Silly new to the east coast question

27 Oct 2011 22:24 - 27 Oct 2011 22:31 #1 by Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
Silly new to the east coast question was created by Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
Hello all my name is Sean and I plan on coming out to the December event as my first event. As I am from the West Coast, this might be a silly question, but how cold does it get at the events in the winter. Any suggestions on clothing or ideas of where to get good warm clothing?

There will be at least 2 new people at the December game most likely four of us. We saw the booth at NYCC, if any of you who read this were there I was the Green Power Ranger who kept stoping by, and can't wait to join y'all at this. The 480 rule book is a little daunting but we hope to have costumes and weapons built and gathered for the event but any hints or suggestions for us newbies to KR?

Also for a first game what is expected for clothing/weapons how little is too little?

Thanks and we look forward to joining you guys.

Anhil Shadesar, Knight of Kaladonia

Storyteller
Last edit: 27 Oct 2011 22:31 by .
  • shalok
  • in vino veritas
  • Thank Yous: 17
27 Oct 2011 22:33 #2 by shalok (shalok)
Replied by shalok (shalok) on topic Re: Silly new to the east coast question
Hey Sean I'm Sean,

You can check out my webpage larpexchange.com for items I carry.  I do sales at events if you need to try anything out.  Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Sean Mahoney
www.larpexchange.com
NS4G via Tapatalk

~Knight Templar Shalok Kensington of the Order of the Valiant Shield
Master of the Hunt

oog- Mahoney
Larp Armor and Latex Weapons- larpexchange.com
  • Shiver
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 129
27 Oct 2011 22:35 #3 by Shiver (Shiver)
Replied by Shiver (Shiver) on topic Silly new to the east coast question
Hey Sean,

Great to hear from you again.

It can get way cold, or not be too bad.  I suggest layers.  inexpensive passable warm layers are black sweat clothes, under armor type stuff.  You can put your costume over them.  A cloak or cape is a good idea as well.  Easier to find around Haloween.

As far as hints, come with a character concept (race with make up or prosthetics if nec., class and skills) to help quick character creation at logistics.  Talk to people once you are there to get a feel for stuff and attend new player training.  Our staff and players are friendly, so dont be shy.

Joe

Lucius Blackthorne
Lord of Alisandria

Guild Officer of The Black Orchid Merchant Company

Of the Ram and Raven

“History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

"The godly tongue distills honey, mankind's tether of amber and gold. This is my verdict.

For neither are kingdoms conquered by iron, Nor dies the mighty by the spear.

Men are felled by what they fail to believe in."

((Joe Bondi-Marketing Officer))
  • Casandra
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Let me take you on a journey like no other...
  • Thank Yous: 206
27 Oct 2011 22:40 #4 by Casandra (Casandra)
Replied by Casandra (Casandra) on topic Silly new to the east coast question
Hi Sean,
I remember you!
Glad to hear your coming to an event, looking forward to seeing you again.

Although you are not required to have a character history for your first event, it might be something to think about, as it helps to get into the role. Feel free to send me anything you need reviewed.

Casandra Blackthorne
Lady of Alisandria

Merchant and Professional Absintheur
Black Orchid Merchant Company

27 Oct 2011 23:12 #5 by Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
Replied by Sean Moulson (Moulson13) on topic Silly new to the east coast question
I can't wait to come out. Another question after reading I was wondering if anyone could go into more detail of what the archery test is like? "In order to use a bow, you must first pass a test under the supervision of a Rules Marshal". If its an accuracy test I might be in trouble....  :-\

Storyteller
28 Oct 2011 00:43 #6 by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred)
Replied by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred) on topic Silly new to the east coast question
The Archery check is more about making sure the bow and the arrows you bring are safe, not about if you can shoot an arrow off you son's head :-).

As for the clothing, I do suggest a good warm base layer if it's going to be cold at night.  Just recently there was a post where they suggested patagonia, I use underarmor because they have my size.  Also, bring gloves, and wear good socks. Having an ingame cowl helps too! (I have a cowl/cloak and a full jacket from Half Moon, and I love them both).

If you plan on staying indoors all winter, you might not have too tough a time, but being an NPC on the late night shift when the weather dips down to around 0 degrees F and the wind is picking up, can get really cold.  Better safe then sorry.

