Regarding Kormyre

• Aleister
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 1504
26 Oct 2018 13:56 #1 by Aleister (Aleister)
Regarding Kormyre was created by Aleister (Aleister)
Subjects of Travance,

I've finally been given liberty to write to you, and have the strength to do so from my ill condition.

Some nights ago Travance was beset up by a warband of orcs. These orcs were organized, trained, and reasonably, attacking in an unusual manner. I write this day to tell you that this attack may not have been as random as it appeared. First, there is some history that I need to share with you.

Some months ago, an elite mercenary band was out kidnapping members of Travance in the dead of night. The leader of this company was an Ex-Knight of Arkovnia. After we had captured him and his crew, we interrogated them, where we learned of his discharge from station and why, as well as the claim that he was working for a high noble within Kormyre, we cut a deal with him. I promised that I would do all that I could to reinstate his knighthood if he chose to help us. To this date, he has been paramount to our investigation.

From his information, heroes within town offered to play kidnapped and be delivered to the buyer so we could collect the proof against the source of this crime. The buyer was captured and is currently under the watch of the Magistrate’s office for interrogation, for which information is still being extracted. These are criminals of nefarious works and do not let information out easily. At that point, we could only wait to act.

Now, just this past feast, an orc warboss was captured and interrogated. It was learned that he and several other warbands were paid to attack. According to this orc, he had been paid a hefty sum, asking us, “Do you not know about the rebellion?” Before we could collect more information, he swallowed a hollow tooth filled with poison. In my attempt to stop him, an illusion around him dispelled, revealing he was not an orc, but human.

I do not have the proof that this high noble is planning something sinister, but I do believe that he is, and I write this to warn everyone to be careful and aware. The enemy may not be attacking from outside, but rather, from within.

Stay vigilant, Travance.

Lord Admiral Aleister Demirosz, the Phoenix

-Steve Oros
Assistant Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nicoletta (fyperia), JTinney (Swordsaint), Narcis (ChrisR), Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Arradir Go-Dringol (DaPhysicist), Mantel (sigma-j), Ephrem (bamore62), Sir Reno Linsaria (HeartofGold)
  • Byron Qua
  • My word is my bond.
  • Thank Yous: 70
26 Oct 2018 16:19 #2 by Byron Qua (byronqua)
Replied by Byron Qua (byronqua) on topic Regarding Kormyre
Where does Travance stand in this "rebellion"?
Are we honor bound to either side?

Jericho Hǔ lì (Byron)
"Treat your men as you would your own beloved sons. And they will follow you into the deepest valley."

Squire to Sir Odette D. Lucatiel
Private in the Kormyrian Army
26 Oct 2018 19:32 #3 by O. Nesterin (kuemanner)
Replied by O. Nesterin (kuemanner) on topic Regarding Kormyre
Alisandria heeds your words. I will work within Caer Bridag to root out any potential spies/moles and work my way out toward the proper. Is there anything you need of Alisandria in this endeavor Lord Tartaros?

Ser Oacenth Nesterin
Knight Advisor of Alisandria
Dragoon of House Melebrine

OOG: Nick Culberson
Player Rep
  • Grimkjell Eirson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "You! Small man! Hold my furs while I kill this."
  • Thank Yous: 500
27 Oct 2018 03:22 #4 by Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings)
Replied by Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings) on topic Regarding Kormyre
Jericho, we had been made aware some time ago that with the king dead several factions were likely soon to be jockeying for the throne. We haven't bound ourselves one way or another to any one cause or candidate, though we are of course loyal to Kormyre as a whole, and count Winterdark has been acting as a caretaker of sorts as we attempt to sort out who has the best and most worthy claim to the throne.

I can say that after the many disasters that have befallen our world since Xualla through the Null and leading into Necrophitus that Travance has emerged as something of a bulwark of strength and that we may collectively have an important role to play in the selection of the new Monarch.

I would not presume to speak on this matter further, as it would be above my station as a simple knight of Pendarvin, but I do hope I have given you some degree of context on the matter. I would imagine a chroniclerite or other smarter sort would give you a more informative explanation but I hope mine will suffice in the meantime.

