Clothes for Goodwill, can't find a drop-off

• Erim Walker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • I love Travance. There are shirtless men EVERYWHER
  • Thank Yous: 0
19 Nov 2009 10:29 #1 by Erim Walker (shiva14b)
Clothes for Goodwill, can't find a drop-off was created by Erim Walker (shiva14b)
I've got a sack full of clothes and bags and whatnot for donation to any accepting charity... but I can't find a drop-off. The one near me turned out to be some kind of profiteer thing. Anyone know anything* near me (Bergen County), or up near Sac? Anyone here want to collect it themselves? Joe?

*the kind of place that offers whatever kind of documentation (if any) I need to deduct this on my taxes would be nice, but not necessary :-P I just want to get rid of this stuff.

"Ok we can attack... but if we miss, we'll hit the villagers."
"I'm willing to take that chance!"

Things I am no longer allowed to do in an RPG :
31. The backup trap handler is not whoever has the most HP at the time.
73. Not allowed to name my cudgel Ceremonial Whoopass Stick.
74. My thief's battle cry is not "Run And Live"

[OOG Jenna
  • Tom
  • Thank Yous: 15
19 Nov 2009 11:59 #2 by Tom (Tomatsu)
Replied by Tom (Tomatsu) on topic Clothes for Goodwill, can't find a drop-off
I'm not too positive if this will help out. But I know there are usually clothing donation boxes around Food Stores such as Shop-rite and Food Basics. Sometimes you can also find drop off boxes at Drug stores like CVS. Keep looking around, Bergen County is a very good place to find drop off boxes for clothes and such. Good luck.
-

Oog-Tom Polanski
  • brik
  • whatever
  • Thank Yous: 14
19 Nov 2009 14:40 #3 by brik (sonya)
Replied by brik (sonya) on topic Clothes for Goodwill, can't find a drop-off
do you mean like the big clothing/shoes drop-off bins you see in parking lots sometimes?  if so there's some at the gas stations around sac, if you have trouble finding one i can help give you directions if you'll be at this event.  or you can just give them to me and i'll do it, i live in the area and would be stopping at them to fill up my car anyway haha.

oog - sonya m.
  • Erim Walker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
19 Nov 2009 14:51 #4 by Erim Walker (shiva14b)
Replied by Erim Walker (shiva14b) on topic Clothes for Goodwill, can't find a drop-off

do you mean like the big clothing/shoes drop-off bins you see in parking lots sometimes?  if so there's some at the gas stations around sac, if you have trouble finding one i can help give you directions if you'll be at this event.  or you can just give them to me and i'll do it, i live in the area and would be stopping at them to fill up my car anyway haha.

I'll pass it off to you if I can't find someplace that gives those receipts Sonya. Thanks!

[OOG Jenna
  • Thorgrim Ironfeld
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Half of an analysis....is anal.
19 Nov 2009 16:09 #5 by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC)
Replied by Thorgrim Ironfeld (MitchC) on topic Clothes for Goodwill, can't find a drop-off

OOG name: Mitch
Master Runesmith of Pendarvin

Don't let the grey hair fool you...wait scratch that...DO let the grey hair fool you.
_____
I make leather armor and various items for sca, larps and dagorhir. Here's my photobucket: s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/mc1csmo/
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
19 Nov 2009 23:08 - 19 Nov 2009 23:11 #6 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Clothes for Goodwill, can't find a drop-off
Be VERY careful of the drop-off boxes.  A lot of them take the content and make profit off of them in some way, in the non-tax-friendly way.  Common tricks are to shred clothing and sell them as filler, etc., rather than giving them to people who need them.

An actual drop off point with the option for a receipt is your best bet.  Mitch's link is going to be your best bet.  I went through this myself recently (I donated two car loads of stuff - and many of you know how much space I have in my car) - make SURE you're handing it to a person, not just dumping it into a bin or on a curb.

Jenna, I'd offer to take some to my nearby drop off, but I am going to have a full car on the way home. :(

Edit: I just checked the link, there aren't any near Sparta, but there's a ton in NJ near the NY area.  Go for the Retail store if you can, rather than just a drop off point.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
Last edit: 19 Nov 2009 23:11 by .
  • Quin
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Captain Cupcake
  • Thank Yous: 15
20 Nov 2009 07:46 #7 by Quin (Quin)
Replied by Quin (Quin) on topic Clothes for Goodwill, can't find a drop-off
My mother gets her clothes picked up through Purple Heart. I don't really know if that's bad or good, but they pick it up for you which is neat.

Quin K.
It isn't enough to talk about peace, one must believe it.
    And it isn't enough to believe in it, one must work for it.

Emily (MM/RPM)
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Nov 2009 07:55 #8 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Clothes for Goodwill, can't find a drop-off
My mom does the same - good call, Emily!

www.purpleheartpickup.org/

Steward of Elvalion
  • Tyra Silverfang
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • I eat dark god babies...
20 Nov 2009 08:37 #9 by Tyra Silverfang (Pracika Nightwing)
Replied by Tyra Silverfang (Pracika Nightwing) on topic Clothes for Goodwill, can't find a drop-off
also, depending on how much the tax deduction means to you, i know a lot of churches do a church rummage sale and most of the ones i've been to are non profit. the clothing just goes to those who need it. Just a suggestion :-)

"There is a difference between a hero and a coward. A Hero wakes willing to risk death. A coward wakes wishing for it."

OOG: Adi
  • Erim Walker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
20 Nov 2009 09:19 #10 by Erim Walker (shiva14b)
Replied by Erim Walker (shiva14b) on topic Clothes for Goodwill, can't find a drop-off
Yeah, that problem with the bins is one I ran into already... like I said, there's one at the Whole Foods near me, but its gets sold for-profit in third-world countries.

I did find an actual store drop-off not far from me. I've never gone into one of those... how does it work? They go through the bag and give me a receipt for whatever is usable? That bags has been rattling around in my trunk for a month now, and the cloths are pretty wrinkled... should I iron them first? It seems silly if they're going to do it themselves anyway, but I don't want to be one of those people who just drops a bag of crap off saying "here, you less fortunates should be happy with this shouldn't you" while I go off and drink my mocha frappachino.

*note: I do not actually drink mocha frappachinos

[OOG Jenna
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Nov 2009 09:36 #11 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
I'd say just launder them first, and then drop them off.  They'll look at it all, and ask you to fill our a receipt if you want one, giving a rough estimate on what you donated.  I don't think they have the ability to launder them in the store, so it's best if you do it first.

Steward of Elvalion
  • dedrite
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • For the Emperor!
  • Thank Yous: 1
20 Nov 2009 21:53 #12 by dedrite (dedrite)
Replied by dedrite (dedrite) on topic Clothes for Goodwill, can't find a drop-off
Sorry.  I just saw this tonight.  I hope you found a suitable spot for drop off.

-Brother Knight Templar Sabatheous Tellinghast-
Knight Templar of the Order of the Brilliant Hammer
Holy Inquisitor of the Church of Kormyre

Crudelius est quam mori semper timere mortem

"Nothing is ever forgotten"

((Joe Bondi-Marketing Officer))
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.533 seconds