-OOG Michael Smith
  • Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 2677
28 Oct 2011 09:40 #7 by Gallion (Gallion)
Replied by Gallion (Gallion) on topic Silly new to the east coast question
Hey Sean,

Glad you decided to come join us! It was great meeting you at the Con! See you soon ;)

- James C. Kimball Director, Knight Realms
  • Velius
  • Never walk into a fair fight when walking into an unfair fight is an option.
  • Thank Yous: 76
28 Oct 2011 12:33 #8 by Velius (Velius)
Replied by Velius (Velius) on topic Silly new to the east coast question

The Archery check is more about making sure the bow and the arrows you bring are safe, not about if you can shoot an arrow off you son's head :-).

Mike just reminded me of something...

Whatever list of clothing and costuming you were bringing, add in an athletic cup.

"I don't always NPC. But when I do, it's for years at a time."
28 Oct 2011 20:27 #9 by Ehlenathelasa Blacktree (ehlena)
Replied by Ehlenathelasa Blacktree (ehlena) on topic Silly new to the east coast question

Mike just reminded me of something...

Whatever list of clothing and costuming you were bringing, add in an athletic cup.

Shhhhhhh....

All hunters die. But not today.

OOG Jenna L.
Main: Ehlenathelasa Blacktree
Alt: Hazar Bint Sha'Haban
Alt: Erim Walker [Retired]
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
28 Oct 2011 20:32 #10 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Silly new to the east coast question
In the 10 years I have been playing, I have never taken a shot to the groin.

That being said, I probably just doomed myself...

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • nyle
  • Thank Yous: 0
28 Oct 2011 23:51 #11 by nyle (nyle)
Replied by nyle (nyle) on topic Silly new to the east coast question
tractor supply has a nice selection of thermal under Armour and hand warmers two.

Nyle McLaughlin Vassal of Pendarvin

OOG curt pantuso
  • Seámus Aeislin
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Glaine ár gcroí! Neart ár ngéag! Beart de réir ár mbriathar!
  • Thank Yous: 30
29 Oct 2011 03:10 #12 by Seámus Aeislin (Seámus_Aeislin)
Replied by Seámus Aeislin (Seámus_Aeislin) on topic Silly new to the east coast question

In the 10 years I have been playing, I have never taken a shot to the groin.

That being said, I probably just doomed myself...

What the hell Geoff?  Imust be getting all of the ones you somehow dodged... Why, main mod alone last October as NPC... No fewer than one and a half dozen... And that was even without Jenna and her bow floating around!

IG:
Main - Sir Seámus Aeislin of the Clan MacInnes

Alt - Boryev Solvei, Baro of the Solvei Kampania
#bigtomdidnuffinwrong
OOG - Shane Johnson
Monster Marshal
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
29 Oct 2011 20:01 - 29 Oct 2011 20:06 #13 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Silly new to the east coast question

No fewer than one and a half dozen... And that was even without Jenna and her bow floating around!

Jenna doesn't need her bow for groin shots. I know this for fact.  :'(

As for the OP... Amazon.com, Patagonia, Under Armour... the list goes on.  I won't endorse any 1 brand.  Instead I will ask that you pack a few changes of long underwear/thermals/whatever you use. When larping, I have found I will go through a few changes of these due to sweating during fighting, & then freezing while waiting in ambush or while guarding folks.  Warm, clean, DRY layers are key during winter larping.

It's October and we already have this happening.  When you come during December, it could be nicer, or it could be much worse.  Play it safe.

Edit: added link.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
Last edit: 29 Oct 2011 20:06 by .
29 Oct 2011 21:14 - 29 Oct 2011 21:18 #14 by Ehlenathelasa Blacktree (ehlena)
Replied by Ehlenathelasa Blacktree (ehlena) on topic Silly new to the east coast question

Jenna doesn't need her bow for groin shots. I know this for fact.  :'(

You know, its not *my* fault my swing zone perfectly coincides with your groin level: I'm a midget, and you're all 8' tall pituitary freaks.

OP, don't forget plenty of blankets and a warm sleeping bag. If you don't have a sleeping bag at all yet, I recommend splurging the extra few bucks for the ones that are rated for below freezing temperatures. Even though most of the buildings are heated in winter, you're going to be glad you have one on those spring and "summer" nights when we sleep in the tents and the temperature decides its going to drop down from 98 to 35.

All hunters die. But not today.