IG: Sir Grimkjell Eirson
Knight of Pendarvin
Guardian of Mercy

OOG: William Hannings
Land system Marshal
  • Zathir
  • He's Zahir, I'm Zathir, our sister Ze'Everywhere, she gets around.
  • Thank Yous: 42
27 Oct 2018 12:10 #5 by Zathir (Clevatus)
Replied by Zathir (Clevatus) on topic Regarding Kormyre
Lord Tartaros,

My Lord, have you reccomendation on how we best prepare, individually and in our lands?
I am at your service for anything you may need before and during these upcoming moons.

-Zathir

Zathir Ib'n Hatim Al Nawar

-Vassal of Drega'Mire

(OOG-Nathaniel Galloway)
  • Django
  • Thank Yous: 47
27 Oct 2018 18:27 #6 by Django (Topgunwov)
Replied by Django (Topgunwov) on topic Regarding Kormyre
With the loss of the King, as Grim previously described, Kormyre is experiencing a vacuum of power in it's highest echelons. I would highly recommend any and all Kormyrians and Travancians stay ever vigilant.

I had previously mentioned on this board that I am looking for any and all actively-used variations on the Kormyrian flag. This has not changed, and I believe the two issues to be related. I have reason to believe this rebel cell may be using such a flag as their banner, a militaristic and altered take on the Kingdom's pride. If any of you see anything similar to what I am describing I ask that you bring any relevant information to myself.

Additionally, the spy which poisoned himself had upon his armor a unique sigil, I removed it to better know our foe, however I am not currently in possession of it. Lord Aleister would know who to contact about such a thing. Furthermore, if any goblin or orc troops are encountered, particularly those in heavy or well kept military uniform or armor, I would ask that their sigils be recovered, if they have them, and brought to one of us to be examined.

Remain Watchful,

DJANGO

Commodore Django, the Sunseeker
Kormyrian Navy, Captain of the K.S.S. Ironscale
Rooster of the Winged Victory
Vassal to Kaladonia

OOG: Evan Wovsaniker
27 Oct 2018 21:55 #7 by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933)
Replied by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933) on topic Regarding Kormyre
Laird Tartaros,

I meself am probably going to succeed e Da when he passes on as Chieftain. Being as I ha' connections ta foreign leadership, should I go home fra a bit, so as to nae upset th' apple cart? I know most wouldna like foreigners interferin' in internal affairs.

Donald MacFhionnlaigh
OOG: Sean Farquharson "Jarhead"
  • Liz
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 173
27 Oct 2018 22:32 #8 by Liz (Liz)
Replied by Liz (Liz) on topic Regarding Kormyre
Lord Tartaros,

Is there reason to believe that this adversary (be it this "Duke" or not) will continue to attack us and if so, is there anything beyond regular patrols and such that the Guard can commence doing to prepare for such?

If we have to intervene in Kormyre itself (which the Count hinted at when he first made the announcement of the King's death), how would you suggest (as Lord Admiral) we best do so?

-Lt. Allyce

Allyce
Lieutenant of the Baronial Guard

Mae Fang Zhang
Healer of Khitan
"Go with honor and your ancestors shall guide you."

Allyce
Lt. of the Baronial Guard
"Well... who likes a dull life? There's work to do."

OOG: Liz Reese

Marshal
Land Staff
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
28 Oct 2018 00:16 - 28 Oct 2018 00:17 #9 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic Regarding Kormyre
As we were founded by Kormyre, we stand with Kormyre. Standing with an insurrection is tantamount to treason.

~Sgt. Nalick DeMarche

Last edit: 28 Oct 2018 00:17 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche).
  • Liz
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
28 Oct 2018 00:40 #10 by Liz (Liz)
That wasn't the question. I meant would we stop ALL violence or just take sides. And if so, seeing as most of our fights have to do with protecting our lands or saving the world, what tactics would be best used in a place not our own.

Allyce

Mae Fang Zhang
Healer of Khitan

Allyce

Marshal
Land Staff
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ashley-Lynn Chrzaszcz (RavynAeronwen)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
28 Oct 2018 03:19 #11 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
I answered Jericho's question. Since you directed yours to Lord Tartaros, I chose not to intervene.

~Nalick

• Liz
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
28 Oct 2018 05:31 #12 by Liz (Liz)
I see- My apologies. Sir Grim had replied to Jericho, therefore I believed you were referring to myself. I just honestly want to make sure whatever is done is done correctly and efficiently. Travance has its own enemies that would likely be paying close attention to any action we take- not least other factions in Kormyre.

