Celt/Highland Clans and The Black Watch

• JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lad... Never hit if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting.... But if ye have to hit, never hit soft
  • Thank Yous: 537
10 Dec 2016 13:48 #1 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
Celt/Highland Clans and The Black Watch was created by JTinney (Swordsaint)
For those looking to come in as part of a clan, there are several groups already here in Travance to get with (McInnes, McKraegor, MacKenzie to name three) and a list of surviving Highland Clans from the Daemon War versus Xualla.

Those interested in one of the Survivor Clans, please contact me for a list. Alternately, send me a Clan Name and I can give you its status as of the last revision (2014) along with its current politics (if any).

For those coming in Black Watch Tartans.... There is a Black Watch entity in the Highlands and they too have a bit of history as well as a piece of Garb requirement (besides the Kilt) if you wish to be part of one of their Companies. Please contact me for particulars.

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Templar-High Priest of Brazen
Chaplain, Bloodspirits Mercenary Company

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j)
20 Aug 2017 20:04 #2 by Ashley-Lynn Chrzaszcz (RavynAeronwen)
Replied by Ashley-Lynn Chrzaszcz (RavynAeronwen) on topic Celt/Highland Clans and The Black Watch
Hello,
I am a new Celt. How would I go about becoming part of a clan? How do I find other Celts?
I am a new dragoon.

Main: Ravyn Aeronwen, Constable of Albriar, Vassal of Albriar, Knight Commander of the Order of the Sagewardens, Commander of the Sagewood Guard, and Professor of Bardics at Darkwood Academy
Alt: Vespertine Crimson, Owner of the Crimson Tide and Entertainer for the Blackbird

OOG: Ashley-Lynn Chrzaszcz
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lad... Never hit if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting.... But if ye have to hit, never hit soft
22 Aug 2017 11:42 #3 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
Replied by JTinney (Swordsaint) on topic Celt/Highland Clans and The Black Watch
General for Public Knowledge, Becoming part of a clan is as easy as selecting a tartan and the name of the Clan associated with said tartan.

While there are more than a few already in game (McGregor, MacKenzie to name two), coming in with a clan of your own selection is fine. THe Highlands is a fairly large location to be from.

Finding other Celts.... while at game is easy- all of us wear Kilts (its part of the RP requirement) unless someone is in deep cover and chooses to wear "leg prisons".

I will send you some info via PM- its info on surviving clans post Xualla war (updated two years ago) and their political stance if any.

As for coming in as a dragoon, Asking around looking for Elder Dragoons works- though if you are coming from the Highlands, there are a few who you may know of already. I'll toss that info to you in PM.

Welcome to the Game, Lass...

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jon (JBONE34)
  • Jon
  • Thank Yous: 15
02 Sep 2017 02:05 #4 by Jon (JBONE34)
Replied by Jon (JBONE34) on topic Celt/Highland Clans and The Black Watch
I'm planning on playing a Celtic Bard from the Highlands who, along with several non-Celt friends started a Mercenary Guild (we haven't decided on a name in life). He did this because, while he loves his home in the Highlands and his clan, he has always wanted to see and do more. He views himself as a collector of life experience. The colors of my kilt are green and navy if that helps to find me a clan.

Charlie Feirnie
Singer by passion, mercenary by trade

(OOG Jonathan Evan Stern)
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
02 Sep 2017 06:30 #5 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
Replied by JTinney (Swordsaint) on topic Celt/Highland Clans and The Black Watch

Jon wrote: I'm planning on playing a Celtic Bard from the Highlands who, along with several non-Celt friends started a Mercenary Guild (we haven't decided on a name in life). He did this because, while he loves his home in the Highlands and his clan, he has always wanted to see and do more. He views himself as a collector of life experience. The colors of my kilt are green and navy if that helps to find me a clan.

Merc Company eh? Sounds good...

Knowing the tartan you are using, there are many on-line resources to look up what Clan has that tartan. For this, Google is a tried and true friend. :)

Dunbar, Grant and the Black Watch (variant of Campbell which is REALLY close) are three to look at to see if they match what you have. Hopefully I see you next event!

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j), Jon (JBONE34)
  • Jon
  • Thank Yous: 15
02 Sep 2017 09:12 - 02 Sep 2017 15:28 #6 by Jon (JBONE34)
Replied by Jon (JBONE34) on topic Celt/Highland Clans and The Black Watch
That helps a lot, thank you. The Black Watch tartan looks the most like my own. Campbell itself also has a very similar tartan. Could you send me a list of the surviving clans?

Charlie Feirnie
Singer by passion, mercenary by trade

(OOG Jonathan Evan Stern)
Last edit: 02 Sep 2017 15:28 by Jon (JBONE34).
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
02 Sep 2017 22:29 #7 by JTinney (Swordsaint)

Jon wrote: That helps a lot, thank you. The Black Watch tartan looks the most like my own. Campbell itself also has a very similar tartan. Could you send me a list of the surviving clans?

