Where to buy open cell foam in NYC(?), and question about closed cell

• Erim Walker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • I love Travance. There are shirtless men EVERYWHER
  • Thank Yous: 0
06 Sep 2010 12:24 #1 by Erim Walker (shiva14b)
I'm going crazy... does anyone know where I can find some open cell foam (AKA mattress foam, right?) in NYC? I mean specifically, not "check a craft or fabric store"?

Also, does anyone know if using 1" closed cell foam instead of 5/8" has a big effect on arrows?

"Ok we can attack... but if we miss, we'll hit the villagers."
"I'm willing to take that chance!"

Things I am no longer allowed to do in an RPG :
31. The backup trap handler is not whoever has the most HP at the time.
73. Not allowed to name my cudgel Ceremonial Whoopass Stick.
74. My thief's battle cry is not "Run And Live"

[OOG Jenna
  • Seámus Aeislin
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Glaine ár gcroí! Neart ár ngéag! Beart de réir ár mbriathar!
  • Thank Yous: 30
06 Sep 2010 13:29 - 07 Sep 2010 02:09 #2 by Seámus Aeislin (Seámus_Aeislin)
Replied by Seámus Aeislin (Seámus_Aeislin) on topic Where to buy open cell foam in NYC(?), and question about closed cell
I personally have never used 5/8" for arrows. Me and Chris come from Amtgard, where the archery system is a lot different. We use bows up to 35 lbs. at Amtgard, so almost double the KR limit. So, our arrows obviously need to be up to snuff on that.

Essentially, what we do is use pool noodle (about 2.5 inches worth of it), taper the end we are taping to the arrow shaft. We tape a penny onto the end of the arrow and put at least two or three caps of camp pad over that. I usually duct tape the one closest to the penny, in that way I've had the same arrows for about 2 years firing off of a 32 lb. recurve bow. I'm fairly certain if you just put some open cell on that; or replaced the last two caps with a noodle board cap, they should be perfectly legal by KR standards.

As for open cell foam, only places I know you can get it is sadly craft stores like Jo-Anns or possibly Michael's (I'll check next time I go in to work and then let you know about price, as either me or Chris can get you a discount on it if that is the case). UPS and Fed-Ex stores might also have it if there are any near you; as well as reupholstery places for couches and chairs.

IG:
Main - Sir Seámus Aeislin of the Clan MacInnes

Alt - Boryev Solvei, Baro of the Solvei Kampania
#bigtomdidnuffinwrong
OOG - Shane Johnson
Monster Marshal
Last edit: 07 Sep 2010 02:09 by .
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
06 Sep 2010 17:50 #3 by geezer (geezer)
Going Crazy?

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
06 Sep 2010 18:42 #4 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Where to buy open cell foam in NYC(?), and question about closed cell
If you check around the areas between 23rd street and 38th street between Broadway and 3rd Ave, you'll find places that sell textiles and other materials.  No specific store, but the area has some bead shops, textile shops, and furniture/futon places that sell material.  Home Depot on 23rd between 6th and Broadway I think also carries foam material nowadays.  Bext places for foam, plastic, and other industrial materials like that is also Canal Street and Church Ave.

I personally have never used 5/8" for arrows. Me and Chris come from Amtgard, where the archery system is a lot different. We use bows up to 35 lbs. at Amtgard, so almost double the KR limit. So, our arrows obviously need to be up to snuff on that.

KR has it's own rules and set of standards on KR ARCHERY .  I'd leave it at that and not try to compare arrows made for Amtgard for what's passable.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • Seámus Aeislin
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Glaine ár gcroí! Neart ár ngéag! Beart de réir ár mbriathar!
  • Thank Yous: 30
07 Sep 2010 01:46 #5 by Seámus Aeislin (Seámus_Aeislin)
Replied by Seámus Aeislin (Seámus_Aeislin) on topic Where to buy open cell foam in NYC(?), and question about closed cell
All I meant by that is that since I use pool noodle (so a full inch) for arrows rather than 5/8", there is more padding to it. Almost double the amount of foam. So really all I am getting at is that they should also be legal as there is more padding on the arrow shaft. But, I won't assume and will just ask a rules marshall about that one (or wait for one to post here since I don't know who most of them are yet, being a new guy).