Allyce

Mae Fang Zhang
Healer of Khitan

Allyce

Marshal
Land Staff
  • Byron Qua
  • My word is my bond.
28 Oct 2018 11:25 - 28 Oct 2018 12:44 #13 by Byron Qua (byronqua)
I believe it would be a regrettable decision for us to leave Travance unguarded while we move to quell an insurrection. It would be a good move to gather the lands and form a war council.
Discussions of provisions, man power, and tactics must be held.
If it is a seige, food stores must be bolstered and water sources protected.

Jericho Hǔ lì (Byron)
"Treat your men as you would your own beloved sons. And they will follow you into the deepest valley."

Last edit: 28 Oct 2018 12:44 by Byron Qua (byronqua).
  • Django
28 Oct 2018 14:53 #14 by Django (Topgunwov)
While I am pleased to see many of us preparing for the worst with respect to an all-out war with this rebel faction, I believe more can be done before we even begin to Assume that this will all end in warfare. Subtlety, Scouting, Espionage, and cleverness may just win us the day here. Information may be our greatest weapon here. What ideas have we in determining where our enemy is stationed? Do they have a base of operations within Kormyre's borders? Do they have the aid of outside influences? What are their tactics/strategems for fighting not only the armies of Kormyre, but of Travance as well? Finally, one question has been plaguing me this past week: Why send the spy to Travance? Unless they had a reason to be there, The spy was risking everything coming to our lands, especially when they could've just as easily sent an actual orc commander without risk of information leaking. He was compromised, and now not only do we know potentially one of his benefactors, but that the rebellion exists at all. Why take the risk to alert one of Kormyre's most powerful military forces of such goings-ons, namely us Travancians? Either whatever they came into town for was worth potentially losing their spy, OR They wanted us to know this information, either to goad us into warfare knowing full well they have some unknown advantage, or to lead us into a trap.

I would advise we take caution before we rush to prepare for warfare when we do not truly grasp the situation we find ourselves in presently.

With All Due Respect,

DJANGO

Vassal to Kaladonia

• Byron Qua
  • My word is my bond.
28 Oct 2018 15:44 #15 by Byron Qua (byronqua)
As you mentioned travance is a force not to be trifled with. We may just be the first target in their conquest.
I agree further intelligence is needed, but it does not hurt to be prepared.

Jericho Hǔ lì (Byron)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Django (Topgunwov)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
28 Oct 2018 18:08 - 28 Oct 2018 18:27 #16 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Allyce,

It was my fault for not addressing my comment at anyone in particular and a flawed assumption--as most are.

Jericho and Django,

We are all agreed on the need for prudence, gentlemen, except that spy. Of course, is it not in the very nature of their business to be risky? No one is guaranteed success even with years of experience.

~Nalick

Last edit: 28 Oct 2018 18:27 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche).
  • Django
28 Oct 2018 19:26 #17 by Django (Topgunwov)
Jericho and Nalick,

I agree that War with this rebellious force may become unavoidable, and to that effect yes we should prepare our defenses and troops, etc.

And while I agree that, yes, a spy's work by it's very nature is fraught with danger and risk, Imagine for a moment that, instead of this spy, they had sent an actual orc commander. They would've accomplished exactly what they did that night, attacked us, had a (relatively) talented military commander on the field, with the added bonus of none of their secrets being spilled if they lost and us remaining unaware of the powers at play. We would have had no reason to believe that there were any sinister forces at play; just a simple, if well-armed, squadron of orcs and goblins assaulting our proper, not an unusual occurrence in our lands.

Instead they made the choice to send a Spy DISGUISED as an Orc Commander.

I ask you: Why? Why make this choice? What was this force trying to accomplish?

If they were merely testing our defenses or our military might, a Non-Spy would have sufficed. Instead now we can take action against them and know things about who hired these mercenary forces to begin with. The Rebel force has now been given a huge disadvantage, as we now know they are coming. And all because of the decision to send a Spy where a Warrior Captain would have been more appropriate. So unless there was something specific in the Proper they were after, something that only a well-trained spy could have gotten to, or if they wanted us to know of their existence for some inane reason, it makes no sense. Either A. we are missing some vital clue or information, or B. we are playing right into their hands.