Certainly.

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
  • Arfa
  • Thank Yous: 0
04 Dec 2017 01:23 #8 by Arfa (Arfa)
Replied by Arfa (Arfa) on topic Celt/Highland Clans and The Black Watch
Yes, wearing kilts on the game ground is comfortable and make easy to play with. I am totally agree
Kilts from sport kilt are the best.

(Real Name goes here!)
04 Dec 2017 13:24 #9 by SlightlySaneBillliamm (SlightlySaneBillliamm)
Replied by SlightlySaneBillliamm (SlightlySaneBillliamm) on topic Celt/Highland Clans and The Black Watch
McKraegar clan does not have a unifying tartan they have many different minor clans swearing Allegiance so no unifying tartan. We are more Irish in nature then the traditional Scottish take.

"Slightly Sane Billliamm"

ooc: gene stern
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j)
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
04 Dec 2017 14:45 #10 by JTinney (Swordsaint)

SlightlySaneBillliamm wrote: McKraegar clan does not have a unifying tartan they have many different minor clans swearing Allegiance so no unifying tartan. We are more Irish in nature then the traditional Scottish take.

Thanks for that info, Gene. I dinnae want to speak on specific for y'all.

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
  • zoya
  • Thank Yous: 0
21 Dec 2017 06:23 #11 by zoya (zoya)
Replied by zoya (zoya) on topic Celt/Highland Clans and The Black Watch
Yeah ypu are right.
Wearing kilts on the games is comfortable
Did you try fashion kiltfashion kilt sports kilts?

Zoya
21 Dec 2017 16:30 #12 by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933)
Replied by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933) on topic Celt/Highland Clans and The Black Watch
another option is Stilwater kilts, listed in the links. they have piper's plaids, which are great for those who wear chain or full armors, and one of their basic kilts is around 30 bucks, but beware they have no beltloops.

Donald MacFhionnlaigh
OOG: Sean Farquharson "Jarhead"
13 Jun 2018 03:39 #13 by Caoimhe(Keeva) (tori.pringle62)
Replied by Caoimhe(Keeva) (tori.pringle62) on topic Celt/Highland Clans and The Black Watch
Hello, I have come in recently as a celt/hibernian, and want my clan to not have any current in-game ties. What clan names are currently in game? Additionally, are the tartans associated with each clan the actual official tartans? If so, these are generally much more expensive to get a hold of in terms of fabric. Can my character wear tartan unassociated with a clan? It works in game because she currently is not associated with her clan.

Caoimhe Clanless
Tori Pringle

IG: Caoimhe (Keeva)
OOG: Tori Pringle
13 Jun 2018 08:59 - 13 Jun 2018 09:06 #14 by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933)
Replied by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933) on topic Celt/Highland Clans and The Black Watch
In game clans: MacInnes, MacKraegar, Farquharson (Via the MacFhionnlaighs), MacKenzie, Del'Dragon and McCoy are the ones I know. Being Clanless can be a detriment as most Hibernians who grew up in the highlands are going to associate being clanless with being a "Broken Man"- the equivalent in their culture to being an outlaw.

Some tartans are inexpensive due to being prolific (There is ONE place to get my clan tartan in the US) others are a bit more scarce. there are universal tartans that most any can wear and there are clan ones (Purely Irish tartans are done by county, and not by clan in the case with the Scots-Irish). for the MacFhionnlaighs, I use the USMC tartan, as I'm a Retired Marine. look on sportkilt, stilwater kilts and a few others and there should be options

Donald MacFhionnlaigh
OOG: Sean Farquharson "Jarhead"
Last edit: 13 Jun 2018 09:06 by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Caoimhe(Keeva) (tori.pringle62)
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
17 Jun 2018 16:34 #15 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
Sean hit nail rather well on the in-game clans.

MacIntosh he missed on the list (that player hasn't been back in some time but its still an ingame name) but I do not believe there is many others.

Black Watch is another to avoid- there is info on it as an organization floating around ( I've got it that as I brought it into game five years ago :) ) So if you wish to go THAT route, I can help you out a bit as well as a bit of info on some clans that survived the events of Xualla and the various fracturing up there (that document is being worked on)

Sport Kilt is likely your best bet for the base kilt; accouterments like sporran and hip pouches will add but that's a given.

Welcome into the Game and see you when you are seen.

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
  • JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
17 Jun 2018 16:41 - 17 Jun 2018 16:42 #16 by JTinney (Swordsaint)

Tori (tori.pringle62) wrote: Hello, I have come in recently as a celt/hibernian, and want my clan to not have any current in-game ties. What clan names are currently in game? Additionally, are the tartans associated with each clan the actual official tartans? If so, these are generally much more expensive to get a hold of in terms of fabric. Can my character wear tartan unassociated with a clan? It works in game because she currently is not associated with her clan.

Caoimhe Clanless
Tori Pringle

Additional info based on you questions.

