how to make a boffer polearm?

26 Jul 2009 16:24 #1 by Mordecai Ashfields (ambrose_leonidas)
how to make a boffer polearm? was created by Mordecai Ashfields (ambrose_leonidas)
can someone please tell me a good way to make a polearm thats thick but not to thick or thin. and what would i use for the inside? a fiberglass rod? like driveway markers?

please and thank you.

Cody Queen

Rupert the adventurer

OOG: Cody Robert Queen
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
26 Jul 2009 16:39 #2 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic how to make a boffer polearm?
Here's the basics:

www.knightrealms.com/index.php?option=co...view&id=49&Itemid=62

There's a few links in the "Web Links" part of the site (at the bottom of the menu, to the left) that have Kite Supplies for sale, so you can get fiberglass or graphite rods.

The biggest challenge you're going to face on a long weapon is Whip.  You need to make SURE you do everything you can to avoid this - strapping tape, spiraled in both directions, is the best bet.

You may want to make a few smaller weapons first, and donate them, to get the hang of it.  From there, you can make a longer one.  Or, if you're near someone who has experience, ask for help for your first weapon.

If worst comes to absolute worst, Becky (player of Gwen the Dragoon) makes an awesome ultralight boffer polearm, which she sells at events.  If you contact her for a price, it may be less expensive than buying all the supplies once you factor in gas, shipping, etc. to get them all for just one polearm.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
26 Jul 2009 16:54 #3 by Mordecai Ashfields (ambrose_leonidas)
Replied by Mordecai Ashfields (ambrose_leonidas) on topic how to make a boffer polearm?
I have a little bit of experience and so do my friends. we can make it, we just need to know what the best type of rod to use that give the least whip is. thank you as well for your help.

Rupert the adventurer

• Odo Garaath
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Back and Ready For More!
  • Thank Yous: 12
26 Jul 2009 21:30 #4 by Odo Garaath (Odo)
Replied by Odo Garaath (Odo) on topic how to make a boffer polearm?
Hi there. Fellow big boffer weapon maker guy here. a 3/4th pvp pipe at that length has a much less chance of whip than something skinnier.

"Praise be to Enax, and blessing to his followers."

(Tom Senger )
  • Edward Walker
  • Let me cut to the point to get to the heart of the issue.
  • Thank Yous: 15
26 Jul 2009 21:37 #5 by Edward Walker (Liam)
Replied by Edward Walker (Liam) on topic how to make a boffer polearm?
3/4 is definitely the way to go with longer weapons.  If you want to get technical, try to avoid schedule 20 PVC pipe because it is the most thin and is more likely to whip or break with longer weapons.  Schedule 40 and up are the way to go.

Doctor Edward D. Walker

OOG:
Liam Neary
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
26 Jul 2009 22:00 #6 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic how to make a boffer polearm?
Schedule 80 is much more rigid and worth the extra money.  BTW, 3/4 pipe is actually around 1.050 in diameter.  God bless the English pipe system.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • Hadrian Thane
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • The night is dark and full of terrors.
  • Thank Yous: 3
26 Jul 2009 23:00 #7 by Hadrian Thane (GBino)
Replied by Hadrian Thane (GBino) on topic how to make a boffer polearm?
FYI if you are going to make "practice" weapons to donate before you make your "final" polearm, make claws. Not only is Knight Realms trying to get away from regular boffer weapons, but there's always a shortage of claws.

/* OOG
* Rob G.
* Rules Marshal, Margrave
*/
27 Jul 2009 12:22 #8 by Mordecai Ashfields (ambrose_leonidas)
Replied by Mordecai Ashfields (ambrose_leonidas) on topic how to make a boffer polearm?
THANKS A LOT GUYS! =D that actually helps a lot and i'll check out the hardware store down my street after work 2day!

Rupert the adventurer

• brik
  • whatever
  • Thank Yous: 14
27 Jul 2009 12:29 #9 by brik (sonya)
Replied by brik (sonya) on topic how to make a boffer polearm?
hey cody.  i've been using polearms to fight for a few years now and i've found the best materials to be fiberglass core and kite tape.  fiberglass is a lot lighter than pvc which makes the weapon easier to lug around all day.  kite tape is also a LOT lighter than duck tape, which makes for a very very lightweight weapon overall.  i have never had any problems with whipping with my polearm, probably because the kite tape is so light that it isn't top heavy.

oog - sonya m.
27 Jul 2009 15:16 #10 by Mordecai Ashfields (ambrose_leonidas)
thank u nym that helps a lot. so fiberglass is the way 2 go. i'll check that n pvc out

Rupert the adventurer

Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.486 seconds