Tread Carefully,

DJANGO

Vassal to Kaladonia

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j), Ergos (arieslink)
  • Ephrem
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Lux et lex, fiat iustitia.
  • Thank Yous: 364
28 Oct 2018 20:05 #18 by Ephrem (bamore62)
Replied by Ephrem (bamore62) on topic Regarding Kormyre
If there is a person who seeks the royal throne of Kormyre, then they would go through legal and just means in order to pursue a claim. Only one who has a tenuous or false claim would feel the need to take the throne by force - or someone who seeks to take the throne by force with no legal claim whatsoever.
But Django brings up very pertinent questions as to why this claimant is using these particular means. I agree that things do not "add up." Beside the possibilities that "we are missing some vital clue or information" (a reasonable hypothesis), or that "we are playing into their hands" (also a possibility), there might also be a corollary to the latter in that the information we have is, in fact, misinformation, or (a less likely possibility) that those in question are highly incompetent.
Either way, we should seek out more information ourselves before things might come upon us at the next Baronial Feast.
There is a possibility that some in the Church of Kormyre may have made observations regarding these events. I can ask the Pontiff and the Cardinals if they have heard news from the lower clergy in Kormyre.

Father Ephrem
Primus of the Church of Light in Travance
the Heart of Valos

OOG: Bryan Amore
  • Byron Qua
  • My word is my bond.
28 Oct 2018 20:19 #19 by Byron Qua (byronqua)
Django,
There is much to speculate on. The greater picture escapes me as well.
The orcs themselves could be trying dupe us into believing a kormyrion uprising is at hand by sending us a man disguised as an orc to play spy.
The air is heavy with a nefarious stench.
Either scenario, my sword is honor bound to protect the people of this land.
I will do all I can.

Jericho Hǔ lì (Byron)

• Seth
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 163
29 Oct 2018 00:16 - 29 Oct 2018 00:31 #20 by Seth (Kurteth)
Replied by Seth (Kurteth) on topic Regarding Kormyre
The reason this isn't adding up is because you're assuming the Duke is the one behind this.

The Duke is a puppet being strung along like all of us by a force that wants to take the crown.

The "orc" spies served two purposes: If they won, we would be engaged with New Gaaldaron as a distraction. Now that they've failed, we are directing our attention at this Duke and his rebellion in Arkovnia.

He is one of the last dukes remaining, and signs point to him not being risen to power by normal means. Because he wasn't. He has someone very high up who has been pulling the strings. Someone who has known about the death of the king before even we did. Perhaps, unbeknownst to even the count, the cause of his death. Someone who has been playing this game since before some of us were born. Someone who has thought of every tactic and outcome and is using our strength as not only a diversion but a power move.

Mark my words: there will be a civil war in Kormyre.

No matter which side is the victor, he will be in line for the throne.

Or so he thinks.

Seth

[hr]

OOG:Ben Carlson
Last edit: 29 Oct 2018 00:31 by Seth (Kurteth).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
  • brik
  • whatever
  • Thank Yous: 14
29 Oct 2018 13:04 #21 by brik (sonya)
Replied by brik (sonya) on topic Regarding Kormyre
I don’t consider myself to be well-informed on the current political landscape of Kormyre, or what is happening to the kingdom on a larger scale, but I feel it’s unlikely the goal of the attack was to trick us into conflict with New Gaaldron. The goblinoids in the invading force were wearing uniforms completely unlike something you would see from either empire—something more like a mercenary company. Not anything immediately recognizable, at least to me. If the point was to make us think New Gaaldron was the aggressor here, having them dress the part seems like a detail they’d want to get right. Again, not an expert, I just happened to be there and took the time to examine what the corpses were wearing.

---Brik B.

oog - sonya m.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Liz (Liz), Mantel (sigma-j), Byron Qua (byronqua)
  • Django
29 Oct 2018 16:37 #22 by Django (Topgunwov)
Brik, a fair point, and one that requires further investigation. I'd say our next step on that path is to identify the company in question. It could lead to future answers.

Seth, Is there any way to confirm your suspicions? Proof or evidence? I am not doubting your claim, quite the contrary I find it has merit in its explanation. However, if there is something to what you claim, I would see us pursue this line of thinking. Obviously our enemy in this scenario is a master strategist to keep up this charade for so long, but what can we do to stop them? To discover their identity, or to find something they overlooked. If we are losing this game of chess, knowing that we are even playing is only the first half, now I say we must take steps to attempt to achieve victory.

Any thoughts?

