salt shaker for the salt creature episodes, but when it was pointed out that they would have to explain that the weird looking thing was in fact a salt shaker before having the creature go after it, it was decided that they would be re-used as a different prop that needed less explaination for the plot to move on.

Though I'm digging into the adolescent nerd-ity for that one... which I have completely overcome now that I am an adult :-P

I liked the movie a lot... McCoy was awesome... spot on with the voice, you close your eyes and "you are there".

Was a little iffy on Spock's emotions... then I remembered that in the Cage, he showed much more emotions, and figured that we are seeing him when he is younger, when Pike was his commander, and he had less control over his emotions... but still, too much.

The rest was good enough for what I was looking for.

-OOG Michael Smith
  • JoDios
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • That guy with the muffin hat.
  • Thank Yous: 0
31 May 2009 12:05 #18 by JoDios (JoDios)
Replied by JoDios (JoDios) on topic Star Trek
I thought Zachary Quinto was a fantastic Spock.  There was a lot of depth to his performance and you could see Spock struggling with his human side

OOG: Jo
  • Ming Na
  • Strength Through Unity!
  • Thank Yous: 24
31 May 2009 16:27 #19 by Ming Na (Ming Na)
Replied by Ming Na (Ming Na) on topic Star Trek
Being a star trek fan for years I must say that i saw it and enjoyed it immensely. My only two negative things I can say about a other wise fine movie is that star trek needs to get away from Time distortions altogether & I have been happy fully turned away from the ultra clean world of star trek and favor now a more dark and dirty sci fi world like Battle star galactic

In service to the people

Ming Nagata

OOC: Dan Gill
  • Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 2677
01 Jun 2009 13:43 #20 by Gallion (Gallion)
Replied by Gallion (Gallion) on topic Star Trek
I saw this movie last week.

It was completely awesome! I might try to see it a few more times before it leaves the theaters ;)

- James C. Kimball Director, Knight Realms
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.655 seconds