Berks Contingent Fighter Practice/Potluck Cook Out- July 11, 2015 (new house party too!)

• JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lad... Never hit if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting.... But if ye have to hit, never hit soft
  • Thank Yous: 537
19 May 2015 13:16 #1 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
As it has been asked....

The next date for Fighter Practice is 11 July- two weeks before July KR. Right now, we are looking at holding it at our new home in Auburn, PA. And it will also serve as our Open House/New House party :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Full address is 1735 Running Deer Drive, Auburn PA 17922

As the address is in a Gated Community (Lake Wynonah), we will be needing names of drivers coming so we can leave them at the gate. As it is a gated community, it means security not just police so we do need to know who is coming.

If you decide last minute, y'all are going to need to call and one of us will come get you. :)

We also have to tell Community Management about the date too.... and we want to make a good first impression with this so future events can be held at the various clubhouses and pavilions in the community.

Well Behaved children are welcome (Tori- that means you can bring Steve...* ) as are well-behaved dogs. We absolutely need to know in advance of the latter though.

notes on foods and the like:

This is a Pot Luck Cookout... We would like all attendees to contribute something, be it drink, salads, side dishes or primary ones (meats like hotdogs, brats, burgers, chicken, et al).
Pork products are alright but please let folks know it is- there is at least one person with that for an allergy coming (and yes- she's hateful of it. She misses bacon...) and for all I know, there are others who have the same problem.

If you are bringing a dish that requires an oven, let us know!! We will have space for prepping but the kitchen is not huge.

If you have a cooler to bring that can help hold the beverages, please bring. :)

Reminder- we do recycle and adult beverages are allowed. But not until after the fighting portion is done for the day or if you are done fighting. If you plan on drinking, plan on staying for a while- more on this below.

Under 21 will be identified.... Sorry guys but the laws in PA are fairly clear on who gets in trouble for it.

On the Fighting Practice and the Rules Training:

Please bring your weapons! You don't need to bring armor; this is all sparring and learning how to handle weapons you have and gain confidence in them... and learning how to use stuff you want to use some day for a future PC.
(ie: just because you can use a 1 hander does not mean you can you do a 2 hander. Or a polearm...)

We also stress on learning how skills work- the past few events we have run, extensive discussion on how certain rules worked happened and folks took understanding away with them. With the changes to the rules and errata's being put into the rules, there is going to be renewed work on making sure the changes are known and understood as best as possible. Everyone makes errors- including veteran players- when changes are not known.

Learning the changes and understanding how stuff works, is part of the reason for all this.

On overnighting:

This house has space for tents and we also have a bit more indoor space than before.

That said, we strongly recommend folks who are coming from afar make plans for staying over. We here are very hype on our friends avoiding drinking/driving and or driving home tired. All of us have had friends lost to both things... and you guys are our friends (or in Leslie's case, her KR kids.. :lol: )

Much prefer you crash out here rather than crashing on the road.

As before with all the previous events- we look forward to all who can make it and please let us know who is coming- either here, via PM or Facebook to me, Leslie or Forest and let us know what you intend on bringing.

The more we know who is coming and with what, the better we can plan for the number of attendees.

Any questions, please let me know so I can try to answer them. :)

(*: Steve, Leslie insisted I put that in there... You are still one of her favorite kids :) )

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Templar-High Priest of Brazen
Chaplain, Bloodspirits Mercenary Company

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Thalia Burdorn (abbyl), Argyle Del Dragon (AngryCelt)
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lad... Never hit if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting.... But if ye have to hit, never hit soft
12 Jun 2015 06:34 #2 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
Less than 30 days to go!!

As stated, please let us know you are coming and what you are contributing! The more we know, the better coordinated things will be.

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
25 Jun 2015 17:49 #3 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
Little over two weeks to go.

Please let us know if you are attending the practice the contribution to the potluck and who is driving. :)

I would like to have the list in to security no later than the Thursday before. Thanks!!