DJANGO

Vassal to Kaladonia

29 Oct 2018 16:49 #23 by Winks Sharpthorn (Winks)
Replied by Winks Sharpthorn (Winks) on topic Regarding Kormyre
Although I wasn't there for the incident in question, I will back up Brik's assessment. Despite the tenuous peace we arranged with Gaaldron and New Gaaldron early this year, it would not take much to incite war between us and them. We have been at war with them for longer than almost anyone can remember. This is assuredly something different, and Seth may very well be correct in his assumptions.

I have unfortunately not been around much the last few months, tending to my duties in Oringard. With these new developments, rest assured that will change. I intend to open my own investigations, and would very much like your assistance, Django.

In Service to Travance
Ser Winks Sharpthorn, The Resolute
Knight of Drega'Mire
Soul-Blade of Galladel

Alt: William Sterling
Chief Mechanic of the Kormyrian Sky Flotilla
Lead Engineer of the Travancian Railroad

OOG: Walter Soto
Marshal
Cannon Marshal
  • Django
29 Oct 2018 16:58 #24 by Django (Topgunwov)
Winks,

You shall have it.

Simply tell me what must be done and I shall do what I can.

DJANGO

Vassal to Kaladonia

• Aleister
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 1504
29 Oct 2018 21:21 #25 by Aleister (Aleister)
Replied by Aleister (Aleister) on topic Regarding Kormyre
As of this moment, we do not have any empirical evidence to support any claim as to who is behind anything. We are acting solely based on the assertions of brigands, one of whom remains in custody at this moment being interrogated. If he provides information, we may have something more substantial. Though for now, our hands are tied as to what direction we have to go on.

In regards to question of where our banners reside in terms of loyalty. Our loyalty should be to the Crown of Kormyre and to uphold what is Just, whether it be the standing regime or (be it found to be on grounds of rooting out a previously unknown corruption) a rebellion. Our duty is to the prosperity of Kormyre for all its subjects. However, in this moment, any rebellion that may rely on the tactics of employed goblinoid forces does not seem to be Just in their actions to me.

And to address you specifically, Donald, alliances forged the strongest are those done so in times of strife. I would not dare turn anyone away, domestic or foreign, who wishes to aid a kingdom aside from their own. Everyone has a stake in the future of Kormyre; all kingdoms and peoples of Palmydia.

I would turn away no offer of service in this endeavor. If it is sound of mind and can be carried out, we should do so diligently and I will see how I can help allocate resources to make it so.

For now, we can only wait until the next move is made by our enemy and be prepared to counter.

Lord Admiral Aleister Demirosz, the Phoenix

-Steve Oros
Assistant Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j), Django (Topgunwov)
  • Dennis Brand
  • Treason or revolution? That depends on the victor.
  • Thank Yous: 72
29 Oct 2018 23:42 - 29 Oct 2018 23:45 #26 by Dennis Brand (Devin)
Replied by Dennis Brand (Devin) on topic Regarding Kormyre
One of the finer points of statecraft is discretion.
And while the dissemination of knowledge is paramount in countering a deceptive foe, I urge caution with one whom is known to employ spies. These "orcs" are just one part in a greater war machine. Every word written here may very well make it back to enemy eyes. That being said...

Django, Winks, and anyone else who wishes to investigate, please contact me at your earliest convenience.

- Dennis

ig: Dennis Brand | oog: Devin G., marshal
Last edit: 29 Oct 2018 23:45 by Dennis Brand (Devin). Reason: Making post more inclusive
  • Django
30 Oct 2018 00:19 #27 by Django (Topgunwov)
Dennis,

I agree. The less said here from here on may be for the better.

Let me know how I can help.

DJANGO

Vassal to Kaladonia

The following user(s) said Thank You: Arradir Go-Dringol (DaPhysicist)
30 Oct 2018 10:08 #28 by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933)
Replied by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933) on topic Regarding Kormyre
Let me know when someone needs protected, or kickings need administered.

-Father Donald MacFhionnlaigh

Donald MacFhionnlaigh
OOG: Sean Farquharson "Jarhead"
  • Tom P
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 124
30 Oct 2018 11:46 #29 by Tom P (Father Ridigan)
Replied by Tom P (Father Ridigan) on topic Regarding Kormyre
I'll send some feelers out

-Robert Morgan

Tom P

Father Ridigan

Robert "Dirge" Morgan
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
30 Oct 2018 16:09 #30 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Is that Dirge for pointing fingers at people and them saying "Look, mate, I know what those things do but no, I haven't a clue about orc spies or otherwise"?

--Chet

Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.730 seconds