June Chronicle

• Portia
  • Thank Yous: 2
22 Jul 2010 13:12 #1 by Portia (estark01)
June Chronicle was created by Portia (estark01)
[size=20pt]Travance Chronicles[/size]
“All the news that’s fit to print”
-collected by Portia Rom for June 1210

Note: The Chronicle will be on hiatus in July and August, but will resume in September. In the meantime, please do continue to send all tips, occurrences, information and corrections to Portia care of the Dragon's Claw Inn.

[size=16pt]Glommites Defeated[/size]

Travance defeated a Glommite plot after a protracted battle on Saturday evening.

An ancient Glommite General of fearsome power had been summoned from beyond the grave on Friday night after a new member of town disturbed an artifact in an ancient grave on an expedition led by an itinerant and famous bishop of Chronicler. According to a document found in the tomb, in the early days of our Empire, Heraldur, a black general dedicated to Glomm, did battle with Constantus, a general who was also a priest of Syrith, a deity of justice that pre-dates Valos. Constantus had a white horn and Heraldur a black one, the black horn striking fear into Constantus’ army, and vice versa. It is unclear how Constantus won the battle in the face of Heraldur’s superior forces, but somehow, Heraldur’s force was vanquished and although Constantus fell, his son carried on.

Travance was able to gain control of the white horn, and participated in a number of encounters with beings that came through a mysterious conduit during the day on Saturday. That night, the town met the horde of Glommites, perhaps summoned to the area by the resuscitated Heraldur, and after more than an hour of fighting, Travance evidently prevailed.

Friday Evening
  Light Mass in Monastery, Fr. Harroldson presiding
  Galladelians meet in Pendarvin Statehouse, Fr. Morgan LaBell presiding

Saturday
10 bells
    Mage’s Guild meeting
    Drega’Mire Brunch
12 bells
    Trade meeting in inn, Ming Na presiding.
1 bell in the afternoon
      Market Faire begins
After Market Faire
      Mass to Brazen in the armory, Fr Zahir presiding

Feast

Pendarvin, Hibernians Sign Trade Deal

Lord Ardentfyre has confirmed that the trade deal between Pendarvin and the Hibernians is moving forward, pending the success of a trial exchange of goods between the two lands. The first exchange will include the importation of fine livestock from Hibernia.

Von Kreutzdorf Alkhemikal Kandies & Apothecarium - Whatever your need, be it herbal, alkhemikal, or confectionary, we have it.  Be sure to visit our booth at Market Faire!  Ask for Rudolf and remember, It's the Gummy that makes it Yummy!

[size=16pt]Ethan Archangel Returns to Travance[/size]
Rumors of death greatly exaggerated.
By Cyric McKraegar

Last month, Cyric McKraegar and Lugh McSweeney discovered a broken and bloodied man hiding behind Travance's Forge who claimed to be an escaped slave and former thief. He was cared for, clothed, and given the name Connor, since he said he could not remember his own.

Soon afterward, the thickly-accented Connor dropped his disguise and revealed himself to be Ethan Archangel, a powerful and famous sorcerer, returned from self imposed exile. According to Billliam McKraegar, Archangel stated that he was testing the town to see if the indifference that drove him to leave remained. That he was cared for satisfied his questions, and he appears to have decided to remain in Travance indefinitely.

Ethan Archangel reportedly died in February, when a deadly plague ravaged Travance and many townsfolk perished attempting to retrieve a cure from the Howling Void.

____
Put some zip in your lip and pep in your step with Portia’s Pickles, available at Market Faire.
_____

Billiam Names Constellation

Billiam McKraegor has named a constellation “Kraken” after the legendary sea beast. To see the Kraken, stand in front of the inn around midnight in the summer. Locate the big dipper in the sky, then turn so you are facing the exact opposite direction. Keep Orion behind you and to your right. Just above the inn, you will see a cluster of six stars representing the body of the Kraken and two of its tentacles.

______
Word of the Moon
Bereft adj. lacking something, especially something nonmaterial.
e.g. “Dr. Maxwell found himself bereft of pants.” “The Galamachians were bereft of conscience.”

Brought to you by Church of the Chronicler.

_______

[size=10pt]IN YOUR WORDS[/size]
[size=14pt]Scholar Finds Second Home[/size]
By Belegchand Dìnephilin

I love the city of Tirioswyena in the Royal Kingdom of Quinarian, my small library and school in the Valley of Shards. I never thought I would find a new home, but I have.  I came to Travance to figure out my familial history, a job I thought would take no longer than a fortnight. But at the last Baronial Feast, I felt a new inexplicable pull to this place.

Travance is a different place from what I am used to. Never before have I seen so many people living together from different walks of life.  My first night at the inn, I shared a bottle of wine with a man the land of Coast Haven, a Northlander, a man from the Distant Continent, and a few people who jingle merrily about.  I saw Highlanders, Selendrians, and Goblinoids of all varieties mingling together.  From the Race of Feline Descent to those who descended from the Fae, ever imaginable walk of life was among me.  Travance is truly a curious place.

The people of Travance also demonstrate true comradeship. I would never have dreamed of standing next to a Northlander on the field of battle, nor protecting a Khitan's shield with my staff. And I never thought a Highlander, much less two, and a Satyr would ever be needed to keep me safe.  Yet, they did so without a question. (Granted, who truly would expect a Quinarian scholar to be much for defending himself!)  This is the reason I can call Travance a second home: in the face of a thousand perils, in the eyes of death itself, some fellow Travancean is watching, waiting to help.

_______
Blade’s Smokables
Buy cigar.  Make happy you!

[size=14pt]Child-eating Goblins Defeated[/size]

A group of Travanceans eliminated a vicious group of goblins on Saturday afternoon. The goblins had enslaved numerous children and were using their slave labor to fuel fires used for baking cookies. As the children became too exhausted to work further, they were killed and used to fuel the fires, or according to several accounts, mixed into the foul batter.

Travance overcame the goblins after a quick and dirty battle.

Corrections
A previous Chronicle erroneously stated that Vardemus Worthington opened a portal into an alternate reality containing a cure for the plague that ripped through town early this year. In fact, Worthington says, he helped close that portal.

This edition of the Travance Chronicle has been generously sponsored by Father Edwin Haroldson, of the church of Valos; and Rudolf Von Kreutzdorf of Von Kreutzdorf Alkhemikal Kandies & Apothecarium.

Portia "Nosy McGee" Rom, Chroniclerite