The History of Nogging Eggs

• Rudolf
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 140
16 Nov 2009 10:30 #1 by Rudolf (Rudolf)
The History of Nogging Eggs was created by Rudolf (Rudolf)
My friends and customers,

I was lucky enough to have recently attended the Masquerade Ball in Winterdark, and I brought along a tasty beverage from my youth called Eggnog.

Several people asked me during the evening, "Rudolf, how does one nog an egg?"  Well, I shall give you two tales of the history of this delicious beverage, and you may choose which one you wish to believe.

Many folks may not know, but in times past in our beloved Kingdom of Kormyre, a small wooden mug (usually maintained for the consumption of alcohol) was known as a noggin.  This egg filled beverage, usually served with brandy or sherry, hence was known as an egg in noggin (which was eventually shortened to eggnog).

Now, there is another tale which may also explain the name.  Across the Rift here in Travance, such expensive liquors as brandy and sherry were not so readily available.  However, with ships arriving daily in Drega'Mire, they brought with them a very inexpensive and plentiful liquor we all know and love, rum.  What many may not know is that, aboard a ship, rum served to the crew is known as grog.  And so, in port towns, this beverage was served as egg and grog, which was eventually shortened to egg'n'grog and eventually to just eggnog.

I hope this has been informative to my friends and customers.  I wish you all the best and may your days be as sweet as my kandies.

Rudolf Von Kreutzdorf
Von Kreutzdorf Alkemikal Kandies

Lord Rudolf Von Kreutzdorf of Ostcliff
Golden Rose Trading Company
OOG - Larry Wile (Marshal)
  • Hadrian Thane
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • The night is dark and full of terrors.
  • Thank Yous: 3
16 Nov 2009 11:37 #2 by Hadrian Thane (GBino)
Replied by Hadrian Thane (GBino) on topic The History of Nogging Eggs
As the Steward of Dreaga'Mire, I heartily approve the second of these possible origins.

-Sir Apollo Abendroth

/* OOG
* Rob G.
* Rules Marshal, Margrave
*/
Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.455 seconds