Labor Day Fighter Practice/Picnic

• JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lad... Never hit if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting.... But if ye have to hit, never hit soft
  • Thank Yous: 537
14 Jul 2015 14:18 - 14 Jul 2015 14:20 #1 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
Labor Day Fighter Practice/Picnic was created by JTinney (Swordsaint)
SO like after discussion here on Sunday of this past event, the date for the next Practice and Potluck was figured out.

The thinking is that it being an holiday weekend, folks from a distance might have the time to come to this and there need not be a mad rush to leave late Saturday or early Sunday.

Same format as with the other events- bring a side dish, beverages (adult and or not), something main-dish or snacks. And to clarify, the event starts by 11am on Saturday and runs till folks fall over (between 2 and 3 am is norm...)

As before, those who stay over get a cooked breakfast.... Indian Frybread pancakes. (imo- light years better than bisquick ones or anything else, come to think of it... :) ) I am afraid I might need to ask for a donation towards the breakfast materials, depending on attendance.

As before, I will post reminders but if you think you can make it already, please post here.

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Templar-High Priest of Brazen
Chaplain, Bloodspirits Mercenary Company

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
Last edit: 14 Jul 2015 14:20 by JTinney (Swordsaint).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rane (Sammyelf), Onca (Lorelai), Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Thalia Burdorn (abbyl)
15 Jul 2015 10:56 #2 by Thalia Burdorn (abbyl)
Replied by Thalia Burdorn (abbyl) on topic Labor Day Fighter Practice/Picnic
As of right now, me and Matt B. are planning on coming out for it. We'll probably bring a thing of his jumbalaya. :)

Thalia Stonebar Burdorn
Consul of Kaladonia
Warden of the Phocus
Ambassador to Calasvorin
Manager, Dragon's Claw Inn;

OOG: Abby Leib
  • Onca
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 202
22 Jul 2015 11:45 #3 by Onca (Lorelai)
Replied by Onca (Lorelai) on topic Labor Day Fighter Practice/Picnic
I am certainly going to try to be there!

~ Lorelai Sihnon VonRitter
Huntress of Galladel
Head of House VonRitter of the Witch Hunter Academy

OOG:
Rachel Jump/Onca
(New Player Marshal)
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lad... Never hit if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting.... But if ye have to hit, never hit soft
08 Aug 2015 23:22 #4 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
Replied by JTinney (Swordsaint) on topic Labor Day Fighter Practice/Picnic
4 weeks to go!

As before, please let us know who is coming so I can let the gate know to let you in...

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
  • Kadin D
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 53
11 Aug 2015 15:46 #5 by Kadin D (Katie D)
Replied by Kadin D (Katie D) on topic Labor Day Fighter Practice/Picnic
Matt, Thomas, and I will be there with chili. If I bring the stuff to make a birthday cake for Thomas, could I borrow your kitchen?

Physician

Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

OOG - Katie DeFranza

New Player Marshal, Safety Marshal
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
12 Aug 2015 07:24 #6 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
Sure. As long as no one else needs it to cook anything. :)

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
22 Aug 2015 23:21 #7 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
Two weeks to the Picnic and Practice!

As mentioned before....
GPS directions NEED to take you to the Route 183 entrance- please let us know you are coming by the Thursday before so I can have name of driver given to Wynonah Security. (IPhone gps driving directions have a habit of sending folks to rear gate)

Sleep Space indoors is plenty. Its floor and couch (we just added two couches in the basement and the carpet is actually comfy too!) space.
Tent Space is plentiful.
Beverages always good as a bring- grill items are welcome too. We have a large charcoal grill...
Kitchen space is available for cooking food items as needed

As before, there is plenty of places for private conversations of an IC nature for those who need to have them.

I will hopefully have a printout of the new racial rules and updates for discussion; so many changes in the last few weeks, we *all* need to go over stuff and this is an EXCELLENT time to get the new stuff straight as we are a week before September Game.

Lots of weapons for trying to include Crossbow and Bow.... We have a new source for arrows and will be testing/comparing them to the already approved stuff to see if they match up.

So please let us know if you are coming and what you are bringing.

For those who are new to the Potluck Picnic concept, a dish that can serve 8 or more is a safe thing to bring.

As mentioned in the last Picnic description back in July, there are plenty of food stores in driving distance if needed.

Hope to see folks here on September 5th!!

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
28 Aug 2015 11:33 #8 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
Full address is 1735 Running Deer Drive, Auburn PA 17922

As the address is in a Gated Community (Lake Wynonah), we will be needing names of drivers coming so we can leave them at the gate for ease of access for folks.

