Champions Online coming 9/1

• Tiriel
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thank Yous: 1
30 Jul 2009 18:08 #1 by Tiriel (Tiriel)
Champions Online coming 9/1 was created by Tiriel (Tiriel)
Yes, I am a nerd, I will be playing City of Heroes 2... uhhh, Champions Online, this coming fall, in another vain attempt to recreate myself as the God of Thunder.

Check out the videos on the website, particularly the one for Power Armor... sigh...

Too cool for words.

T

Brother Tiriel Tellinghast
Valrkirin Urulokion, in service to Lord Blackthorne
Turin MacLeod (NPC)

Terry
  • Paige
  • Est July, 1202
30 Jul 2009 20:09 #2 by Paige (Paige)
Replied by Paige (Paige) on topic Champions Online coming 9/1
At first you were talking about Champions RTA or Norrath. Damn. lol  :)

Templar Paige N. Merlot Darkheart of the Kindred Oak

"Act not in hatred or in spite
Even if it means your life"

Heather ~OOG Human
  • Odo Garaath
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Back and Ready For More!
  • Thank Yous: 12
30 Jul 2009 23:55 #3 by Odo Garaath (Odo)
Replied by Odo Garaath (Odo) on topic Champions Online coming 9/1
Yeah, that's not City of Heroes 2. A good job at moving some bars up, but nothing revolutionary in superhero games.

"Praise be to Enax, and blessing to his followers."

(Tom Senger )
  • Tiriel
  • Banned
  • Banned
31 Jul 2009 13:36 #4 by Tiriel (Tiriel)
Replied by Tiriel (Tiriel) on topic Champions Online coming 9/1
Dude, it's City of Heroes 2, in the same way that Warhammer Online is Dark Age of Camelot 2... there is never going to be a REAL CoH2 cuz the company that made CoH (Cryptic) went with getting some name recognition with their sequel, hence Champions Online.  So I guess it's the spiritual successor.

In any case, my favorite part of CoH was creating characters and designing their costumes, and the Champions costume designer looks even more advanced than the original, so I am sure I will spend hours there trying to get my look "just right".

T

Turin MacLeod (NPC)

Terry
  • Odo Garaath
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Back and Ready For More!
  • Thank Yous: 12
31 Jul 2009 14:33 #5 by Odo Garaath (Odo)
Replied by Odo Garaath (Odo) on topic Champions Online coming 9/1

Dude, it's City of Heroes 2, in the same way that Warhammer Online is Dark Age of Camelot 2... there is never going to be a REAL CoH2 cuz the company that made CoH (Cryptic) went with getting some name recognition with their sequel, hence Champions Online.  So I guess it's the spiritual successor.

In any case, my favorite part of CoH was creating characters and designing their costumes, and the Champions costume designer looks even more advanced than the original, so I am sure I will spend hours there trying to get my look "just right".

T

Cryptic sold all future rights to Paragon Studios, which handles CoX now. Those that left to work on Champions Online and Star Trek Online were barely half of that crew. Those that got promoted were people from within and are doing a fine job at it.

Considering the game was suppose to be made for Marvel Universe Online but backed out, they scrambled to find something else (Since NCSoft owns the brand now). Champions stepped up (Because the new HERO system is coming out, and needed something to tie in with it) and bam.

CO plays, looks, and handles differently from CoX. It's like going from a Crown Victoria to a Mustang. Sure, the same people made it, but it's two different rides. DAoC and Warhammer Online isn't that far a leap based on the direction and system involved. Even some concepts from the original carry over. In CO, there isn't a thing besides an indept character creation system that links it to COH.

And yes. They did vastly improve on an already massive system (Except faces from what I heard)

"Praise be to Enax, and blessing to his followers."

(Tom Senger )
31 Jul 2009 14:40 #6 by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred)
Replied by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred) on topic Champions Online coming 9/1
I may not be an "old school" champions guy, but I have been playing it since 1990, and I do still own the big blue book that had terrible glue for the binding... my favorite part of champions was the character creation that allowed you to make all kinds of interesting powers with advantages and disadvantages... I don't see that same character creation on the site, but then again, I only looked at it for about 10 minutes... I'll probably check it out though.

-OOG Michael Smith
  • Thorgrim Ironfeld
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Half of an analysis....is anal.
  • Thank Yous: 0
31 Jul 2009 14:54 #7 by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC)
Replied by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC) on topic Champions Online coming 9/1
They aren't using the same point system structure, its really not appropriate for an MMO. BTW I played Champions from when it first came out and I still feel it had/has the most dynamic character creation of any table-top rpg I've played. Such great times...oh to be young again and not worry about paying the mortgage. The hours I'd spend on table-top...

OOG name: Mitch
Master Runesmith of Pendarvin

Don't let the grey hair fool you...wait scratch that...DO let the grey hair fool you.
_____
I make leather armor and various items for sca, larps and dagorhir. Here's my photobucket: s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/mc1csmo/
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
31 Jul 2009 18:33 #8 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Champions Online coming 9/1
Ah, Heroes 5th Edition - the rulebook that stops firearms.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • Thorgrim Ironfeld
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Half of an analysis....is anal.
31 Jul 2009 18:53 #9 by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC)
Replied by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC) on topic Champions Online coming 9/1
Sacrilege!

OOG name: Mitch
Master Runesmith of Pendarvin

Don't let the grey hair fool you...wait scratch that...DO let the grey hair fool you.
_____
I make leather armor and various items for sca, larps and dagorhir. Here's my photobucket: s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/mc1csmo/
  • Lois Heimdell
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • "All good stories are built on conflict," said the Raven to the Writing Desk.
  • Thank Yous: 1026
31 Jul 2009 19:51 #10 by Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Replied by Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell) on topic Champions Online coming 9/1

my favorite part of champions was the character creation that allowed you to make all kinds of interesting powers with advantages and disadvantages...

Explosive lying FTW.

----

----
((OOG: Cassie Stanley, Marshal Deputy))
  • JoDios
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • That guy with the muffin hat.
02 Aug 2009 12:02 #11 by JoDios (JoDios)
Replied by JoDios (JoDios) on topic Champions Online coming 9/1
I don't think we could ever get past the damn character creation in Champions.  It just took too damn long.  Just ask Dave and Mike.

OOG: Jo
  • Tiriel
  • Banned
  • Banned
02 Aug 2009 13:11 #12 by Tiriel (Tiriel)
Replied by Tiriel (Tiriel) on topic Champions Online coming 9/1
Yeah it did, but you could do practically anything... and it was super math-heavy, which made it very intimidating.

Still, I used to love the look on my GMs face when I told him I was throwing a Haymaker, and if it landed I was rolling 30 or more d6s for damage.

Good times, good times.

T

Turin MacLeod (NPC)

Terry
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
02 Aug 2009 13:25 #13 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Champions Online coming 9/1
I love table-top Champions.  Character creation took forever, but it allowed so much variety, that's what made it fun.  Fav line in the book was the quiz to dodge an Earth-sized object and how much damaged it would do if it hit.  ;D

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.575 seconds