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
  • Lois Heimdell
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • "All good stories are built on conflict," said the Raven to the Writing Desk.
  • Thank Yous: 1026
25 Jun 2015 17:54 #4 by Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
I'll be there. Not with John, sadly - something came up for him. I'll bring drinks of varying kinds because y'all don't want to be eating my cooking ;-)

----

----
((OOG: Cassie Stanley, Marshal Deputy))
The following user(s) said Thank You: Birgitta Drexel (Birgitta), JTinney (Swordsaint), Argyle Del Dragon (AngryCelt)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
25 Jun 2015 18:24 #5 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
I'll be there! I might make a side dish if I can figure something out, but I have something in mind.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Birgitta Drexel (Birgitta), JTinney (Swordsaint), Argyle Del Dragon (AngryCelt)
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
03 Jul 2015 18:30 #6 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
Reminder….. Event is now 8 days away!!

Things are shaping up for the Fighter Practice/Potluck Cookout and the closer we get the more psyched some are getting. We have fielded a few questions about things nearby for those who cannot transport stuff with them a great distance…

Food Stores:
There are a few placed nearby enough to pick up items on the way here. The nearest three places are Giant Supermarket in the Cressonia Mall (at top of Rt 183- about 9 miles/20 minutes away), Walmart (14 miles/ 25 minutes) over by the Cabela’s and the Redner’s Market in Hamburg (28 minutes/ 16 miles)
There is a Martins Farm Market right out the gate and north a little ways on 183. The market is open 7am to 5pm and has some tasty stuff (especially if you like odd jams and sauces). There is also a Dollar General a half mile-ish north of Martin’s.

As stated on FB, while there is a large possible number of attendees… it’s highly unlikely we will hit that number (if we do, I will be supersurprised!) and no one is expected to bring for that many. Please bring a dish that can be shared by 6-10 people or something to contribute to beverages or Grilled Foods. More is always welcome….

Beverage places:

For non-adult beverages, there is the Dollar General and the food stores mentioned above. For the Adult type stuff, there is the Beer Shak near Martin’s (excellent variety of beers to include alcoholic rootbeer) and Fieldwood Winery, a whole 10 minutes/3.7 miles away.

Rules stand.... if you are drinking, you are staying. :)

Smokers:
I know quite a few of us smoke (hell, I do!)…. And there is a few among us who do not. We will have butt-cans put in specific areas for those who smoke and out of respect for those who have trouble with smoke, we ask that y’all check with the group before you light up.
That said… there is absolutely NO Smoking in the house, period.

IC conversations:
I have been asked about this…. And I do not have ANY issue with it- its stuff you’d do via FB anyway. All we are is a convenient place to do it Face to Face. There will be places for private conversations to happen if needed…

Tent Space:
In addition to the side of the house, our neighbors have graciously agreed to let us use some of their flat property for tents. Please be mindful of their space if you pitch a tent on their land- not that you guys wouldn’t but it needs to be said anyway.

We absolutely need to know who is coming no later than Thursday Evening for hassle-free entry into Lake Wynonah as the list goes to Security on Friday. Otherwise, you need to contact us via text message or FB for entry or security will need to call us so we can come get you.

Looking forward to seeing folks on the 11th!

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
03 Jul 2015 22:21 #7 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
A quick update for those driving...

If your GPS does not have you coming in to Lake Wynonah from Route 183, you are going to the wrong gate.

Just had a visitor get directed to the back gate and he was coming from Boyertown PA area.

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
  • Arkelian
  • Thank Yous: 37
09 Jul 2015 19:43 #8 by Arkelian (TheRevenantHero)
Would anyone be awesome enough to give me a ride to this event? I live roughly 20 minutes from camp Sac.

"Always follow me family's motto. The MacTiernan family motto is: Stop it!"

Arkelian MacTiernan, red dragoon who occasionally gets incredibly rage filled.

OOG: Cameron H.
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
10 Jul 2015 14:42 #9 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
For those coming who have not let us know yet,

Call before you arrive and I will let security know to let you in.

619-788-7091

Drive Safe!

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
12 Jul 2015 21:58 #10 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
The picnic/party was a great success.

27 folks on site- players, new players, observers.... and despite the warmth, much weapon practice, challenge matches and teaching occurred.

Next one is to be Labor Day Weekend... and I will post Details in the next few days.

To all who came to the event, thank you for coming and I hope you all enjoyed selves.

To those who could not attend, I hope you can make the next one!

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
The following user(s) said Thank You: Onca (Lorelai)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.578 seconds