OOG Jenna L.
Main: Ehlenathelasa Blacktree
Alt: Hazar Bint Sha'Haban
Alt: Erim Walker [Retired]
Last edit: 29 Oct 2011 21:18 by .
  • Casandra
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Let me take you on a journey like no other...
  • Thank Yous: 206
29 Oct 2011 21:43 - 29 Oct 2011 21:45 #15 by Casandra (Casandra)
Replied by Casandra (Casandra) on topic Silly new to the east coast question
thread officially derailed... ;)

Casandra Blackthorne
Lady of Alisandria

Merchant and Professional Absintheur
Black Orchid Merchant Company

Last edit: 29 Oct 2011 21:45 by .
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
30 Oct 2011 02:48 #16 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Silly new to the east coast question

You know, its not *my* fault my swing zone perfectly coincides with your groin level: I'm a midget, and you're all 8' tall pituitary freaks.

Did you just call me a 8' tall pituitary freak? Seriously?  How many Big & Talls do you see in China?  :P

Vassal of Alisandria
  • Gregor
  • Thank Yous: 10
31 Oct 2011 16:48 #17 by Gregor (Caleb)
Replied by Gregor (Caleb) on topic Silly new to the east coast question
...its ok Paul, when Jenna hits you in the groin, just call BACKPACK for a defense.

Gregor Borowitz
Court Healer of Alisandria

Guild Member of the Black Orchid Merchant Company

OOG:Stephen Bukovsky
31 Oct 2011 22:44 - 01 Nov 2011 04:40 #18 by Ded Dawg O'Doul (Mohammad)
Replied by Ded Dawg O'Doul (Mohammad) on topic Silly new to the east coast question
I have not heard the words Silk or Wool mentioned as layers for regulating temperatures

I teach the BSA youths during Klondike Derbies  that "Cotton Kills"  

Cotton should be avoided at all costs during cool/cold weather as we all sweat with heavy activity and cotton holds in the moisture  and rapidly cools the body down starting the Hypothermic symptom of shivering, then can progress into serious trouble

Check the Good Will and Salvation Army or other thrift stores for used sleeping bags  wool sweaters  
Visiting the thrift stores is a little like playing the Lotto  . Sometimes you win, Sometimes you don't

I have found many useful cold weather gear items at thrift stores

Layers of wool and silk are the key with some method of opening/closing the front to vent and regulate body temp  Also wear a hat

I too really like the HalfMoon stuff

Silk underwear can be bought at Cabelas or Bass Pro

We hold in our hands the harvest of what we have sown in Hope. Do we sow for Good? or for Evil?

Ded Dawg O'Doul

OOG = Dave Sullivan Sr; Indiana

Kanarak=VC999 Institutional Head
PC = Ded Dawg O'Doul. Inn Keeper
NPC = Huh! The Dumbest of the Ale Belly Ogres
Last edit: 01 Nov 2011 04:40 by .
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
01 Nov 2011 15:25 #19 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Silly new to the east coast question
There is some 7 foot plus NBA guy from China.  :)  Remember the Yogi Berra commercial?

Silk as a base layer works great.  Wook or fleece as part of tye layers ditto.  Wool socks as an option.  Brink a decent hat, even if you have a full head of hair.

My taking hits to the groin have mostly been due to deflected arrows.

Jenna - you are a perfect height.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • Moirya
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 35
01 Nov 2011 15:40 #20 by Moirya (Moirya)
Replied by Moirya (Moirya) on topic Silly new to the east coast question
Honestly, I cannot preach the greatness of seriously warm thermals. It will only get colder out and they will absolutely be useful. I find myself using my wool thermals and socks for alittle over 5 months a year, I am a normally frigid person though so my standard is alittle below the normal human functioning levels. But I tend to wear wool socks, thermals and then 3-4 layers of clothing on top of that with a wool cloak lined with fleece.

That being said, a good deal of sports stores sell thermals and it never hurts to get a set of thermals designed for very cold temperatures because at worse, you take off an outer layer.

Also, depending on your foot wear.. I'd really advise wool socks. If you have good snow/cold weather boots, maybe you can get away with not having a pair but if you don't want wet cold feet.. well, yeah, wool socks, get them.

Prin mainile mele,
Moirya Arkanian
Squire to Sir Magnus Von-Ritter
Lieutenant of the Baronial Guard

OOG : Sam Dio
Logistics Marshal / New Player Marshal
  • Kelly
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thank Yous: 134
01 Nov 2011 16:04 #21 by Kelly (Kelly)
Replied by Kelly (Kelly) on topic Silly new to the east coast question
Wool socks or the hunting socks that come in a set with the liner and the wool that goes over it. I've never been more miserable at game than when my feet are cold and wet.

