GenCon news thus far

• Bellanear
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 13
14 Aug 2009 14:07 #1 by Bellanear (Alai)
GenCon news thus far was created by Bellanear (Alai)
So, as a diligent nerd, I have been spending work yesterday and today trolling through message boards and developer websites finding everything i can about releases this year at GenCon.  So far:

Privateer Press has released the new faction for Warmachine, the Retribution of Scyrah.  No surprises there, this has been coming for months.

Fantasy Flight Games released Rogue Trader, "Part 2" of the 40K RPG.  Again, no surprise, people following it knew it was coming this year.

Now for the two surprises so far:

Fantasy Flight Games has killed Warhammer Fantasy RolePlaying.  It is becoming a game for 4 players (which includes GM) that comes in a box with 4 books, 300 cards and 30 dice (which are d6's and d8's with symbols on them, not numbers).  In other words, it is now HeroQuest without a board.  Even the playtesters who are defending it state (as a benefit) that it gives you rules for everything, even social interactions.  Welcome to Warhammer Fantasy Roll Playing, or, for folks who remember it, the Warhammer verison of DragonLance 5th Age SAGA bullcrap.

Now for a good surprise.  WotC have announced the 2010 campaign setting.  It isn't DragonLance, which I was hoping for, but it is another beloved setting that I have always wanted to try out.

Ladies and gentlemen, Dark Sun is back.

-Bellanear Cyeos
The Alabaster Seal
Guardian of The Ivory Tower

Gavin S.
  • Thorgrim Ironfeld
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Half of an analysis....is anal.
  • Thank Yous: 0
14 Aug 2009 15:07 #2 by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC)
Replied by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC) on topic GenCon news thus far
Well, this might get me back into tabletop....now I just need to convert the mrs.

OOG name: Mitch
Master Runesmith of Pendarvin

Don't let the grey hair fool you...wait scratch that...DO let the grey hair fool you.
_____
I make leather armor and various items for sca, larps and dagorhir. Here's my photobucket: s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/mc1csmo/
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
14 Aug 2009 15:16 #3 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic GenCon news thus far
Seen anything for Shadowrun?

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • Bellanear
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 13
14 Aug 2009 15:28 #4 by Bellanear (Alai)
Replied by Bellanear (Alai) on topic GenCon news thus far
Not in the sites I've been trolling.  And I swear, one of these years I will actually go to GenCon.  Who's up for a trip to Indiana?

PS: update on the WHFRP game: costs $100.  That's $100 for a START UP cost in the middle of the worst recession in America since the Great Depression.

GG fantasy flight.

-Bellanear Cyeos
The Alabaster Seal
Guardian of The Ivory Tower

Gavin S.
  • JoDios
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • That guy with the muffin hat.
  • Thank Yous: 0
15 Aug 2009 10:27 #5 by JoDios (JoDios)
Replied by JoDios (JoDios) on topic GenCon news thus far
I was reading this over at rpg.net.  I can't say I'm quiet happy with the new Warhammer.  The 2nd edition didn't really cry out broken or anything to me.

I for one was hoping that it was not going to be Dragonlance as I have a large dislike for that setting.  I am however very happy that Dark Sun is the new setting. It is one I've always wanted to play/run.

OOG: Jo
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.459 seconds