Monster Camp

• Capt Locke
  • Thank Yous: 10
15 May 2008 01:45 #1 by Capt Locke (Jonathon)
Monster Camp was created by Capt Locke (Jonathon)
Now sure if any of you are familiar with this documentary, but I just stumbled across the trailer and thought I'd share it with the rest of you.

www.apple.com/trailers/independent/monstercamp/trailer/

Enjoy!

Captain Alexander Locke, Dread Pirate
The Sleaziest Sleaze of the Seven Seas

OOG: Dave Morris
The Napoleon of Gypsy Genocide
  • Odo Garaath
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Back and Ready For More!
  • Thank Yous: 12
15 May 2008 09:03 #2 by Odo Garaath (Odo)
Replied by Odo Garaath (Odo) on topic Monster Camp
Saw it earlier. I like the angle to a point. There seems to be one too many sob stories in it and it comes off as a hallmark moment. I'm not saying one or two, but there seems to be enough tiny violin to play Pachebel's Canon five times over.

The movie is geared for people who are outside looking in and takes abit of semi-obscure knowledge to know what a RPG is.

"Praise be to Enax, and blessing to his followers."

(Tom Senger )
17 May 2008 19:15 #3 by Sannyiah Amarie Tempest - Na (Sannyiah Na)
Replied by Sannyiah Amarie Tempest - Na (Sannyiah Na) on topic Monster Camp
I should email this to some of my friends who don't understand what I do,but that's a really cool video.

-> Sannyiah ' Syn ' Amarie Tempest Na

Healer of Travance
Ambassador of Alisandria
Apprentice to Aiden DelDragon
Apprentice to Gregor Borowitz
OOG: Karla

And though she be but little.. she be fierce,,
  • Malin
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 0
18 May 2008 13:21 #4 by Malin (Malin)
Replied by Malin (Malin) on topic Monster Camp
While I respect the Monster Camp folks for what they are doing, I feel that they are taking the general gaming documentary concept too far. If you are interested in seeing a somewhat more tasteful rendition of the gamer documentary, that focuses more on the positive effect of gaming on people's lives, take a look into Darkon ( www.darkonthemovie.com/ ) which manages to tell the story of larping and it's effects without coming across as "campy" (no pun intended).

Monster camp unfortunately falls into the same kind of larp documentary that larps produce of themselves, trying to bring people directly into the quirky idiom that is the LARP community. Darkon, meanwhile, draws you in through the real lives of the people who play and tackles the deeper psychological elements that make LARPing such a wonderful pastime.

As to the actual cinematography, Monster Camp is clearly produced on exclusively digital cams with relatively novice camera work, which, as is clear from the reviews, makes the material "endearing" but does not convey the cinematic and epic feeling that the players get by experiencing the game.

It seems, in the end, that Monster Camp is a heart-warming story about how a group of socially side-lined people have found a community which accepts them and the social dynamic created behind the scenes at a LARP. I hope that they don't focus too much on the snarky attitudes of some of the players or the knitty gritty explanations of how the larp functions, for their sake, because their camera style combined with the oft dry rules material could very well kill the audience and only further inspire the typical trolling that LARPing already receives thanks to youTube.

[/rant]

Matt V.
"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome"
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.469 seconds