Insomnia sucks

• Belegchand
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 163
03 Nov 2010 02:59 #1 by Belegchand (mcalo)
Insomnia sucks was created by Belegchand (mcalo)
Well, I have been suffering from terrible insomnia as of late, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on ways to overcome this?  Honestly, any suggestion is appreciated at this point in time...

OOG: Matt Calo - Marshal
  • Kleidin
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 152
03 Nov 2010 06:40 #2 by Kleidin (Kleidin)
Replied by Kleidin (Kleidin) on topic Insomnia sucks
try reading Battlefield Earth

Lady Kleidin du Tenkukai Weaveforger Laurent-Belmont of Kaladonia
Master Witch Hunter, and Elder Druid
OOG: Diane Sodher
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
03 Nov 2010 07:31 #3 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic Insomnia sucks
If it is real insomnia, which is a medical condition, you should go see a doctor as it can be indicative of other problems and can really mess a person up if not treated appropriately.  If its just the occasional trouble sleeping, staring at a computer and/or tv screen right before bed can contribute to that. 

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
  • Damien
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 145
03 Nov 2010 09:07 #4 by Damien (Damien)
Replied by Damien (Damien) on topic Insomnia sucks
"Chew some Valerian root and get more exercise."  :P

. . . but yeah see a doc.

[hr]
Victor Sylus, Baron of Travance
OOG: Damien A.
  • Erim Walker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • I love Travance. There are shirtless men EVERYWHER
  • Thank Yous: 0
03 Nov 2010 10:26 #5 by Erim Walker (shiva14b)
Replied by Erim Walker (shiva14b) on topic Insomnia sucks
Tylenol PM and a shot.
*^ not sarcasm^*

"Ok we can attack... but if we miss, we'll hit the villagers."
"I'm willing to take that chance!"

Things I am no longer allowed to do in an RPG :
31. The backup trap handler is not whoever has the most HP at the time.
73. Not allowed to name my cudgel Ceremonial Whoopass Stick.
74. My thief's battle cry is not "Run And Live"

[OOG Jenna
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
03 Nov 2010 19:56 #6 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Insomnia sucks
I find reading heavy philosophy or serious history is just right.  Six pages of Emanuel Kant works.  I do not drink (given your age, neither should you), but I have found other methods, none of which I advocate for you in an open forum. 

I have also found a long, hot soaking bath to be efficacious.  I recommend a towel or bath pillow behind your head/neck.  Do not read, but bath salts are a nice touch and in my case, add to the relaxation.  No chocolate or stimulants containing caffeine for at least 6 hours before you would like to sleep.  Ditto for sugar. 

Kristen is also correct in that if this is an ongoing problem you need to consult a physician.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
03 Nov 2010 21:34 #7 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Insomnia sucks
Two additional things to help:

1) Set a schedule, and train yourself to fall asleep to that schedule.  Wake up on one, too.  I'm pretty much at the point that I fall asleep at 11:00 every night, and wake up around 6:30, even on weekends, unless something major disrupts that pattern (like an Astral Juggernaut...).

2) Exercise.  Doing even a good walk will get your body ready for some rest.  Besides, it's good for you for other reasons, too. ;)

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • Belegchand
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 163
03 Nov 2010 23:30 #8 by Belegchand (mcalo)
Replied by Belegchand (mcalo) on topic Insomnia sucks

2) Exercise.  Doing even a good walk will get your body ready for some rest.  Besides, it's good for you for other reasons, too. ;)

Thanks everybody!  I went to a doctor today and they prescribed some melatonin for me.  If it works, then, well, I should be fine... If not, then.... Well, we'll cross that bridge when that time comes...

And Geoff, the reason I quoted your post is because it made me laugh a little bit... The reason I am having this issue (or at least what we are attributing it too) is because, 5 weeks ago, I was diagnosed with severe patellar tendonitis in both knees.  The reason this is causing my problem is because I am a runner (I compete on my school's cross country, indoor and outdoor track and field teams, running the 5k, 8k, and 10k), and the only cure for tendonitis (well, the only real cure) is to rest and take anti-inflammatories until it recovers... But dropping from 60-75 miles a week to nothing for a while (finally up to 2.5 miles a day now, but it is a slow process) caused my entire system to go, well, insane... And, to add insult to injury, it hurt to walk across my very small campus for a long while...

Sorry for that rant guys... Just needed to vent a little bit... Again, thanks to everyone who offered some advice!

OOG: Matt Calo - Marshal
  • Tyra Silverfang
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • I eat dark god babies...
  • Thank Yous: 0
04 Nov 2010 06:15 #9 by Tyra Silverfang (Pracika Nightwing)
Replied by Tyra Silverfang (Pracika Nightwing) on topic Insomnia sucks
i suffer not only from clinical insomia, but a mood disorder is usually the cause of such a thing. You can get something called melatonin over the counter. It's a natural vitamin thingy that is a pill form of the "sleepy" chemical your brain naturally creates. Take 1 an hour before you plan to sleep and then just relax for that hour. I would say if that doesn't help, seriously try seeing a doctor. Hopefully it's not insomnia because insomnia sucks...

"There is a difference between a hero and a coward. A Hero wakes willing to risk death. A coward wakes wishing for it."

OOG: Adi
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.512 seconds