Black Kilts are usually associated with the Clanless or those not wishing their Clan to be known. Or even Mercenaries.
Black Watch tartan is used by members of the Black Watch of the Highlands and can be worn in lieu of your Clan Tartan but usually you are a member of that organization.

I happen to wear a Black and Red Verillas hybrid kilt; its colors are those of the Merc Group I belong to.... and my Black Watch to formal or major social events like Moresca Ball (yearly masked ball) or to the Out of Character Awards Banquet held in January. I eventually will get a clan tartan but its a long term plan, for reasons.

Not a lot is written down but there are plans to make quite a bit more official and easily accessed.

I can help you with info if needed...

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
Last edit: 17 Jun 2018 16:42 by JTinney (Swordsaint).
18 Jun 2018 21:52 #17 by Caoimhe(Keeva) (tori.pringle62)
Replied by Caoimhe(Keeva) (tori.pringle62) on topic Celt/Highland Clans and The Black Watch
Thanks! Sorry, I was going to respond, but I decided to do some research into clan names and historical locations(specifically irish) and tartans before I responded. I decided on a clan name, Beaghain, which I believe uses the tartan from Meath.
Though my character has not been exiled from her clan, she is currently on a bit of a highly suggested self bettering arc that, until she feels she is meeting her clan's standards of being an upstanding and respectable person, she isn't exactly welcomed back.
I don't currently own any Meath tartan, so I think I can explain my lack of clan-linked tartan to acquiring clothes away from her home and not specifically being associated with them right now, but at some point when I think her arc has gotten to a point where it would make sense for her to identify with her clan again, I'll get some.
So currently, my character's name is Caoimhe Ní Beaghain (keeva ni baaghun), though she probably still won't spread that around too much.
Does this sound like a good idea/system?
Oog - Tori Pringle

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
19 Jun 2018 11:29 #18 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic Celt/Highland Clans and The Black Watch
I'm popping in to appreciate your dedication to the culture and the story arc of your character. Rock on!

• JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
22 Jun 2018 10:20 - 22 Jun 2018 10:24 #19 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
Madame,

Looks like you have it figured out along with the backstory. I know as my PC (and meself) There will be no judgement unless you are quite the scoundrel; there are more than a few Celt Mercs in Travance. Some wear their colors, some don't. :)

From looking up the tartans of County Meath, there is an inexpensive one for when ye ready; looks like an acrylic runs about 80 bucks plus shipping from Atlanta Kilts.

All the other kilt companies I know of and checked.... are of the wool variety and run over 270 bucks if you go with County Meath.

I'm certain there are some deals out there- good luck on the hunt and Welcome!

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
Last edit: 22 Jun 2018 10:24 by JTinney (Swordsaint).
22 Jun 2018 20:18 #20 by Caoimhe(Keeva) (tori.pringle62)
Fair enough :)
Thank you!
I actually plan on buying a bolt of fabric so I can make one to my own preferences, I've been doing a bit of pattern meshing to create a pair of hakama shorts that have the appearance of a kilt. It might end up being more expensive that way, but then I know I'll have exactly what I want.
In the meantime, I've made a prototype that worked very well, and am midway through a second that I've made a few design alterations to, such as altering the back pleats so they all face the same direction as in a kilt, and on the winter one that I bought cloth for, I plan on trying to introduce leather buckle closures instead of ties to pull together the look.
Should be fun!

• JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
23 Jun 2018 10:39 #21 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
Tori,

I look forward to seeing the results and hope to meet you both In Game and out. I'll be at event this month if you are.

-John

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Caoimhe(Keeva) (tori.pringle62)
23 Jun 2018 14:57 #22 by Caoimhe(Keeva) (tori.pringle62)
I will be!

The following user(s) said Thank You: JTinney (Swordsaint), Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
10 Nov 2018 22:55 #23 by Harl MacGruer (Brichtmar)
Replied by Harl MacGruer (Brichtmar) on topic Celt/Highland Clans and The Black Watch
Hullo from a future Hibernian!
Glad I stumbled across this thread. I would love information on the clans in Travance. Also more details on the Daemon War versus Xualla, might be able to use that in my character's history.
I already have a great kilt in the Fraser hunting weathered Tartan that I wear to PRF. Looking to get out to NPC come the new year. Early thoughts on my character(and I'm still reading the rules and learning), Hybrid Class Bounty Hunter(Rogue/Warrior). It's a work in progress, but great to hear that there are a group of Hibernians to show me the way.

Thanks in advance,
'Slàinte Mhath!'
-Kevin

“Life's a forge! Yes, and hammer and anvil, too! You'll be roasted, smelted, and pounded, and you'll scarce know what's happening to you. But stand boldly to it! Metal's worthless till it's shaped and tempered! -Hevydd the Smith
The following user(s) said Thank You: Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
12 Nov 2018 00:01 #24 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic Celt/Highland Clans and The Black Watch
There's some information about Xualla here:
www.knightrealms.com/in-game/the-baronia...-dawn-of-heroes.html

Time to create page: 0.700 seconds