Allergen-Free Food (for those who need it)

• Grumpy
  • May be appeased with kittens.
  • Thank Yous: 64
03 Nov 2017 02:00 #1 by Grumpy (Bookwyrm)
Allergen-Free Food (for those who need it) was created by Grumpy (Bookwyrm)
I plan on cooking a lot for events, whenever I can. I am experienced at cooking allergen-free food and knowing how to do substitutions. I will try to remember to post in advance of an event what I plan to provide, when it will be available, and where it will be located. (If I can, I will even bring emergency food to store in the refrigerator on the honor system. If so, it will be free for both IG and OOG purposes, but an IG donation would not be turned away if you find me in person!)

My mother has the worst case of celiac I have ever even heard of, and I spent my late teens and most of my twenties cooking for her. Her condition made me downright paranoid about gluten contamination, and while I do not live gluten-free myself I can guarantee that anything I say is gluten-free truly is.

That paranoia works in your favor even if you don't have celiac or a gluten-sensitivity. If you require dairy-free, vegan, etc., I can do it. I cannot guarantee that I can produce it on short notice, and I can't do everyone every event, but if you tell me then I will try.

I will use the thread below to list what I'm bringing for each event. If you have requests, please don't hesitate to ask.

Main: Grigori the grumpy healer, adopted member of the Tribe of Berk, adviser to Chief Darius Redmaw.
Alt: Dorian White, physician and alchemist for hire.
Alt: Ruy Sanchez de Castor y Ortiz, the best swordsman in all of Coast Haven!

OOC: Matthew Bowman
Science fiction and fantasy editor, longtime tabletop GM, newbie KR player.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aria (Aria), Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Mantel (sigma-j)
  • Grumpy
03 Nov 2017 02:07 #2 by Grumpy (Bookwyrm)
Replied by Grumpy (Bookwyrm) on topic Allergen-Free Food (for those who need it)
Moresca:
- Avgolemono, a traditional Greek chicken-and-rice soup that is flavored with lemon and thickened with egg. Gluten-free.
- My signature "cover the bases" allergen-free casserole: Vegetarian, gluten-free, and dairy-free. It uses a non-dairy "cheese," coconut oil instead of butter, and coconut milk instead of cow milk.

Future events: I will be at the November and December events. Food TBD. Please feel free to make requests. If the weather isn't too bad, I may bring a camping grill and set up outside the Inn during lunch on Saturday in November.

Main: Grigori the grumpy healer, adopted member of the Tribe of Berk, adviser to Chief Darius Redmaw.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ephrem (bamore62)
  • Ephrem
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Lux et lex, fiat iustitia.
  • Thank Yous: 364
03 Nov 2017 10:25 #3 by Ephrem (bamore62)
Replied by Ephrem (bamore62) on topic Allergen-Free Food (for those who need it)
During Lent there are some Orthodox Christians and (voluntarily) some Catholics and other Christians who abstain from eating any food coming from animals. Maybe for the March and April events a "vegan" option can be considered - although most feasts I remember do have a vegetarian option.

Father Ephrem
Primus of the Church of Light in Travance
the Heart of Valos

OOG: Bryan Amore
  • Grumpy
03 Nov 2017 19:30 #4 by Grumpy (Bookwyrm)
Replied by Grumpy (Bookwyrm) on topic Allergen-Free Food (for those who need it)
UPDATE. I won't be making it to Moresca after all. We have a family emergency and so won't be able to make it up there this year.

I may bring the casserole next time.

Also, Bryan, that's a very good idea. Same thing for Orthodox/Eastern Rite Catholics during Advent, which is longer.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Mantel (sigma-j), Ephrem (bamore62)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.505 seconds