Dame Zafrin Yhatzi
Knight of Drega'mire

OOG: Kelly Osborne
  • Velius
  • Never walk into a fair fight when walking into an unfair fight is an option.
  • Thank Yous: 76
01 Nov 2011 17:11 #22 by Velius (Velius)
Replied by Velius (Velius) on topic Silly new to the east coast question

Silk as a base layer works great.  Wook or fleece as part of tye layers ditto. 

The rough part is trying to shave Chewbacca while keeping your arms in their sockets.

"I don't always NPC. But when I do, it's for years at a time."
01 Nov 2011 20:15 #23 by Ded Dawg O'Doul (Mohammad)
Replied by Ded Dawg O'Doul (Mohammad) on topic Silly new to the east coast question
www.hmoon.com/

Here is a link to the Half Moon stuff that Mike mentioned

If "The Seamstress" here at KR has any , she makes really great wool cloaks.  I have bought four of them from her

We hold in our hands the harvest of what we have sown in Hope. Do we sow for Good? or for Evil?

Ded Dawg O'Doul

OOG = Dave Sullivan Sr; Indiana

Kanarak=VC999 Institutional Head
PC = Ded Dawg O'Doul. Inn Keeper
NPC = Huh! The Dumbest of the Ale Belly Ogres
03 Nov 2011 10:25 - 03 Nov 2011 11:11 #24 by Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
Replied by Sean Moulson (Moulson13) on topic Silly new to the east coast question
So another question: what's the easiest way for some people from the city to get out to the events?

---
I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.735886,-73.993509

Storyteller
Last edit: 03 Nov 2011 11:11 by .
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
03 Nov 2011 12:54 #25 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)

So another question: what's the easiest way for some people from the city to get out to the events?
I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.735886,-73.993509

For some of us NYC folks... if you cannot get a ride with someone, then public transportation is available.  If you do have a car, then goto the Directions to Events page.  If not, you can try the following...

1. Goto NY Penn Station at 34th Street & 8th Ave.
2. Take the NJT train to Dover (There are 2 lines.  The "Montclair-Boonton" and/or the "Morristown" .)
3. Get off at Dover Station & take a cab to the Camp Sac.  The cab will run you around $30 to $40.  If the driver doesn't know the location, simply tell him/her to take Route 15 North.  Stay on Route 15 all the way until it becomes a 2 lane road & then make a right turn on White Lake Road.
4. Go past all the houses until you see a large barn & white building on your right hand side.  You should see a bunch of cars parked in front of the location, as well as a line trees creating a wall/fence on front.  The front door has a sign on top.

Vassal of Alisandria
03 Nov 2011 20:38 #26 by Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
Thanks. Again everyone has been so helpful.

A few more technical questions. I've decided profession and race and want to start writing a background but is there a place to read the history of the world or something like that. The worksheet doesn't give me much help. Also I'm looking for a good place to get ear tips for an elf. Any recommendations? Thanks again to everyone.

---
I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.722943,-73.590185

Storyteller
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
03 Nov 2011 21:26 #27 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Silly new to the east coast question
For World Setting, hit up "The Baronial Library" on the left, in the In-Game section.  All of the information there is freely available to players, and considered "common knowledge."

For ear tips, James has a post under "Realizing the Character" that has his preferred vendor for elf ears.

As much as this sounds odd (and please don't take offense to this!), it's a good idea to work your way through the forums and read all of the "Sticky" posts at least once.  I know it's almost human nature to avoid a post as soon as it's made Sticky and thus highlighted and important (I do it all the time, myself...  :-[ ), but if you set yourself to do it once, you'll find a TON of useful information that will make your life much easier.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
03 Nov 2011 22:20 #28 by Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
Sounds good. Thanks.

---
I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.725462,-73.860612

Storyteller
04 Nov 2011 12:29 #29 by Sean Moulson (Moulson13)

For ear tips, James has a post under "Realizing the Character" that has his preferred vendor for elf ears.

I have scoured the board and can not find this post to save my life. Can you either link it or give me a more detailed place that it is? I'm sorry.

Storyteller
04 Nov 2011 13:06 #30 by Draknar DoKanen (Draknar DoKanen)
Replied by Draknar DoKanen (Draknar DoKanen) on topic Silly new to the east coast question
That's because Geoff sent you on a wild goose chase :P

The post he's referring to is actually in the "Marketplace" section of the forums.  Its the fourth post from the top.  I'm posting from my phone, otherwise I'd link it for you, but hopefully you'll be able to find it now.

Sean

Skimmel
RP Marshal, Rules Marshal, Storyteller
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.752 seconds