Mithril Chef Contest!

• Rudolf
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 140
07 Jul 2011 15:57 - 01 Aug 2011 15:19 #1 by Rudolf (Rudolf)
Mithril Chef Contest! was created by Rudolf (Rudolf)
Travance’s First Annual Mithril Chef Competition

Nobles and Subjects of Travance! It is with great pleasure that I announce Travance’s first annual Mithril Chef competition. Who shall be named our beloved Barony’s first Mithril Chef? This event, sponsored by the Merchant’s Guild of Travance, shall take place during the month of September on the weekend of the Baronial Feast. It shall take place during Market Faire in the Main Feasting Hall. The event will be broken down into two phases.

Phase One is open to all competitors. The requirements for Phase One are to present a savory dish in pie form to the Merchant's Guildmaster at the beginning of Market Faire. The dish need not have a crust, but must be presented in a pie tin. Examples might include beef and mushroom, vegetable medley, quiche, or shepherd’s pie. No desserts will be accepted.

From each pie, some small portions will be set aside for the judges. The rest of the pie shall be made available for sale to the assembled nobles and subjects of Travance. At approximately half past eleven bells, the judges shall convene to begin tasting. From the various entries, four winners shall be announced by twelve bells. If there are less than four entries into the contest, all entries shall advance to the next phase.

Phase Two shall consist of these winners being provided ingredients to create a specific dish which will be announced at that time. A secret ingredient shall also be announced which must somehow be included in the dish.  These contestants shall have until one bell in the afternoon to create the dish and present it to the judges.

At half past one bell, the votes shall be tallied and Travance’s first Mithril Chef shall be announced.  Each of the Phase Two contestants shall receive prizes depending upon how they placed in the voting and the Grand Prize Winner shall be awarded the Apron of the Mithril Chef and a bounty of mithril.

So, join us at the September Baronial Feast for food and fun as we determine who shall be named…Mithril Chef!

By my hand on this day, the 7th of July, 1211,

Lord Rudolf Von Kreutzdorf of Ostcliff
Golden Rose Trading Company
OOG - Larry Wile (Marshal)
Last edit: 01 Aug 2011 15:19 by .
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
07 Jul 2011 16:29 #2 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Mithril Chef Contest!
I do have a question regarding the second phase of the competition.  Will competitors be allowed use of the Dragon's Claw kitchen, or must they provide their own utensils & cooking fires should they decide to prepare the surprise ingredients in a form that requires cooking?  I do not know how expansive is the kitchen within Jonas' generous establishment.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • rivanyasi
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Opportunity lets you find, Skill lets you procure.
  • Thank Yous: 42
07 Jul 2011 17:47 #3 by rivanyasi (rivanyasi)
Replied by rivanyasi (rivanyasi) on topic Mithril Chef Contest!
What should those of us who wish to compete do to let you know? Should we send a messenger your way, simply add a note here, or are competitors simply permitted to present a dish to you at Market Faire?

Also, since meat pies are the qualifying dish, will there be a means of storing and reheating all of the first phase entries?

Na'ar Chacov, Soul of the Stars.

Ayiri Amexis, Sorceress' Apprentice.
Lupta Tamasa, Torn and Blackened.

OOG: Riva A.
07 Jul 2011 22:27 #4 by Silverbow Patriarch (Ardin)
Replied by Silverbow Patriarch (Ardin) on topic Mithril Chef Contest!
As the Guildmaster, I eagerly await the presentation of the dishes to me for my tasting pleasure.  Thank you including me Rudolf.

Ardin Silverbow
Guildmaster

(OOG-Norm B)

Lord Ardin Silverbow
Lord of Pendarvin

"While others succumb, we overcome."
-Silverbow Motto

OOG: Norm B
Safety Deputy

"When I think of the greatness of my job and realize that I am what I am, I am amazed, but on reflection, who is as good as I am? I know of no one."
-George Patton(I wish Ardin had said this first)
  • Rudolf
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
08 Jul 2011 08:35 #5 by Rudolf (Rudolf)
Replied by Rudolf (Rudolf) on topic Mithril Chef Contest!
My Dear Guildmaster Silverbow,

While the intention of the notice was to have these dishes presented to the Merchant's Guildmaster, I would be delighted to have your refined palate join the other judges during Phase One of the Mithril Chef contest.

Sincerely,

10 Jul 2011 22:20 #6 by Ekatarina McKraegar (EkatarinaMcGregar)
Replied by Ekatarina McKraegar (EkatarinaMcGregar) on topic Mithril Chef Contest!
Rudolf, I am looking forward to this, but would like to know more about the Logistics of how phase two will work before I plan my dish for Phase 1.