If you decide last minute, y'all are going to need to call and one of us will notify security.

Well Behaved children are welcome as are well-behaved dogs. We absolutely need to know in advance of the latter though.

notes on foods and the like:

This is a Pot Luck Cookout... We would like all attendees to contribute something, be it drink, salads, side dishes or primary ones (meats like hotdogs, brats, burgers, chicken, et al).
Pork products are alright but please let folks know it is- there is at least one person with that for an allergy coming (and yes- she's hateful of it. She misses bacon...) and for all I know, there are others who have the same problem.

If you are bringing a dish that requires an oven, let us know!! We will have space for prepping but the kitchen is not huge.

If you have a cooler to bring that can help hold the beverages, please bring. :)

Reminder- we do recycle and adult beverages are allowed. But not until after the fighting portion is done for the day or if you are done fighting. If you plan on drinking, plan on staying for a while- more on this below.

Under 21 will be identified.... Sorry guys but the laws in PA are fairly clear on who gets in trouble for it.

On the Fighting Practice and the Rules Training:

Please bring your weapons! You don't need to bring armor; this is all sparring and learning how to handle weapons you have and gain confidence in them... and learning how to use stuff you want to use some day for a future PC.
(ie: just because you can use a 1 hander does not mean you can you do a 2 hander. Or a polearm...)

If you use a shield, I ask you bring it. There are folks who are learning Vanguard and actually having folks available to see how some of those skills work... would be a plus for all concerned, not just the future Vanguards :)

With all the crazy changes to the rules as of late, we are intending on going over all the racial changes and how some of our skills have morphed into something semi-new, new and "where the hell did that come from?!?" Everyone makes errors- including veteran players- when changes are not known.

Forest and I have done a lot of reading on the changes and we are fairly certain we have it figured out. Any questions, we intend on sending off to the Rules Gods to pass judgment. We are not rules marshals (there will be some in attendance to also bounce things off of) but we are the sort who want to get it right when we use stuff... and we want others to be on the same page. Learning the changes and understanding how stuff works, is part of the reason for all this.

Less hassles and such at game, ya know?

On overnighting:

This house has space for tents and we also have a bit more indoor space than before- to include TWO couches for sitting and or sleeping on. ;)

That said, we strongly recommend folks who are coming from afar make plans for staying over. We here are very hype on our friends avoiding drinking/driving and or driving home tired. All of us have had friends lost to both things... and you guys are our friends (or in Leslie's case, her KR kids.. :lol: )

Much prefer you crash out here rather than crashing on the road.

As before with all the previous events- we look forward to all who can make it and please let us know who is coming- either here, via PM or Facebook to me, Leslie or Forest and let us know what you intend on bringing.

The more we know who is coming and with what, the better we can plan for the number of attendees.

Any questions, please let me know so I can try to answer them. :)

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
  • Onca
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 202
29 Aug 2015 00:18 #9 by Onca (Lorelai)
Replied by Onca (Lorelai) on topic Labor Day Fighter Practice/Picnic
I will try to bring more of my cookies that were so well-received before.

~ Lorelai Sihnon VonRitter
Huntress of Galladel
Head of House VonRitter of the Witch Hunter Academy

OOG:
Rachel Jump/Onca
(New Player Marshal)
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
02 Sep 2015 06:46 - 02 Sep 2015 06:47 #10 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
Updates!!

If folks wish to come Friday and stay over, y'all are more than welcome to do so.

We are also having folks from OTHER Larps; As we (collectively) are also members of three other larps, some of their players are also coming. Coming for the food and sparring, coming to learn about some of the specifics of KR (some are old players who want to learn about how some things changed prior to a return...) or just to meet folks from other larps. :)

3 days to go. If you are coming, let us know. :)

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
Last edit: 02 Sep 2015 06:47 by JTinney (Swordsaint).
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
02 Sep 2015 09:03 #11 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
When GPSing in via an APPLE product, you will be directed to the rear gate. This is a no-go... :)

Entry into the community is from Route 183 (exit 19 off of Route 78)...

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
11 Sep 2015 12:33 #12 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
27 people attended this event. Of the 27, a dozen were there through Sunday afternoon and eight through Monday afternoon

I want to thank everyone for coming and thank everyone who helped keep on top of the trash, recycling and assisted with cleanup at the end. All of it was appreciated!

There are no plans for any more this year- next one is planned tentatively for April 2016.

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.569 seconds