IG:
Main - Sir Seámus Aeislin of the Clan MacInnes

Alt - Boryev Solvei, Baro of the Solvei Kampania
#bigtomdidnuffinwrong
OOG - Shane Johnson
Monster Marshal
07 Sep 2010 02:11 #6 by Sergei Petsho (Bran MacInnes)
Replied by Sergei Petsho (Bran MacInnes) on topic Where to buy open cell foam in NYC(?), and question about closed cell
As far as finding mattress foam goes, if you mean the egg crate-style foam pads you put on top of mattresses to make them more comfortable, I'd say look at K-Mart or Walmart.  That's where I've gotten that type of open-cell before.

"What do you take me for? Some kind of big damn hero?"
Sergei Petsho, Voivode and Steward of Inovar, Owner and Masseur Extraordinaire of Magic Hands Massage.

"What, it's for my research, I swear!"
Nigel Whitworth, Gentleman Apothecary

"Here, kid, suck on this and shut up for a while."
Aengus MacAengus Hesperus, Professional Old Person

OOG: Chris Zipeto
Storyteller
  • Odo Garaath
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Back and Ready For More!
  • Thank Yous: 12
07 Sep 2010 08:42 #7 by Odo Garaath (Odo)
I would say RagShop, but alas.

Avoid craft stores like Michaels. They have NOTHING fabric related.

"Praise be to Enax, and blessing to his followers."

(Tom Senger )
07 Sep 2010 09:14 #8 by Ded Dawg O'Doul (Mohammad)
Replied by Ded Dawg O'Doul (Mohammad) on topic Where to buy open cell foam in NYC(?), and question about closed cell
Just thinking about old couch seat cushions  Open celled foam I believe and really cheap

We hold in our hands the harvest of what we have sown in Hope. Do we sow for Good? or for Evil?

Ded Dawg O'Doul

OOG = Dave Sullivan Sr; Indiana

Kanarak=VC999 Institutional Head
PC = Ded Dawg O'Doul. Inn Keeper
NPC = Huh! The Dumbest of the Ale Belly Ogres
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
07 Sep 2010 17:51 #9 by Matt D (MattD)
I actually used to go to Wal Mart into what used to be their fabric section and picked up Sofa/Couch Foam.  It's a little expensive, but it will do the trick.  Egg crate foam also works, but also can get costly depending on the type.  Plus you have the added detriment of it not being square for arrowheads.  I'm not sure what's available in your area, but you may want to look around to the textile stores in the fabric district of NYC that Paul suggested.  I know you can get some of the couch foam there.  In fact, that was where I got my first set of it for boffer weapons back in the day.  If not, i can bring a sheet or two to the next event.  It won't do you good right now, but you'll have it for later if you can hold off until then.

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Sep 2010 18:37 #10 by
the fabric district around 7th and 38th aka the fashion district most likely will not have foam. There are very very very few home fashion  stores in that area. You'd have to look further uptown in the 50s range, for that.

- Jacqui
07 Sep 2010 21:36 #11 by Sergei Petsho (Bran MacInnes)
Replied by Sergei Petsho (Bran MacInnes) on topic Where to buy open cell foam in NYC(?), and question about closed cell
As a Michaels employee, I can truthfully say that Tom has the right of it.  We don't carry fabric.  I was in a Joanne Fabric yesterday, and they do sell open cell foam by the yard, but it's a mite expensive.

"What do you take me for? Some kind of big damn hero?"
Sergei Petsho, Voivode and Steward of Inovar, Owner and Masseur Extraordinaire of Magic Hands Massage.

"What, it's for my research, I swear!"
Nigel Whitworth, Gentleman Apothecary

"Here, kid, suck on this and shut up for a while."
Aengus MacAengus Hesperus, Professional Old Person

OOG: Chris Zipeto
Storyteller
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.535 seconds