Templar Ekatarina Esmeralda Kisslinger McKregar, Prophet of the Kindred Oak

Neina Avaren

OOC: Ann A.- Logistics Marshal
  • Gwynedd
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 17
11 Jul 2011 00:20 #7 by Gwynedd (Gwynedd)
Replied by Gwynedd (Gwynedd) on topic Mithril Chef Contest!
Dear Rudolf,

I would like to know what catergory that 2nd phase is.  Thank You!

In Joy, Love and Peace,

Gwynedd
OOG: Suzi Shaffer

What do you need of me?
  • Rudolf
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
01 Aug 2011 15:23 #8 by Rudolf (Rudolf)
Subjects of Travance,

Changes have been made to the Mitrhil Chef contest (it has been moved from August to September so as to coincide with the Tournament de Travancia).

Sincerely,

• Josephine
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • You're welcome.
  • Thank Yous: 64
02 Aug 2011 12:58 #9 by Josephine (mferro54)
Replied by Josephine (mferro54) on topic Mithril Chef Contest!
As the date has changed to a time when would be able to compete, I would also like to request more information about the logistics of the second phase.

IG: Josephine Weaveforger,
Carlotta OZ
OOG: Mary Bouchard (nee Ferro)
  • Chris G.
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Our Life is Made by the Death of Others...
  • Thank Yous: 95
03 Aug 2011 15:31 #10 by Chris G. (Cross)
Replied by Chris G. (Cross) on topic Mithril Chef Contest!
Guildmaster Rudolf,

May I inquire as to what this Tournament de Travancia is?

Thank you,
Lucas R. Brand

[hr]
Squire Lucas R. Brand
Squire to Lord Antrim Ardentfyre
--
Tanis Rily'anna
--
OOG: Chris Goley
Mook
03 Aug 2011 16:31 #11 by Ekatarina McKraegar (EkatarinaMcGregar)
Replied by Ekatarina McKraegar (EkatarinaMcGregar) on topic Mithril Chef Contest!
Rudolf,

I am growing concerned with the fact that you have been asked by multiple people about the logistics of phase two and we have not heard an answer since the first request was made in early July. Where will the Phase 2 Contestants be allowed to cook?  Will it be on open flame or will we have 4 cooks in a very small kitchen in the inn or guards barracks?

Templar Ekatarina Esmeralda Kisslinger McKregar, Prophet of the Kindred Oak

Neina Avaren

OOC: Ann A.- Logistics Marshal
  • Josephine
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • You're welcome.
  • Thank Yous: 64
04 Aug 2011 13:03 #12 by Josephine (mferro54)
Replied by Josephine (mferro54) on topic Mithril Chef Contest!
And if we will not be using the Inn's main kitchen, and I assume we will not be with feast preparations going on, what sort of tools / ingredients will be available for our use, and how much will we need to provide for ourselves?

IG: Josephine Weaveforger,
Carlotta OZ
OOG: Mary Bouchard (nee Ferro)
  • Rudolf
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
04 Aug 2011 14:07 #13 by Rudolf (Rudolf)
Phase Two of the Mithril Chef contest will begin at midday once the four winners of Phase One have been announced by the judges.

At that time, the dish will be announced (and the ingredients necessary to make it will be provided including the "secret" ingedient).

Owing to the fact that the cooking portion of the contest will be concluded by one bell past midday, I do not feel this is an imposition on the people preparing the feast on Saturday night.  After all, anyone who enters the Mithril Chef contest is of such exemplary character that they would automatically know to clean up after themselves. To leave the kitchen in a state of uncleanliness after they were finished would make a contestant unworthy of the title of Mithril Chef.

At this time, I am awaiting confirmation from Quan Liu about use of the kitchen in the Dragon's Claw Inn.  If the Mithril Chef contestants are permitted to use the kitchen in the Dragon's Claw Inn, then that location, along with the kitchen in the Guard's barracks will be used.

With only four contestants, I do not feel that the contestants will be "tripping over each other" as it were.  The judges are also Travancians of high moral character and understanding.  If a contestant happens to finish their Phase Two entry first, I am sure the judges will be happy to sample the entry when it is ready.  The only constraint is that all entries must be presented to the judges prior to one bell past midday.

If you have any additional questions, I shall be more than delighted to answer them.

Sincerely,

Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.523 seconds